GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my Volt for about a week. Drove to store while in ECO mode. When I started it up and drove home, the climate control was unresponsive. None of the selections worked, couldn't turn anything on. No fan, no a/c, no air flow at all. After I pulled into the garage, I turned the car off and got a momentary message that said Climate Control not available or something like that. I turned the car back on and the climate control worked fine. I'm I missing something or do I have a problem?

·
4,852 Posts
The Climate Control not available screen will always show up when the car is powered off, because that subsystem is not on when the vehicle is turned off.

Otherwise, sounds like you may have had a one-time SW glitch. Check with your dealer though and they may have a SW update for you that they can apply to potentially address it.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Welcome to the GM-Volt forum, I see this is your first post. It's usually helpful to provide the year and last 5 of your VIN so folks can provide more intelligent answers to questions?

For what's it's worth it sounds like a software "hic-up" that unless it happens again and again I'd say it's nothing to worry about. When it returned I assume it functioned as designed? What was the OAT and were you trying to heat or cool when it happened?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
A similar situation happened to me...twice. Once, I could not select the Vent/Floor. The button would light up as I touched it, but would not engage. The other time was when I could not select the auto-recycle button. Again, the button would light up as I touched it, but would not engage. A shut down/restart corrected the problem.

3,600 Posts
Had my Volt for about a week. Drove to store while in ECO mode. When I started it up and drove home, the climate control was unresponsive. None of the selections worked, couldn't turn anything on. No fan, no a/c, no air flow at all. After I pulled into the garage, I turned the car off and got a momentary message that said Climate Control not available or something like that. I turned the car back on and the climate control worked fine. I'm I missing something or do I have a problem?
Afternoon Rkochman,

Sounds like your Volt may have had a software glitch. If you were to experience this again I would contact your Dedicated Advisor. They will be able to document the concern as well as arrange a service appointment if needed. The Volt Team can be reached at 877-486-5846

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
There have been a few people who have witnessed this. Most of the time it is a one time software glitch and goes away after a restart. If it happens again, then I would take it to the dealer and see if they can find anything wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's exactly what happened to me. The buttons would light up when I touched them, but they would not engage. I'm going to take everyone's suggestion and write it off unless it happens again, and off to the dealer I go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's just it. I couldn't select anything. The controls were totally unresponsive.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks!

I appreciate everyone's quick response. I'm glad to hear that the problem is not rare. If it happens again I'll take it to the dealer. I LOVE THIS CAR! I'm retired and only drive it around the downtown area of Houston. By the time I have to buy gas I'll have to read the manual again to refresh my memory on how to do it. One thing I don't hear much about from Volt owners - how much darn fun the car is to drive.

·
4,852 Posts
Did you have one of the heat directions selected on the screen (floor/vents/mix/etc)? If none are selected, no air will come out.
I have never heard this before. If "None" are selected, "Auto" is displayed and determining the direction automatically. There shouldn't be a case where no heat direction is selected. Then again, I suppose stranger things have happened

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
One thing to remember: anytime something like this happens, press the OnStar button and ask them to run a diagnostic to see if there are any codes from your car's computer. This information can be very valuable if you have an intermittent issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, it worked as designed after I restarted it. OAT=72 degrees but sunny and humid. Trying to cool it at that point.

·
Registered
177 Posts
When we first got the Volt we had these problems with the heat.
Then I got out the owners manual. Put the system in AUTO. Then select the temperature.
It has worked great since then. Even though we may sometimes select a manual setting we always return it to AUTO.
So the take-away is that this is an automatic system that is designed to maximize the battery range.
A software change could be: default to AUTO when the car is cycled off/on.

Bill

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I think these one-time "glitches" with the center-stack display indicate a race-condition gone awry. The Volt has a bunch of processors, and the boot sequencing seems fairly tricky. I notice it most in my 2011 Volt with audio, when the "whoosh" sound comes through later than anticipated (e.g., after other audio already has started playing). Another occasional example is when the turn indicator starts racing with other closely-associated electronics, causing it to lose its cadence a bit.

This is very difficult stuff, and probably caused many painful hours (or days) of debugging, recoding, retesting, and on and on...

It's no wonder that the software engineers are reluctant to "fix" any that is not truly broken. Uh-oh. I should not have said that.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
By the time I have to buy gas I'll have to read the manual again to refresh my memory on how to do it. One thing I don't hear much about from Volt owners - how much darn fun the car is to drive.
Be patient when you do. It seems to take a very long time, to me, holding down the refuel button for it to unlock the door.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts