GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, getting my 2017 this week, and am quite excited!

I will be putting a clear bra on the front of the car, as in my experience this does a fantastic job of warding off stone chips, and not looking obvious.

My question is, other than the obvious location of hood and front of the fenders, are there any other spots on the car that are prone to stone damage/sandblasting? For example, my Lancer got quite a bit of abrasion just behind the rear door, on the fender flare.

Any funny shaped bits on the 2016/17 that seem to get knocked? Thanks!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Front of the mirror caps. Whole hood, and A-pillars.
On all my cars, I always put a strip on the top of the bumper (the width of the hatch opening) to protect with suitcases going in and out.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
I have a llumar half hood and half fenders paint protection film on my 2017. I had it installed a couple of days after I picked it up. My car is now 6 months old with over 7000 miles on it. It has done it's job well and the half hood protection seems to have been adequate so far.

My previous blue topaz 2013 Volt had a lot of stone chips on the lower hood.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ask for details on what's covered, some installer won't touch the silver grills. It can be done, but needs some skills. Same thing with the chrome trims on the bottom of the silver trim, you'd want that covered because the chrome will show all kinds of blemish. Black rocker panel trim. The piano black finish shows all kinds of blemish. I also had some put on the triangular piece in the front fender area in front of the rear wheels.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm not sure how well headlights are made now adays compared to 10 years ago, but that was the first thing I did with my car. Previously I had a used car and the headlights (nice HIDs) were already fogged pretty bad and has a decent amount of sandblasting. You could correct that some with compounds and work, but the liquid sealants never worked long and they degraded pretty quick again. This time around I bought some film headlight protectors and installed them. Hopefully they keep the UV rays from breaking down the UV protectors in the headlights to start with and should help with physical damage. I haven't had heat issues (granted we're going into fall, not the dead of summer) but those low beam LED lights hardly put out any heat to start with, the high beams on the other hand do put out a decent amount of heat, but I really try to only use those when the car is moving which even with the film should provide enough cooling air to keep things in check. I think they were about $80 and install took about 30 minutes. Use A LOT of water when you install, like everything soaking, film, headlights, nitrile gloved hands, etc. Within two days they fully dried and there isn't a single bubble anywhere under them and you can't tell they're on unless you get close to the car and look for them.

Even if these only last a year, I can pull them off and install another set. $80 is well worth having those headlights in perfect condition. I'm already impressed with how bright the LED/high beams are. I got mine from HeadlightArmor. I don't represent them at all, just recommending what I used since they were a perfect precut fit and I'm pretty dang happy with them!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts