GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "sounds your Volt makes and what they mean" thread on the forums mentions this noise. It's a series of rapid clicks coming from the driver's rear of the car.

In that sticky thread, it states this only happens when approaching the car with the keyfob on you.

I'm 99% certain this is incorrect. If my Volt is plugged in and I'm walking around it in the garage, it's clicking away.

Frankly I'm not so sure I understand how it knows I am nearby, since the key fob is NOT ON ME or in the car.

Is it using an ambient light sensor which is being tripped by my shadow? Are there motion sensors?

I'm stumped. :)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Occasional clicks as you approach is the proximity sensor.
Repeated continuous clicking is likely the gas tank pressurization self-test.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right, it's definitely the proximity sensor. My question was: How does it know I'm near when I do not have the key fob on me?

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Right, it's definitely the proximity sensor. My question was: How does it know I'm near when I do not have the key fob on me?
It could be the gas tank pressurization system that's clicking away. Open the gas tank door and remove the cap. If the clicking stops, it's the pressurization system you are hearing. Ortherwise the key is close enough—whether on you or not—to be activating the proximity sensor.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I don't think the proximity works by 'magic' (like new tech that can sense distortions in wifi signals to locate moving objects) - it simple has to have a fob in range

How far away is the fob?
Note that the range to unlock with a button is shorter than the range for fob/vehicle antenna - it knows you're coming for a fair distance, but won't allow you to use a door button to unlock until you're within ~1m of that button.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The key fob is stored 40 feet away and the signal would have to go through TWO exterior, solid brick walls, plus one interior wall, as this is a detached garage.

Perhaps it is all a coincidence that I'm doing stuff in the garage and its clicking. I've never heard it do this while I'm sitting on the adjacent patio with the garage door open.

I'll have to do some more testing.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
I'm 99% certain this is incorrect. If my Volt is plugged in and I'm walking around it in the garage, it's clicking away.
Does the APM make any noise? That's back there and would be active (and monitoring/charging the 12v) if the car's plugged in.

·
Administrator
20,019 Posts
Eliminate the most obvious first: the tank pressurization system. When the car is clicking in the rear, release the gas tank door, remove the gas cap. If the clicking stops, you have ID'd the source.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts