GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all:

I've owned a 2015 Volt for the last 6 months or so, and it has about 36,000 miles on it. I recently noticed that when I'm in stop and go traffic, I hear a kind of single click when starting and stopping from the left rear of the car. In other words, it clicks when I step on the brake, and then clicks again when I let off the brake. It's pretty quiet, so my thinking is that I only hear it in stop and go traffic, even though it probably does it all of the time.

My first thought is perhaps a sticking caliper on the left (driver side) wheel, but I'm not sure if this is something else, maybe something even "normal". Any thoughts from the experts? I'm still covered by a CPO warranty, so I can have this diagnosed by the dealer, if needed.

Thanks very much!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Mine does something similar. I thought it was coming from the back, but now I'm pretty sure it's coming from the front. Mine does the click when braking and when starting, but it also clicks when engaging and disengaging the drive in L. Have you tried driving it in L to see if you get the same click? If it does still click in L, you can rule out the brakes as the source of the noise.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would try to confirm where the noise is coming from, I would bet it is the front not the rear. Easiest thing to try is tighten the axle nut, you can remove the wheel center cap and access it without even jacking up the car. Might not be your solution, but its an easy thing to try.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I'll try to diagnose further to see whether this is happening from the front or back, but it sure sounds to me like it's in the back. I'll also try engaging and disengaging the drive in L, but I use L occasionally, and I don't think I hear the click.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had the chance to do some additional diagnosis, and indeed the noise actually is coming from the left front, and it makes no difference if the car is in D or L. So, I'm thinking, as leppard3 suggests, the first step is to torque the axle nut. However, I'm going to have to pick up a deep socket for it. Is the correct socket size 30mm or 31mm? I have the service manual, but I can't seem to find the size of the axle nut.

If that doesn't solve the issue, I'll need to take it to the dealer, unfortunately.

Thanks!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't remember exacty but I was thinking it was 34mm??? I am not sure where you are, but I got a free "loaner" torque wrench and socket from OReillys auto. I also believe the spec is 180 ft lbs, I did have to go a bit higher to get the noise to stop, but people here say that will not harm the bearing so I am OK with that. I'm 95% sure this will solve your noise.

Another post says it is 32mm socket, that is probably correct

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again, Leppard3. I have a torque wrench, but I don't have any sockets between 28mm and 36mm, so I'll get a 32mm socket and give it a go.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, this is now solved, and it was indeed a loose left front axle nut. I picked up a 32mm socket from Advance Auto, and using my torque wrench, tightened it to spec. That resolved the clicking sound. I'll watch this carefully, and if it loosens at all, I'll take it to the dealer for a replacement nut/washer under the CPO warranty.

Thanks again for pointing me in this direction!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Was watching this thread, Have a 2014 Volt, Same thing, sounded like a clunk from the passenger rear on take off and letting off the accelerator.

Went out yeaterday, popped off the center caps in the front, driver side nut was tight, passenger was loose, tightened it up, didn't take much.... Car is nice and quite now. Thanks for all the input and info on this thread!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts