GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having an issue with my volt lately. When using the L with the regen braking or when the car has stopped and I go I have been hearing an audible click or snap sound. I spoke with my cousin who is a lead GM mechanic and he was able to diagnose the problem as one of two things without even seeing the car. Either the dog bone mount from the transmission to the frame is broken, which they are known to do, or I needed to take the tire off and retighten the axle nut with an impact wrench. He was correct because the dog bone looked fine so I went to tighten the axle nut and accidentally had the impact in reverse and it immediately started to turn off. After I tightened the nut, reinstalled the tire and put it back on the ground it no longer makes that sound. Just thought I'd pass that along to help out, its been driving me nuts for a little bit now.

·
Administrator
20,583 Posts
Yes, my guess would have been the nut.

The dog bone may be a potential cause for cars in general, but it's never been reported here as the cause of this particular issue.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Loose axle nuts seems to be quite common lately in gen 1s, judging from FB posts.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Anyone know why? Are they torqued correctly at the factory? Are you checking these on tire rotation?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Anyone know why? Are they torqued correctly at the factory? Are you checking these on tire rotation?
No takers on this question about loose axle nuts?

Also makes me wonder if the extra torque from the EV drive train has had any effect on this?
Does anyone know the correct torque value for the Volt axle nut?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Thanks. As I reported in another thread, I have had a creaking sound when the regen is operating either when I lift off or sometimes press the accelerator while in L.

I’m thinking perhaps it is some chassis part like you describe that is loose. When I bring the car in for my inspection in December I’m going to have them take a look at that.

There is so much quick torque acceleration and deceleration involved with the regen that I’m wondering if that in fact makes it more likely to happen.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
This has also been an issue on the Cruze, where there was some sort of bulletin about needing to replace the washer on the nuts with a new design (so the fix is not to just re-torque, it's to replace the washer and re-torque). For some reason, the bulletin doesn't include Volts, even though I think the part is common and tons of people are reporting the issue. I showed the Cruze bulletin to my dealer but they barely looked at it and just replaced my axle. Whatever, it was under warranty so it didn't cost me anything.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The best torque is "tight"
Forget the damn torque wrench, it is likely to be the cause of the loose nuts in the first place.

·
Registered
981 Posts
The best torque is "tight"
Forget the damn torque wrench, it is likely to be the cause of the loose nuts in the first place.
That might work, but 60 ft lbs doesn't sound like much. My Ghia has a torque spec on the rear axle nut around 217 ft lbs. Kind of a bear to take off and on. Just wondered if anyone could confirm the 60 ft lbs?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Here's what I found under "Driveline Axle" in the service manual:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I finally took my car in for the creaking noise it made whenever I pressed or lifted off the accelerator in L. What it was was the sway bar link in the suspension which had to be replaced. They say that it’s fixed the problem so I’m gonna pick my car up tonight but I just wanted to let people know usually these noises are related to something in the suspension system rather than the voltec part of the car.

Update: car is a bit quieter but the above did not eliminate the creaking. They are looking at it again tomorrow. Both the tech and I think it is a suspension issue someplace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Another update. They replaced the other sway bar link which didn’t do it. They will replace the axle tomorrow. Volt tech said he could hear the problem but initially that he actually didn’t think it was the axle, he said those are really only G1 issues, but this is a 16 G2 (21k miles) so I’m just letting everybody know that perhaps it’s still an issue for G2. Maybe the amount of torque created by the voltec system is just a lot for the suspension system to handle— that’s what I think.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I don't know if the axle nut problem is limited to the GEN 1 Volt. All I do know is that I had the clicking on my 2011. I took it to a regular repair shop (not a dealer) and they wanted to replace the motor mounts, and both axles for about $2500. I asked them to check the axle nuts and they were positive that was not the problem and never checked. Obviously I took it to another shop. They could not diagnose the problem so I asked them to check the axle nuts, and they tightened them noise went away and is still silent to this day.
The problem with letting someone replace your axles is that obviously the axle nuts will get tightened when they are installed so you have no way of knowing if the axles were actually bad, or just tightening the nuts would have solved the initial problem. It would be unusual to need a new axle on a GEN 2 at this point.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I don't know if the axle nut problem is limited to the GEN 1 Volt. All I do know is that I had the clicking on my 2011. I took it to a regular repair shop (not a dealer) and they wanted to replace the motor mounts, and both axles for about $2500. I asked them to check the axle nuts and they were positive that was not the problem and never checked. Obviously I took it to another shop. They could not diagnose the problem so I asked them to check the axle nuts, and they tightened them noise went away and is still silent to this day.
The problem with letting someone replace your axles is that obviously the axle nuts will get tightened when they are installed so you have no way of knowing if the axles were actually bad, or just tightening the nuts would have solved the initial problem. It would be unusual to need a new axle on a GEN 2 at this point.
Unless the CV joint boot is torn and letting contaminates in it would be quite unlikely that you would need a new axle on any front drive car as long as you own it. My Eldorado has 330,000 miles on the originals.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Well I specifically mentioned the axle nut issue to the tech in the car when he was hearing the sound. He said that was a known Gen 1 issue and that he couldn’t believe that that’s what it was in the Gen 2, but presumably before he ordered a new axle he checked the nuts. Car is still under the bumper to bumper so I’m not paying for any of this, but I certainly hope this is going to fix it. If it doesn’t the only thing I can say is someone mentioned that the dog bone mount to the transmission could also be in play and if this doesn’t fix it I’m gonna ask them to look at that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Marcusm,
Any update?

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just had the same experience as marcusm. My 2014 Gen1 was at a well known Volt dealer in Van Nuys, CA. I told the service writer I thought it was the axle nut/washer. Maybe it was, but they replaced the axle under warranty. GM paid about $383, I paid $0. I'm happy and the click is gone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had the same issue with my 2012,the clicking came from the driver side front wheel, I would torque the nut but a week or two later the issue would come back then I purchased a new redesigned axle nut, slightly bigger from 2013 model and a redesigned washer. The good redesigned PN for the nut is 13217120, washer is 11611962. I did the job myself, had to remove the bearing. 2 months in so far and the clicking hasn't come back.
Volt_axle_nut_20180908_152946.jpg volt-bearing-washer_20180908_150123.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts