GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 Volt, 30,000 miles, 90%+ on battery drive.
In the past few weeks, I have noticed a clicking sound in the following conditions: when driving, say 20 mph, I apply the brake, and a clicking sound happens. If I brake to a stop, then release the brake and apply the throttle, the clicking sound happens again. This same pattern happens when I apply the brake even if I don't stop, and then apply the throttle. Most of my driving is around town, so there is a lot of stop-and-start, and this issue has become a constant.
Otherwise, my Volt is behaving well - I still love it! I am worried that this sound might be a precursor to a problem that could send my Volt to the shop for a while, albeit covered by warranty.

Please advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I have that very consistently in my 2013. In my case it sounds exactly like a relay switching back and forth, Tick-Tick. I can repeat it precisely.

I've assumed till now that it's just that, the system swapping back and forth between regen and providing power, but maybe I should have it checked.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have it, too. I've been thinking it's a CV joint.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have that very consistently in my 2013. In my case it sounds exactly like a relay switching back and forth, Tick-Tick. I can repeat it precisely.

I've assumed till now that it's just that, the system swapping back and forth between regen and providing power, but maybe I should have it checked.
Mine just started this, this morning. It sounded like door locks until I realized it was also coming from the center console (armrest).

I've only heard it for a couple of miles, then it stopped for the last few hundred yards. I'll check again tonight.

·
1,308 Posts
I just recently had this symptom in my 2011 with 128,000 miles. I told the service folks that it might just require a new hub nut and washer but they listened to the wheel bearing and said it was making noise inside and needed to be replaced. So, I ended up with a new front left wheel bearing which I think also included the new washer and nut. Problem
solved. I'm still not certain I believe the wheel bearing actually needed replacing but I know it's not uncommon to need one after 100,000 miles (on other cars like Prius as well) so I've chosen to believe.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I just recently had this symptom in my 2011 with 128,000 miles. I told the service folks that it might just require a new hub nut and washer but they listened to the wheel bearing and said it was making noise inside and needed to be replaced. So, I ended up with a new front left wheel bearing which I think also included the new washer and nut. Problem
solved. I'm still not certain I believe the wheel bearing actually needed replacing but I know it's not uncommon to need one after 100,000 miles (on other cars like Prius as well) so I've chosen to believe.
The front hubs on my Jeep have been consistently good for about 95,000mi before they start rumbling and I have to replace them so it's not out of the realm of possibility. Then again I'm a hell of a lot rougher on my Jeep than the Volt.

·
1,308 Posts
The front hubs on my Jeep have been consistently good for about 95,000mi before they start rumbling and I have to replace them so it's not out of the realm of possibility. Then again I'm a hell of a lot rougher on my Jeep than the Volt.
For what it's worth, Erick Belmer's high mileage 2012 Volt which now has over 320,000 miles on it needed to have its right front wheel bearing replaced sometime before 146,000 miles (maybe at 92,000), according to various reports. He recall that he decided to have the other front one replaced at the same time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi folks, I took my 2014 Volt in to FH Dailey Chevrolet San Leandro CA today to address the 'clicking' problem that started this thread. They fixed it, here's how:
'Left front axle nut loose . . . noise heard from left front wheel. Removed left front wheel and re-torqued front axle hub bolt. Secured left front wheel and road tested. Rechecked all ok at this time.'
So it is fixed, though I don't know why it happened: design problem? part problem? assembly problem? random problem?
In conclusion, this is the first mechanical problem I have had with this car in 2 1/2 years (aside from a miscellaneous recall that had no effect on my experience), so I still rate it and value it highly.

Thanks for your input and support.

·
Registered
433 Posts
This past week I had my right front wheel bearing replaced (mileage of 120k km). My symtpom sounded the same as the OP. A click-click sound when braking or accelerating - best heard at about 20km/h (windows open). Very distinct and reproducible. Needed alternate braking/accelerating. For example, if I brake, brake, brake, accelerate, brake the sound was only heard on the first brake, not the next two, and then again on the first brake after accelerating. Vice versa for accelerating. Dealership reported there was play in that hub, so if they're to be believed, the issue for me was not a stick-slip issue at the CV joint due to low nut torque (as discussed extensively in the other Pop noise thread). Sound gone after hub replacement. Cost of parts/labour was about CAN$450 since the hub is apparently an integral unit with speed sensor, etc.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
For example, if I brake, brake, brake, accelerate, brake the sound was only heard on the first brake, not the next two, and then again on the first brake after accelerating.
Yes, that is the symptom of a lose axle nut, which they tightened in the course of replacing the whole hub.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts