GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the freeway this morning the icon on the climate control screen for decreasing the fan speed disappeared. Also the panel button for turning the fan speed down wasn't functional. Thus I could turn the fan up, but not down. I stopped the car at an off-ramp and powered the car down and then restarted it. Everything worked normal again.

Anyone else experience this?

climate.jpg

·
Registered
972 Posts
No. Did you try pushing "auto" on the button panel below the screen? I just leave it in auto. Only complaint is that the Apple touch controls below the display are too sensitive. When using other controls, I tend to drag my hand and get it off auto. An unpleasant surprise when it's 90° F and you end up with the heated seat on high!

·
Super Moderator
6,242 Posts
Good suggestion on the Auto ... that was my first thought and what I virtually always use.

When using other controls, I tend to drag my hand and get it off auto.
Use the 1" ledge to rest other fingers on while you use your index finger to touch the display. Works great.

Use ledge for touch screen CIMG3460 (Large).JPG
Use ledge for touch screen CIMG3461 (Large).JPG
CIMG3465 (Large).jpg
I also use other areas of the center stack to "feel" where buttons are like the MODE button ... ie. hitting twice for SPORT and 0/Zero worries about hitting the power button (that has a completely different feel - rounded and a rib around it)

Attachments

·
4,852 Posts
How aggressively were you driving?

I recently experienced this when my Volt was climbing Mount Washington, and I assumed it had to do with trying to keep the battery cool in a scenario that involved a lot of power and heat.

I took a similar picture to document it. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
I encountered this but the button that got greyed out for me was the one to increase the fan. It happened about a week ago, not sure why but likewise once I'd turned the car off then turned it back on the problem had gone away.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Mine got stuck in ECO mode yesterday. I could not change to COMFORT mode. Works ok today after shutting down and restarting. I haven't had any trouble with the fan speed though.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
For those of you seeing troubles, do you know if you have the original software that came with the car, or have you had an infotainment software update?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
If anyone experiences these climate control issues, merely document them (as closly as you can) and either call your Volt advisor or make an appointment to visit your dealer. There HAS been software updates issued for the radio, instrumentation, and climate control systems, specifically to rectify many of these.
WOT

·
Registered
118 Posts
WOT, I saw something you posted about a climate control issue that could be resolved with a software update but it looked like it only affected VINS up to 955 or so. I have one that is later than that and I've still run into this problem. Was there another more recent patch?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
WOT, I saw something you posted about a climate control issue that could be resolved with a software update but it looked like it only affected VINS up to 955 or so. I have one that is later than that and I've still run into this problem. Was there another more recent patch?
There's been a few other "developments" since then. If you've experienced ANY sort of control anomoly just try to document exacty what occured as best you can and contact your VA or Volt dealership. They will take it from there as to what will be neccessary to resolve it.
HTH
WOT

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Is there any way for an end user (aka "owner" :- ) to determine the software release levels of any/all of the modules in the car? Or is that only a dealer query/records thing?
Currently, there really isn't any "owner" ability to identify the many dozens of calibrations used throughout the Volt's 40 or so modules. The only real "end-user" method (in this case performed by a dealer technician) is to poll the various modules in order to reveal their current software levels via the MDI (Multiple Diagnostic Interface) and either GDS2 (permits reviewing but not changing the software) and/or TIS2WEB (permits establishing existing levels of revision as well as J2534 compliant flash-programming and "setup" of the various modules).

There are also various items (including certain radio and navigation database features) that are also updated via TISWEB using a USB thumb-drive via your Volt's USB port. For instance a recently released radio revision is designed to rectify various issues including the HDD "freeze-up" when attempting to play a multi-track M4A file (there's a thread in here somewhere on this concern) and is performed via the USB port.
This particular update specifically deals with:
• The audio cue may or may not sound.
• The tuning knob changes the FM frequency while in configuration/list mode.
• Multi track M4A's on the HDD are causing resets and/or lock ups until M4A is removed from HDD.
• Favorite Play/Genre/List are lost after a key cycle.

As such the dealer in-house information systems would quickly and effectively inform the technician of the availability of this software update, should he/she have a Volt that was demonstrating ANY of these issues. Had the VA been involved then they may have also contacted the dealer referencing the appropriate update documentation and/or Volt technical assistance would also direct them as such should they be contacted by the dealer. So there is certainly a decent mechanism in place to deal with such issues.

But keep in mind that unless a customer vehicle is experiencing an issue specifically addressed by any particular update, GM doesn't generally condone any "routine" updating. Therefore, right or wrong they will not (in general) reimburse dealers for warranty claims for routinely updating modules like it was some sort of "maintenance" but only if it's being performed to rectify a specific customer concern. ;)

About the only thing that CAN be done at the owner level as far as software tracking is to use GM's public domain "cal-id" web portal to identify the latest software versions that are currently "available", as well as the relevant revision history (with very limited "details" as to what they might accomplish)

So again, the best advice is to insure you immediately inform your VA and/or dealer should you experience any negative functionality or performance in your Volt. This accomplishes many things not the least of which is directing the priorities of the various software teams in identifying and rectifying any noted software deficiencies.

HTH
WopOnTour

3,600 Posts
@ Number719,

Thanks for posting, we are looking into this for you and we'll let you know what we find.

3,600 Posts
@ Number719,

Was this the only time it happened or has it happened other times to you as well?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Mine got stuck in ECO mode yesterday. I could not change to COMFORT mode. Works ok today after shutting down and restarting. I haven't had any trouble with the fan speed though.
I had just the opposite experience today. For the first time I could not change from Comfort to ECO mode. I almost always use ECO mode but today I switched to Comfort mode (auto). When I tried to switch to ECO the button did not respond. I could switch to fan only and then back to Comfort, but not ECO. After I shut off the car and restarted it worked fine.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
I had just the opposite experience today. For the first time I could not change from Comfort to ECO mode. I almost always use ECO mode but today I switched to Comfort mode (auto). When I tried to switch to ECO the button did not respond. I could switch to fan only and then back to Comfort, but not ECO. After I shut off the car and restarted it worked fine.
Frankman, was the ECO button "greyed out"? or it just wouldnt respond when you pressed it?
WOT

PS> @scottf the photos in your post made me laugh! Love the Volt "shocker"! (aka mode button maneuver) lol

·
Registered
317 Posts
Frankman, was the ECO button "greyed out"? or it just wouldnt respond when you pressed it?
The ECO button wasn't grey until I pressed it. It toggled grey and back to yellow when I released it.

Another strange thing I noticed today is the estimated time to complete a charge as shown on the Volt's charging screen is bouncing all over the place. For example, today the battery SOC was about 50% and the charging screen showed that if a 120 volt charge begins at 12:00 am it would finish at 12:45 am, and a 240 volt charge would complete at 2 am. After shutting off the car and restarting it showed a 120 volt completion time of 4:45 am (more accurate). I have noticed this a few other times recently but when the Volt is plugged into a charger the RemoteLink app shows a realistic time for completion. And the Volt always charges to a full charge in the expected amount of time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts