GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very close to purchasing a Volt (just waiting for the dealer to find the options I want, and for GM to put out its January incentives), but I had one quick question. It seems like much has been made of the climate control issues in very low temperatures and the trade-off between comfort and efficiency, but I'm wondering how the Volt's A/C does in a hot summer. If you don't care at all about efficiency, can it cool down the car even on the hottest 100+ days? If you use Eco mode (if I'm getting that right?), is it tolerable?

I'm assuming this has been addressed before, but I tried to search for it for a while and couldn't find anything. I'm hoping that's just because there's nothing to talk about - the Volt does as well as any other car at making the cabin comfortable in the summer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
I live in Kentucky, and while we don't have many 100+ days, we do have weeks where it is 90+. My 2012 Volt cools down nicely when on the Comfort setting, and then you can switch to ECO mode if you are concerned about maximum battery range. I found though, that just leaving it on Comfort didn't seem to impact my range appreciably. I was getting 40-45 miles consistantly.

It seems that cooling the car in the summer doesn't take as much energy as heating it in the winter.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
I run almost exclusively in ECO during the summer. The A/C does a great job cooling the car. There are plenty of owners down in Texas and Arizona that would likely tell you the same thing.

·
8,680 Posts
It has the raw power for a serious summer day (and you can Pre cool just as well as Pre heating.) There is an impact from heavy A/C use, but it is 1/4-1/2 the impact of heavy heater use.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
If I am with my family, I use comfort to get the temps down faster. Then I switch to Eco. If I'm by myself, I just use Eco. I find the AC in the summer doesn't affect the range any where near what the double whammy of cold weather and using the heater does. I get about 40-45 miles during warmer months and 32-38 during the colder months.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts