GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Obviously if the nav is inop you can't drive the car, totally bricked.

Good reason to ban infotainment systems. Force people to learn something

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
It may be the latest upgrades. I did three test drives in Ford and Lincoln hybrid vehicles, and saw the MySync in operation. It worked as it was supposed to at the time of the drives.

·
Registered
118 Posts
When I was researching cars a few months ago, I ran across a YouTube video of a Ford with MyFord Touch's navigation, that showed the navigation system thought the car was dozens of feet from where it was. The result was amusing -- the navigation display showed the car traveling across empty fields, buildings, etc., when of course it was moving along the road. Yes, the car could still drive, but if you're on a road trip and relying on it to get you somewhere, that sort of problem would be maddening.

I was considering a C-Max, but only if it came with the new Sync 3, which is much better than the older MyFord Touch, by all accounts. Thus, the quote from the Ford engineer that MyFord Touch would be "unsaleable" was 100% accurate for me; I've read too many horror stories and bad reviews of that system to consider buying a car with it. (Except perhaps if I could replace it, but that's becoming increasingly difficult with modern cars, and I could find nothing -- not even cheap Chinese headunits -- that was designed to fit into a 2016 C-Max.)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
It may be the latest upgrades. I did three test drives in Ford and Lincoln hybrid vehicles, and saw the MySync in operation. It worked as it was supposed to at the time of the drives.
Depends what version they were running. MySync 1 and 2 are Microsoft based and it's my understanding these are the ones people are having trouble with.

Most new Fords today come with MySync 3 which is Blackberry QNX based and seems to have gotten fairly good reviews. Maybe Ford should have re-branded MySync 3 into something else.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
My 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid had Sync and it was simply awesome! You could have a conversation with it. It truly did work flawlessly. Going from that to my 2012 Volt was a GIANT leap backwards. I find the Volt's voice commands pretty much useless.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
This is one reason I usually pass on the Nav and infotainment premium options. Smartphones and tablets perform most functions better and they are easier to update, fix, or replace, plus they are already data connected. When I buy a car, I am thinking about potentially owning it for 10+ years. Few electronic devices avoid obsolescence that long.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I had a '13 C-Max Energi for 2 years that had the My Ford Touch (MFT) infotainment system. Should have been renamed "Mother F__king Trash" or something like that instead. The thing was soooooo slow, and trying to enter an address in the NAV was a good way to end up dropping some F-bombs. If it didn't recognize my voice commands for entering an address, I just used my phone's Google maps instead.

Pretty bad when you are sued because your system simply SUCKS.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I had a '13 C-Max Energi for 2 years that had the My Ford Touch (MFT) infotainment system. Should have been renamed "Mother F__king Trash" or something like that instead. The thing was soooooo slow, and trying to enter an address in the NAV was a good way to end up dropping some F-bombs. If it didn't recognize my voice commands for entering an address, I just used my phone's Google maps instead.

Pretty bad when you are sued because your system simply SUCKS.
I half agree with that from my '13 Fusion Energi. Sync 3.5.1 sucked hard, lots of reboots/freezes and other strange behavior, but once the 3.6.2 update was installed it fixed everything like magic.. in my car anyway.

But I agree that the system was rushed out and they definitely paid the price as their customer satisfaction ratings tanked from it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Not really thrilled with Fords MFT either. But it wasn't like the 2013 Volt we had was much better. When the center screen dies you lose functionality. And potentially to the point that you can't drive the vehicle. Happened in the volt and our Ford.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts