1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
30 Posts
So you watched that entire report and what you take from it is: "ElonMusk makes Trump look like an angel" Might we consider that your bias is showing?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I suggest you watch this fairly neutral reviewer with his brief review of the Model 3.
After you watch that review, come back and discuss how you think the car wont change the entire industry.
I love it at 12:00 when he's in the back seat with his knees to his chin and is back bent forward as he says the room "would be fine". So funny. Anyway it's not clear to me how this will work out. He thinks the inside is great because it's "so simple" but customers are demanding that automakers move away from screens and back to more traditional buttons and knobs. Maybe they didn't go far enough?

Anyway, the narrative this guy is trying to sell has nothing to do with the product. The product could be good or bad. Doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is Tesla's financial solvency. Can Tesla can stay in business by selling enough vehicles at high enough prices? To date Tesla has lost a boatload of dough, keeping investors and lenders on board by promising a rich future. Throwing that future into doubt should diminish investor optimism and drop Tesla's stock price. Since the future narrative rests on Elon Musk, if you want to depress the stock price it's obvious that the easiest way to accomplish this goal is to point out that his projections have been beyond horrible. Not really that complex.

As far as the actual product is concerned, here is a report by an analyst who has been long Tesla and who owns a Model X. He wasn't too impressed with the fit and finish of the Model 3 even from the best examples Tesla most likely has. https://www.yahoo.com/news/bernstein-analyst-finds-tesla-model-170800135.html My view is price driven. If the transaction price of a Model 3 is $50K, which is what I'm thinking, I don't see a ton of sales. Volume really drops off fast after $35K and a small sedan isn't a compelling offering.

So you watched that entire report and what you take from it is: "ElonMusk makes Trump look like an angel" Might we consider that your bias is showing?
Guy who stands to make a lot of money if Tesla stock goes lower is cited badmouth the company and Elon. Completely unexpected.
Hard to argue the point that that short sellers always want to paint the picture in a "certain way" aka the worst possible way. On the other hand, the company always wants to paint the picture in the most positive way.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I love it at 12:00 when he's in the back seat with his knees to his chin and is back bent forward as he says the room "would be fine". So funny. Anyway it's not clear to me how this will work out. He thinks the inside is great because it's "so simple" but customers are demanding that automakers move away from screens and back to more traditional buttons and knobs. Maybe they didn't go far enough?
I thought the same thing too, but keep in mind he is 6'4" and the front seat was adjusted so he can drive it. If I sit behind someone in a BMW 3er that has the seat adjusted for a 6'4" person... oh wait, that is hypothetical as I can't fit (really, I have tried). I am not keen on loss of knobs either, but that didn't slow smartphone adoption. Blackberry users had the same complaint about the iPhone, no physical keyboard. My point is, this won't slow sales of the car significantly.

You are right, sales of 70k model will of course be less than 35k model, but I could easily see this car outselling the BMW 3er world wide. The 3er has a production of 400,000 to 500,000 cars per year. The price range of the BMW 3er is roughly the same, from around $35k for an entry model to around $80k for a loaded M3.

As long as Tesla is investing capital in creating revenue growth, I think they will be financially solvent, and even if they went bankrupt now, the only people losing money are the investors, while the company would be sold to some other rich investor like Apple, GM, whomever, and keep going at this point. There is too much demand for their product.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts