GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our 2017 Volt Premier this past week and I noticed that the front leather seats are cloth on the inside-facing sides. It's the only place (back seats are all leather)- it's like they ran out of leather. :joy:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I've never seen leather upholstery material with a cloth backing. I've never seen vinyl upholstery material without a cloth, gauze-like backing. You're probably looking at the vinyl that is used in side panels or other non-seating areas of the seat cover.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've never seen leather upholstery material with a cloth backing. I've never seen vinyl upholstery material without a cloth, gauze-like backing. You're probably looking at the vinyl that is used in side panels or other non-seating areas of the seat cover.
You're exact right about the backing or lack thereof, but I'm sure the OP was talking about the sides of the seats.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Our 2011 Acadia had cloth on the inside of the seats. I thought it made the interior feel cheap.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is a new concept to me- all leather / leather appointed cars I've ever owned had leather or leather-like material on the sides. Cloth seems weird, but it doesn't bother me at all. It just seems arbitrary that it's only on one side of each of the front seats and nowhere else.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Make it happen, if something bothers you make it happen, get a few quotes form an upholstery shop to make the front seats full leather...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Overall, I believe it's just a case of decontenting to get the price down. My 2011s have no such cloth.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Make it happen, if something bothers you make it happen, get a few quotes form an upholstery shop to make the front seats full leather...
Oh, I don't care to change it- this isn't a luxury car by any stretch. I'm mostly just curious.

·
Registered
322 Posts
This is a new concept to me- all leather / leather appointed cars I've ever owned had leather or leather-like material on the sides. Cloth seems weird, but it doesn't bother me at all. It just seems arbitrary that it's only on one side of each of the front seats and nowhere else.
It sounds like it doesn't bother him, should he still make it happen?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
It sounds like it doesn't bother him, should he still make it happen?
I think he should get quotes...Very rarely do people say what they mean and may not even realize what their true thoughts are..."out of sight, out of mind"...It truly does not bother me and therefore I didn't start a thread about it...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think he should get quotes...Very rarely do people say what they mean and may not even realize what their true thoughts are..."out of sight, out of mind"...It truly does not bother me and therefore I didn't start a thread about it...
I assure you, I don't care enough to spend money/time on it. I was just curious if it was normal or if it was just my car (and I figured that would be unlikely). The effort to post here is low enough that I figured, why not? :)

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I assure you, I don't care enough to spend money/time on it. I was just curious if it was normal or if it was just my car (and I figured that would be unlikely). The effort to post here is low enough that I figured, why not? :)
Makes sense, cheers...

·
Registered
45 Posts
20160706_184211.jpg
The cost reduced materials do matter in this case. This is a photo of nasty wear on my 3 month old MY '17 drivers seat.

From what I can tell, the side of the seat is collapsing when I enter or leave the car and the plastic trim on the outside edge of the seat cushion is pinching and scraping against the simulated leather on the door side of the seat. I weigh about 200 lbs and I don't think I am being especially rough as I get in and out of the car. This is unacceptable for a car this new. I will be taking the issue up with the dealer on my next visit.

Has anyone else seen this pattern of wear?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The leather/seat cushioning in the 2017 Volt Premier is definitely on the cheap side. My other car, a Infiniti Q50S Hybrid, has thicker-feeling leather and firmer cushioning.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I thought I had read, that the seats, other than having the heated feature, also have AIR BAGS. Would a cloth panel be for setting up the deploy of an air bag should it need to operate???
Would a upolstery shop know about this and how to create a new seat cover to deploy correctly? Just asking..

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I thought I had read, that the seats, other than having the heated feature, also have AIR BAGS. Would a cloth panel be for setting up the deploy of an air bag should it need to operate???
Would a upolstery shop know about this and how to create a new seat cover to deploy correctly? Just asking..
Almost all, if not all, cars have seat airbags...Many automakers use upholstery shops to add leather to the vehicles so its a safe bet you'll be fine...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts