GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using Climate controls and it comes up on central display it says 18% or 100%. 18 or 100% of what?

·
Registered
297 Posts
When using Climate controls and it comes up on central display it says 18% or 100%. 18 or 100% of what?
Total battery Kwh usage. If you sit in your garage with the heater on, then the only use of power is to climate control. hence 100% usage. If you drive it with climate controls in use then you are using 18%. If you did not use climate control when driving you would theoretically get 18% more miles out of that charge

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I'm going to disagree with the first explanation.

It pretends to show how much of the total capacity of the heat or A/C the car is using. If I turn on the heat when driving at 70 mph the climate control will show 100% initially, then taper off. 18% might happen on fan only with the fan on 3 or 4.

I say it "pretends" because when my heater module failed (defective when new) and wasn't drawing anything according to the DIC, the climate controls still showed 100%.

Note: This applies to Gen 1. I have no idea if the Gen 2 does it differently.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I'm going to disagree with the first explanation.

It pretends to show how much of the total capacity of the heat or A/C the car is using. If I turn on the heat when driving at 70 mph the climate control will show 100% initially, then taper off. 18% might happen on fan only with the fan on 3 or 4.

I say it "pretends" because when my heater module failed (defective when new) and wasn't drawing anything according to the DIC, the climate controls still showed 100%.

Note: This applies to Gen 1. I have no idea if the Gen 2 does it differently.
I have gen 2 so it doesn't say anything when the climate control is on. It just had a little bar that fills up with manual fan. Only % is when u look at where the power usage is distributed. Sorry for the confusion

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The gen 1 climate % is different from Gen 2. It was pseudo "real time" in Gen 1--which I found more useful. The Gen 1 was a % of "maximum" kw usage of the HVAC system, which I think maxed at 6kw in the Gen 1. I learned that if I kept it below 23% in the summer and below 40% in the winter I was doing well. Playing with the controls and using eco or comfort and adjusting the temp up or down will give you a good estimate of how much it's using of that max in real time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.