GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a very irritating noise coming from within or under the driver's seat of my 2017 Volt. It sounds like loose plastic hitting on something nearby. It makes a continuous "clicking" noise on anything but the smoothest road or whenever I shift my position in the seat. It is loud enough that a passenger often asks what is that. I have looked everywhere trying to find the source but have been unable. The dealer just scratches his head and looks like I am being to critical. The car is so quiet, this noise is loud enough to be extremely irritating. Has anyone else experienced this problem or has any suggestions on hot to correct it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Clicking noise under driver's seat

There is a very irritating noise coming from within or under the driver's seat of my 2017 Volt. It sounds like loose plastic hitting on something nearby. It makes a continuous "clicking" noise on anything but the smoothest road or whenever I shift my position in the seat. It is loud enough that a passenger often asks what is that. I have looked everywhere trying to find the source but have been unable. The dealer just scratches his head and looks like I am being to critical. The car is so quiet, this noise is loud enough to be extremely irritating. Has anyone else experienced this problem or has any suggestions on hot to correct it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
What I've seen is probably different, i get a clicking sound every now and again, but it goes away, like it's something mechanical behind the instrument panel or steering column. I've only heard it 2-3 times and it goes away in a minute or two.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have previously read where some have had a cable or cable bundle that runs upwards by the fuse panel on the lower left of the steering wheel. One or two put some kind of wrap around it to cushion, and the noise went away. On my 2017 Volt, the dash around the left vent seemed to be rattling on rough road surfaces. I could push downward on the dash just above the vent, and it would stop. Great, I thought, I'll have to take it to the dealer, who will have to tear apart the dash to try and find it, possibly tearing up more and causing more problems than they would fix. Finally, after scanning this site, I noticed people talking about the fuse box area below/left of the steering wheel. To my surprise, pushing on the fuse box door stopped the rattle! It only took two little pieces of Ducktape-brand stick-on weatherstripping for house doors to stop the rattle! Now, I can enjoy the quiet of the Volt, even on the rough pavement.

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
I heard some clicking under the driver's seat and this is what I found.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the same exact problem - the creaking and squeaking was MADDENING! Multiple trips to the dealer. They clamed it was the seatbelt anchor. They replaced and it has since gone away. However, the issue was exacerbated when the interior of the car got very hot in the So Cal summer sun. I'll have to check again next Spring/Summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts