GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
EDIT:( Not so )Clever LED Reverse Switchback upgrade

**Edit: 1-6-16 I would not recommend this mod as stated in the discussion below. But if anyone tries it out, we would love to see your results...

Hey everybody,

I was wondering if anyone has tried this upgrade/mod?

It essentially upgrades the reverse light to brighter white while reversing. Yet while driving provides an active red light where the reverse light is located.

http://ijdmtoy.com/BLOG/wordpress/2...led-rear-fog-light-brake-light-on-chevy-volt/

I am hesitant to purchase because the red lead wire coming of of the LED bulb requires connection to a license plate positive wire or brake light positive wire.

I am wondering how hard that would be for a novice like myself? :)

Thanks for all the great write ups I'll be contributing my new Volts upgrades when I am completed with them...

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
It might be clever but do you really think you need another red light there? In the center like that it might get mistaken for a brake light?

·
Registered
320 Posts
That definitely looks like a center brake light. If that's illuminated that bright while NOT braking, I would definitely fail that mod.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
There may be an easier way, but as far as I know, getting the wiring done will most likely involve removing the bumper, which is a pretty big hassle.

·
Registered
143 Posts
would be more interested in wiring it up as a 4th brake light, rather than a running light. converting the inner tails to led would be higher on my priority list though.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I did it a year ago....
I installed the EU version fixture in place of the backup light. The EU version has a split red/clear lens and i have the red "rear fog red" lamp to the license plate light circuit. Works great. I did have to replace the plate bulbs with LED as the load was too much and the circuit would open. Took less than an hour and its an OEM part.

The light isnt "brake light" bright, but people stay back a tad further to keep it in view at a stop.

I had a pic but cant locate it at the moment. $25.00 light fixture and $10 bulbs

·
Registered
143 Posts
I did it a year ago....
I installed the EU version fixture in place of the backup light. The EU version has a split red/clear lens and i have the red "rear fog red" lamp to the license plate light circuit. Works great. I did have to replace the plate bulbs with LED as the load was too much and the circuit would open. Took less than an hour and its an OEM part.

The light isnt "brake light" bright, but people stay back a tad further to keep it in view at a stop.

I had a pic but cant locate it at the moment. $25.00 light fixture and $10 bulbs
Im familiar with this EU part, but have only found it on ebay in the $80ish range, can you share your source? for $25 i would jump on it.

also please share any pics if you happen to have any.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Im familiar with this EU part, but have only found it on ebay in the $80ish range, can you share your source? for $25 i would jump on it.

also please share any pics if you happen to have any.
Motown-partsman on eBay had them, send him a message and see if still has one, he buys over stock, surplus dealer parts, brand new.

I'll post a pic Saturday as I'm too lazy tonight...

One other note, is there even a switchback red/white(clear) LED bulb available? Seems like an odd combo..

If I had to, adding a red led to the backup fixture that would be all but washed out in reverse, by the backup light, would be very easy to add.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts