GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just traded in my 2016 Volt for a 2018 Volt. Both base models.

The climate control functions are a little different.

In my 2016 Volt, I was able to select the Air Delivery Mode to select which vents are opened or closed, with the climate control *OFF*. This would open up whichever vents to allow fresh air into the cabin while driving (fan-off), windows up. With windows down a tad, you can really feel the air flow through the vents.

In my 2018 Volt, this is not the case. Whenever I select the Air Delivery Mode, the climate control system would turn on (whether it's fan only, eco, or max modes). And whenever I turn off the climate control, the Air Delivery Mode lights would go off. So with the system turned off and air recirculation off, even if I open the windows a tad, I do not feel any airflow.

For 2018 owners, is there a way to open up the vents for airflow, but to have the climate control system off? Thanks.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm pretty sure mine is the same. Make sure it is not in recirculate mode.

My complaint for gen 1 and 2 is the HVAC having only a temperature setting. I would like to have AC when its hot but can live without heat all summer. I set the temp at 75 when it is hot but then in the morning the heater wastes a ton of energy (have to remember constantly to keep adjusting or turn off the HVAC). I wish there was a heat on/off button so I could lock out the heater.

Better yet have a heat to setting and a cool to setting like we have on a home HVAC

·
Registered
570 Posts
My read of the 2018 is that in order to get dead air flow through the vents, you would need to:

- Turn the climate control panel "ON"
- ECO "OFF"
- MAX "OFF"

^ This puts you in Fan only mode

- Re-circulation "OFF"

^ This opens the vents to outside air

- Turn down the fan speed to zero
- Select which vents you want to direct air to you

If your 2016 defaulted to having vents open with the system off, that would surprise me. I would expect this type of system would need power to operate the louvers. (Unlike older cars with the vacuum operated vent selectors.) Maybe something was broken in your 2016?

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
My complaint for gen 1 and 2 is the HVAC having only a temperature setting. I would like to have AC when its hot but can live without heat all summer. I set the temp at 75 when it is hot but then in the morning the heater wastes a ton of energy (have to remember constantly to keep adjusting or turn off the HVAC). I wish there was a heat on/off button so I could lock out the heater.

Better yet have a heat to setting and a cool to setting like we have on a home HVAC
That is a good point. Car HVAC systems have always been designed with the assumption that there is unlimited free heat available from the gas engine. That definitely changes with an EV. Most cars have at least an AC on/off button, but the Volt doesn't even have that.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I just traded in my 2016 Volt for a 2018 Volt. Both base models.

The climate control functions are a little different.

In my 2016 Volt, I was able to select the Air Delivery Mode to select which vents are opened or closed, with the climate control *OFF*. This would open up whichever vents to allow fresh air into the cabin while driving (fan-off), windows up. With windows down a tad, you can really feel the air flow through the vents.

In my 2018 Volt, this is not the case. Whenever I select the Air Delivery Mode, the climate control system would turn on (whether it's fan only, eco, or max modes). And whenever I turn off the climate control, the Air Delivery Mode lights would go off. So with the system turned off and air recirculation off, even if I open the windows a tad, I do not feel any airflow.

For 2018 owners, is there a way to open up the vents for airflow, but to have the climate control system off? Thanks.
I have a 2018, and I asked a similar question just last week. The HVAC system is not very intuitive.

I am in the same boat as you. I don't feel any outside coming through the vent (when fan is off, recirculation is off, no eco or max is on). But I haven't driven at high way speed, so I am not sure if that's the reason. I've been commuting at around 40 mph mostly (sometimes 50 for a short period).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My read of the 2018 is that in order to get dead air flow through the vents, you would need to:

- Turn down the fan speed to zero
- Select which vents you want to direct air to you
Thank you for this.

I tried these steps. I turned down the fan speed to zero. But as soon as I selected which vents to open, fan-only came back on.

I don't think my HVAC is malfunctioning. This is maybe how this newer system is supposed to work. I definitely felt a lot more dead-air flow in my 2016.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
The HVAC system is not very intuitive.
But now we have buttons! ...even though now it's like punching a series of codes on a keypad trying to get the setting you actually want. Progress?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Thank you for this.

I tried these steps. I turned down the fan speed to zero. But as soon as I selected which vents to open, fan-only came back on.

I don't think my HVAC is malfunctioning. This is maybe how this newer system is supposed to work. I definitely felt a lot more dead-air flow in my 2016.
I tried this out today, as well. It's impossible to turn the fan completely off and it seems that the vent is only actively controlled.

This may be intentional. If the vents to the outside were passively open with the system off, (or even with the car in motion) the car would loose the "hard fought" heating and cooling that it put in the cabin when the car is parked.

I think another thing that is going on is the snorkel for the fan is not in the air stream of the car. Even with the fan on low and in "fan only" mode, the air moved REALLY slowly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts