GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Debating between the 2 EVSE's.

I was planning on buying a Clipper Creek LCS-20 but just found that Home Depot is running a $100 off discount on the Schneider EV230WS 30AMP EVSE this month which, with sales tax, makes it $540.17 with free shipping (the LCS-20 is $408.50 with shipping).

I have 3 years on my new Ford Fusion Energi lease which, like the Volt, has a 3.3Kw charger so the LCS-20 should be sufficient for the term of that lease and it's 3 year warranty will cover me for that duration as well. The Schneider unit gives me some future proofing but only 18 months warranty for about $131 more.

I only hear great reviews of the LCS series EVSE's from users here, does anyone have experience with the Schneider one?

FYI: I already have a dedicated 30AMP circuit and NEMA 14-30 outlet that my homebuilder installed when they built the house, so for either one I'll be adding a 14-30 plug - knowing that if I did upgrade to a car with a bigger charger, I'd have to upgrade that circuit to 40A and running lower gauge wire. (really wishing I had specified 40A now)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I am a fan of Clipper Creek. Have you considered looking at an ABOVE level Clipper Creek than the LSC 20? Having said that, whenever I am struggling to make a purchase, I look at the "made where" symbol. I know that Clipper Creeks are made here and have a fantastic customer service department based right here. I even received a phone call from them to answer a question that I had sent in by email. WOW! Beat that for support. The 30 amp hard wired Clipper Creek is only $590.

·
Registered
160 Posts
CC is the one i like, one year with mine, no issues

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Future musings:
In GMworld everyone has 16A charging so an LCS-20 is good enough.
In Nissanworld everyone has 30A charging so the 30A charger would be preferred.
In Teslaworld everyone has 40A or 80A charging and the car's on-board charger avoids the EVSE requirement, so they install a NEMA 14-50, or get dual chargers and buy an HPWC.

Given that you are leasing, I'd suggest either:
- install the cheaper LCS-20 and take a look at the market again at end of your lease.
- try to future-proof now, have a NEMA 14-50 socket installed and buy a 6.6kW+ EVSE with a NEMA 14-50 plug.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Check the warranty period on each. What are they?
Mentioned than in my OP - LCS = 3 years, Schneider = 18 months

Another difference: the LCS 20 has a longer cable: 22' vs 18'

Haven't been able to determine where the Schneider is manufactured so I posted the question on the HD and Amazon.com product pages.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The more I discuss this with you guys (gals?), the more the LCS-20 sounds like the right choice.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The key item to your choice is the EV lease. Go fior the Clipper Creek EVSE, and after your lease ends, you can decide if you will still need that EVSE if you get another lease on the Fusion or on a new Volt. Or get a better EV (maybe a Focus BEV) and buy a new EVSE with a higher charge capacity (up to 40 A and 8 kW)). If you get a Tesla Motors Model S or X, then get the biggest capacity possible (and a new circuit installed).

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have used the Schneider for 2 years and it works fine is quiet and looks good on the wall. Mine was an older model and the new one has a nicer cord holder. I called Schneider and asked if I could buy the new holder and they sent me one without charge. I think it is American made.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Why would you want quicker charging for a fusion energi? It is only 7.6 kWh.
I have the Schneider and it has been flawless.
Because we do a lot of short trips that eat up the 20 miles AER and being able to put another 20 miles into it in 2.5 hours would increase our EV percentage greatly.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
The Clipper would be my choice if doing it over. My GE is nice and has a large capacity. It's way overkill for Volt though. And it's definitely NOT portable.

The problem with 'future-proofing' is that the future is largely unknown. My next car will probably have wireless charging making the GE obsolete.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went ahead and ordered the ClipperCreek LCS-20, it should be here by Friday. Thanks for all of the comments and advice.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I have a LCS-25 (same exact hardware as the LCS-20, just different software). At the time, the LCS 25 was the same price as the 20. Installed it late March, and it's been flawless ever since. I charge my Volt and C-Max Energi with it. You won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the record, I got an answer back on the Home Depot Q & A forum from a Schneider rep':
Thank you for your inquiry. EVlink charging stations are manufactured in our plant in Seneca, South Carolina.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, got the LCS-20 yesterday, ran to Home Depot and bought a NEMA 14-30 plug (my garage was wired with that kind of outlet by the builder) and attached it to the end of the cable.

Works like a charm and I like that it doesn't take much room on the wall.

Thanks for the recommendations.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Final install picture

Working like a charm - from 0 - 100 % SOC takes just over 2 hours.

I like how small it is on the wall too.

Cable Technology Electronic device Wire Electrical supply

1 - 20 of 25 Posts