GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 13' volt to the dealer yesterday for the click noise I am hearing at low speeds when braking or accelerating. Based on what I have read on this forum, I asked them to check the axle nuts being loose. Their "transmission guy" said he checked the axle and didn't find a problem.

Now they think it has something to do with the brakes and their "brake guy" is looking at it. Has anyone else had the click noise not being associated with loose axle nuts?

I also thought it was kind of strange that they are having different technicians looking at the vehicle. Shouldn't it be volt certified technicians working on the volt? Maybe the dealer has multiple technicians that are volt certified?

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
I had a similar sound, you could hear in when driving slowly like when entering or leaving your garage, it would even make a few "clicks" when I entered/exited the vehicle.

My dealer said it had to do with the brake caliper pins. They removed, cleaned and lubed them and after 2 months it's been quiet.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Mine was brakes. They didn't specify what they lubed, but just said pads sticking in caliper brackets - removed rust from pad ears and lubed. I take that to mean unrelated to the pins.

I have to have some preventive maintenance on all calipers by getting them cleaned and lubed. One of these days.
The only reason I brought it to the dealer was the possibility it was those axle nuts, which could be more a $erious issue than a clicking brake pad

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
I have to have some preventive maintenance on all calipers by getting them cleaned and lubed. One of these days. The only reason I brought it to the dealer was the possibility it was those axle nuts, which could be more a $erious issue than a clicking brake pad

FWIW: Uploaded pics of my Gen1 Volt brake repair: http://imgur.com/a/beoiE/all

Took me an afternoon of work and eliminated an intermittent squeak I was experiencing by replacing caliper hardware on all 4 brakes using aftermarket Carlson brake repair kit: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?237946-Had-to-replace-rusted-out-rear-rotors-at-50k-miles&p=3385097#post3385097

·
Registered
55 Posts
I posted in the thread linked above, but never updated it with my solution. I tried buying the axle nuts and replacing them myself, but it didn't fix anything. (I didn't think the noise would be covered by the powertrain warranty when I did that.)

I took it to the dealer and they replaced one axle shaft. I argued that it would only fix half the problem, which it did. I returned it and they replaced the other axle shaft and both axle nuts (with parts identical to the ones I had just put in). Problem solved!

I am confident it was the axle shafts, not the axle nuts that fixed it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a clicking noise when I'm braking at about 10-15mph and turning, very annoying, need to get it serviced for this.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Well, mine happened to be axle nuts... I should have attempted it myself instead of spending $116 to have the dealership fix it. Others have reported getting new bearings which solved the problem. The axle shaft replacements should have required new or repacked the bearings so it's uncertain whether the axle shafts were bad or not. The real question is whether you have a white diamond tricoat, as in one of the threads it was uncanny how only the tricoats were having this problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got the car back from the dealer this morning. It ended up being loose axle nuts. They re torqued both sides and now the noise is gone. There was nothing on the report that they even looked at the brakes. Mine is actually a Sliver 13'. I did want the white when I started looking but I couldn't pass the deal on this car!

I also reported to them that the Bluetooth background noise was extremely bad when on a call. They replaced the microphone but I have not had a chance to test it out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
For those of you who may be worrying about a future problem
With your Diamond white tricoat Volt,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Relax,, this is just an ongoing Joke that has been enjoyed by a few of us
loose "Nuts" on these "Clicking at low speed both braking and light acceleration" threads !!!!
Getting a Loose Nut Tight, will solve your problems,,,until he wakes up !

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Also, early 2013s had noisy brakes at low speed. There is a software fix for it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
My 2012 is doing the same. About a year ago I had the front break pads replaced by the dealership the last time this sound happened and now the sound has returned. I thought my brake pads looked fine when I had rotated my tires and now I suspect they were.

My question is what it the torque setting for the axle nuts so I can go home and re-torque them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts