GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, started getting the message to "replace battery in key fob" last week. I replaced both batteries Tuesday night with brand new Duracell batteries. Still get the message every time we get in the car. How do I clear the message?

Thanks,
Tim.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
when i replaced mine I used both fobs to lock and unlock the car and then it was happy. other than that I don’t know. it seems they last about 3 years and then give up, at least that was the case with both of my 2012’s.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I did exactly this last week. The message seems to clear after about three fault-free on/off cycles.

·
Registered
203 Posts
when i replaced mine I used both fobs to lock and unlock the car and then it was happy. other than that I don’t know. it seems they last about 3 years and then give up, at least that was the case with both of my 2012’s.
This is my experience as well... it seems to need a push-button interaction from the FOB to reset. I had gotten the message on my FOB, and then cleared with Wife's. I could still get-in and start the car with my low-battery FOB and have no message. It wasn't until I did a remote start and the message reoccurred (as expected) and I finally got around to swapping out the battery.

I think there was a nother forum post on someone that had the message for well over a month after swapping the battery, until he use a button on the FOB.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I've also found on many "button cell" devices that it's a good idea to wipe the battery down with rubbing alcohol before inserting into the device. Lots of them have manufacturing oils that you can't see but which interfere with a clean connection.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
This is my experience as well... it seems to need a push-button interaction from the FOB to reset. I had gotten the message on my FOB, and then cleared with Wife's. I could still get-in and start the car with my low-battery FOB and have no message. It wasn't until I did a remote start and the message reoccurred (as expected) and I finally got around to swapping out the battery.

I think there was a nother forum post on someone that had the message for well over a month after swapping the battery, until he use a button on the FOB.

i think it's the electronic version of pillow talk..... lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay, good thoughts on this. We almost always are in the car together, rare for just one of us to be in the car. We also don't use the buttons on the fobs, just keep them in pocket or purse. The manual had nothing to say about clearing messages, neither the printed copy or a searchable PDF copy. Mine is a MY 2013, purchased 10/2012 with 31,000 miles now.

Thanks,
Tim.

·
Registered
13,933 Posts
Funny, my car complained about a weak fob battery just last week. I just replaced the battery and the warning message seems to have disappeared..

If the message bothers you enough, black electrical tape on your DIC (driver information console) works well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts