GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
21,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed each rear door frame toward the top rear contains a clear piece of plastic (like door guard edging) inside the valley the door's rubber gasket snugs up to on the body.

I had found a clear plastic sheet on the aluminum Voltec engine cover the dealer did not remove during their expensive "prep" of the car. It had a tab to pull on to facilitate removal. It seemed attached more by static than anything else.

Anyone know if these door strips are intended to remain on the car? They seem more permanent. Or were they meant as some sort of temporary anti-rub protection during transport?

Tire Automotive tire Rim Wheel Pipe

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just noticed this plastic piece yesterday. I am going to leave it on the car I assume it is an anti-wear strip.

·
Administrator
21,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One has an air gap at the bottom of the plastic (the white spot in the photo), which is how I first noticed it. It was not applied correctly and bridges the valley.

·
Registered
329 Posts
My Red Volt has the plastic strip but my Black Volt does not. You can see an outline of the door seal on the Black one in this area.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The clear plastic strip is used to avoid any paint wear over a long time by the weatherseal. They are used and not used by various vehicle manufacturers. As you can see not all weatherstrip contact surfaces have them on either the VOLT or other cars. Some makers do not use them and you can see paint wear areas from the weatherstrip over time. So this is just one more example on the VOLT of a well executed design and attention to detail to preserve it's looks in the long term.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts