GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this installed? It's basically clear but has heat reflection of over 60% Similar to 30% ceramic window tint.
I'm not a fan of dark tinted window but heat rejection does have its appeal.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm not a fan of dark tinted window but heat rejection does have its appeal.
Lighter tints (say, 50%) often have better heat rejection than the darker (say, 20% tint) - so you may want to get a standard tint on the main windows. The "clear" tints (normally 80-90% visible transmittance) are good for the windshield if you are into that sort of thing.

-Charlie

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac ELR
825 Posts
I'm getting the ELR done on Monday. Regular tint sides and back, ceramic on the front. 35/70%

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had this done after buying the car. having Llumar film installed on side and rear hatch windows. The side windows are almost clear but still reject a good amount of heat and almost all UV. The hatch window is darker. Net result: car stays far cooler while parked outside in Iowa summers; the air conditioning is not stressed and I am able to use "Eco" most days; and the interior does not degrade in the sunlight. If you do this make sure you use a top-quality film. Cheaper ones fall apart in sunshine and do not perform as well.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I haven't tinted my gen 2 yet, but I had my gen 1 Volt tinted using Llumar CTX tint, 20% on the rear windows and hatch, and 40% on the front. It made quite the difference, sringlee described it well, my results where the same. Llumar has a nice chart showing the differences : Chart

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
582 Posts
How many years do these tints last before they start fading, yellow, or bubble?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I'm getting the ELR done on Monday. Regular tint sides and back, ceramic on the front. 35/70%
nice,didn't know about the ceramic for the front,,I'm gonna find an installer that uses it.which brand/model are you getting?

·
Registered
2016 Volt Premier, delivered Oct/15
680 Posts
I also do not like dark tints and in fact they are not allowed where I live. I added 3 M crystalline 90% to my side and back windows and it does a great job at reflecting heat. It’s been on 6 years without a problem and comes with a lifetime warranty.

More technical specs can be found here:

·
Registered
44 Posts
We had max tint for our state installed on sides and rear as well as across the top of the 5 inches of the windshield (the shop had us test our view while seated to make sure it didn't line up with our distance viewing angle).

We almost never use Max AC since then unless left out in the sun for hours over 90 degrees and then just for about a minute or two.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The real reason for the limit of tint is actually more to protect Police officers making traffic stops.
Of course that's the reason for the law - I'm talking about backing up safely and checking blind spots with a dark rear windows at night. With the dark tint on the Volt back window, headlights are a mere suggestion as soon as the window gets dirty...

In most states, you can legally fully block the rear windows (think panel van) as long as you have both side mirrors - doesn't mean you should do it.

-Charlie

1 - 14 of 14 Posts