GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have something new going on with my 2012 Volt when I tap the brakes. I get a light click or tick noise when light pressure is put on the brakes. The car has almost 36000 miles on it and sounds similar to a clicking noise I had on my old 2001 Impala. It was either due to the caliper or the guide/slide pins for the caliper. If I remember correctly, I ended up replacing both before the noise went away. Has anyone else seen or heard of this condition with their Volt?

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
My 13 made a similar noise and my dealer said it was the brake caliper pins, they lubed them and the noise went away.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent! Thank you for your replies. I will have this looked during my next service visit. Incidentally, I noticed that my son's 2012 Volt with about 24000 miles was doing the same thing, although much less loudly as it was pulling out of the driveway this morning. Is it listed on the maintenance schedule to lube the caliper guide pins at a certain mileage or frequency?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Excellent! Thank you for your replies. I will have this looked during my next service visit. Incidentally, I noticed that my son's 2012 Volt with about 24000 miles was doing the same thing, although much less loudly as it was pulling out of the driveway this morning. Is it listed on the maintenance schedule to lube the caliper guide pins at a certain mileage or frequency?
This is part of that "brake service" that dealers try to sell you when you go in for an oil change. In Canada, the going rate is about $50 per wheel to inspect, clean and lubricate the brakes. They usually recommend it around the 15k mile mark. I had mine done at about 20k miles. Seems expensive and next time I will do it myself but many won't want to do that.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
This is also a good thread on the topic.
gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?197914-Click-or-Pop-noise-from-front-on-Accel-or-Decel

It seems that if you only get the "Click" when braking then it's usually a case of needing some lube. However if you get a "tick/tock" when accelerating and decelerating then it might be the axle nut and washer deal.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's the case of only 1 click when first hitting the brakes and sounds like the front LF caliper. The first time it happens it is the loudest and it it happens a second time (not usually) it is much quieter and barely audible. When I am in the parking garage at work and drivng off with the windows open, the sounds reflect off of everything.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
So this is not the click I hear inside my car by the shifter console area when I depress my brakes?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
This is part of that "brake service" that dealers try to sell you when you go in for an oil change. In Canada, the going rate is about $50 per wheel to inspect, clean and lubricate the brakes. They usually recommend it around the 15k mile mark. I had mine done at about 20k miles. Seems expensive and next time I will do it myself but many won't want to do that.
They did my fronts under warranty as part of diagnosis of the clicking noise.
I paid for the rears on this latest visit to ensure even performance.
$89.95 for the rear cleaning, lubing. I'm assuming double for the whole vehicle.
I'll probably do it myself next time, but it was in already, might as well.

I don't think this should be a per km service, but time-based.
Brakes that are hardly used are probably more likely to fill up with crap that 'bakes in' than those that are used frequently. Or not, but I'm not an expert there. :)

·
Registered
2,336 Posts

Cheaper and better alternative than allowing your GM service dept to fix your brakes would be to do it yourself using the earlier linked Carlson kit. Even though relatively new (developed over the last year or so) the Quiteglide avail for the Gen1 is just better brake hardware and relatively cheap vs OEM brake caliper clips the GM service dept would end up using IMHO. I haven't had any further squeak or clicking issues since replacing the hardware in my brakes with the Quiteglide on my Gen1!;)

BTW: You still need to use the proper silicone based grease on the guide pins that will not flow and will not harm plastics or rubber such as the above although he doesn't address this in the linked vid...

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
CARLSON INTRODUCES QUIETGLIDE® BRAKE CLIPS
June 2, 2015
MEDIA RELEASE
For immediate release

Carlson Quality Brake Parts today announced a n

Did you ignore or just miss the part in the first post about "light pressure on the brake"; IE regen territory? This is like the fourth time in a month this product has been waved around and I, for one, am getting a little tired of hearing about it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Our 2012 only made the clicking sound when pressing on the brakes and turning right. Doesn't do it turning left. Took it in and they said it was the left axle that's bad and they have to replace it. They ordered it and it's supposed to come in today. They didn't say what was wrong with the axle but I'm glade it didn't break while driving it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jcgribks, That's good to know. I'm going to take mine in when I have some free time.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To eliminate the possibilities, I went and checked the torque on the axle nut. It was fine and the torque wrench clicked at the set torque. I called the dealer and made an appointment to have it looked at. They had it for an afternoon and said they lubed whatever needed lubrication for the brakes/caliper. They told me it was caused by the slides for the caliper. On the way to work this morning, it was quiet most of the way in, then I swear I began hearing the clicking again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts