GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The car parts store did not have a filter. So, with nothing to loose I washed it with Simple Green and dunked it in a 5 gallon bucket of water, WOW. instant black water. Seriously, 30K miles on a used car it was amazing how well this filter did it's job. So I set it up on the top of the car and let it dry out. And all is good. In retrospect, if you can have a new filter on hand , just remove and replace it.
If not, it washes out just fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It only takes 5 screws to remove the glove box. Seriously simple. It looks like a big job , but it is dirt simple. Look at this picture . It looks like some kind of a big deal but it is not. Change your cabin air filter.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Without testing equipment I will never know. But it is a billion times cleaner than it was. The filter element is a polyester ( I looked at the label ) so water and detergent won't hurt it at all. And, at least one less item of plastic did not go into the landfill. So that's good , right?

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
455 Posts
Good tip. I wonder how much of that black gunk came from the last couple of weeks?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I sort of wonder if at least some of the "black" is possibly from charcoal that was in the filter. My 2011 didn't come with a filter and I didn't see a need to add one - even though it is possible without disassembling the glove box area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The air is bad here in San Diego with the Valley Fire. View attachment 171094
The car parts store did not have a filter. So, with nothing to loose I washed it with Simple Green and dunked it in a 5 gallon bucket of water, WOW. instant black water. Seriously, 30K miles on a used car it was amazing how well this filter did it's job. So I set it up on the top of the car and let it dry out. And all is good. In retrospect, if you can have a new filter on hand , just remove and replace it.
If not, it washes out just fine. View attachment 171095
It is a charcoal activated filter. It is supposed to be black

·
Registered
34 Posts
I live in Los Angeles. I installed a K&N on my 2014. I have been putting them in all my cars for 25 years or so. Buy once and done. Clean once a year (twice a year if it's been especially dusty) and put back in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I live in Los Angeles. I installed a K&N on my 2014. I have been putting them in all my cars for 25 years or so. Buy once and done. Clean once a year (twice a year if it's been especially dusty) and put back in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
K&N has cabin air filters huh? I did not know that. I will have to check it out.
As far as the left over black on the filter, that is just left over dirt. I have been washing out cabin air filters for a couple of decades now and the one thing I have learned is to not be too aggressive as the membrane is subject to damage. I had a BMW with a carbon assisted cabin air filter. It was nice for a couple of months and then it just started to let out funky odors after it was over it's service life. A couple of months on a $38 cabin air filter? Yikes!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
While on the subject of cabin airfilters. This came out of my mother-in-laws Lexus.
I have no idea as to the service interval. I washed it and it was good enough.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts