GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First this is a BEAUTIFUL car. And while the effort is noted, who exactly is this supposed to be for? There are 100's of thousands of commuters that have no choice but to commute to work in the SF bay area and many other cities around the US (and it is much more than 40 miles) making this, and other all electric/gas vehicle nothing new or great. Sure, we all wish we could live closer to where we work, but then we would be giving up the houses with yards for condos and concrete.
Why hasn’t anyone tried to design a Diesel (Veggie Oil)/Hybrid? It could be converted (if not already designed to do so) from a diesel engine to run on cooking oil, and electricity, and if the owner or employers used solar chargers to recharge, it would be extremely clean. And the technology is here, and it is buildable now, and the company that put this vehicle out now, would make millions. It would be worth the investment for the individual, for the state, the government, (and better for the world), and would be very profitable for the manufacturer that built it now (not in 5 years). I am not saying that the goal of a 100% electric car that can go for hundreds of miles is not what we should all be working towards, we certainly should, but we are not there, and trying to mass market a car that only goes 40 miles on an electric charge, and still burns gasoline is not a great design, or new technology. And just think, if you were to create the fueling stations that picked up all the restraint grease and converted it to a clean fuel, selling it for less than gas or diesel….WOW…$$Cha-Ching$$ Why not take it a step farther and dominate the market, instead of trying to compete with something that is already here? But, that is just my opinion, and we know what those are like..

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
At best, that would be a niche market. Already in the news, there are container trucks stealing collected grease from waste grease collecting areas of big food processing plants. So the prices could end up higher than that of diesel from oil.

The fact is that there's not enough grease to go around. Even if we do liposuction of all the obese people of the world and use the drained fat for biodiesel, it would not be enough to meet just California's one day fuel consumption. I wish they can drain mine and put it to use, I'd be more than happy to donate and help save the world! :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is not all about the used oil and grease. See below. More people are stealing gas from stations, gas trucks, and from cars on the street then oil that was going to be disposed of, instead of used. ;)

http://www.biodiesel.org/resources/pressreleases/gen/20080522_gmanr1.pdf
"Biodiesel is a sustainable fuel that can be produced from non-food crops and waste sources such as used
restaurant grease. Even with biodiesel made from soybean oil, Jobe said, “more than 80 percent of each
soybean is still used for animal feed or food. Biodiesel’s effect on the food supply is minimal, and to claim
otherwise is nothing short of intellectually dishonest.” Jobe noted that less than five percent of the world’s
soybeans are used for U.S. biodiesel production."

Try here to learn more about Biodiesel: :)
http://gas2.org/2008/04/10/biodiesel-mythbuster-20-twenty-two-biodiesel-myths-dispelled/

But the point is, there not looking at cleaner sources. they are trying to compete by putting out a vehicle in 2 years, when Toyota and the others did last year. In 2 years, (hopefully) everyone else's hybrids will get 70+ mpg, not the 50 they are hoping for. Don't try to keep up...Lead the way!! With gas running $5 per gal now, what will it be in 2 years?...$7? more? Let's break our dependence on foreign oil!

·
3,689 Posts
OK, Let's grow some soybeans and slap a high volume production line together and start pumping out your world savers in what? A month or so? Yeah, great plan! I wish we though of that. <sarcasm>

I think if you took the time to learn more about what is real and what is fantasy you would realize that what GM is doing is quite bold and risky. I know it seems very easy but... Oh and welcome to the forum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts