1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'll be very interested to see what's included at that price. It seems like this will push down Volt pricing, IF it delivers the specs listed.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
My Honda dealer said he would get them in January. This is a very high-volume dealer.

I think it is going to be a great car, but I can't get over the odd styling. I actually prefer the look of the last generation Prius over this.

·
Administrator
20,339 Posts
Well, if GM does kill the Volt, this may be worth a look as a replacement for my 2011.

·
Registered
193 Posts
GM is not going to have to kill the Volt if the numbers I am seeing hold true in the real world.
Honda has lower price.
Bigger car.
Better ICE MPG
And 47 all electric miles!
PLUS and Perhaps most importantly it's a Honda!
No one is a bigger Chevy fan than me, but Mary had better get on the stick or just plan to be a truck company!

·
Registered
95 Posts
GM is not going to have to kill the Volt if the numbers I am seeing hold true in the real world.
Honda has lower price.
Bigger car.
Better ICE MPG
And 47 all electric miles!
No one is a bigger Chevy fan than me, but Mary had better get on the stick or just plan to be a truck company!
I agree. If Chevy doesn't improve the Volt, or make a larger Voltec PHEV, then this Honda might very well be my next car when the Volt lease is up.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Don't forget....
Car and Driver will swoon....
Consumer Reports will probably have an oxxxxxm!
And all the Detroit haters and Government Motor haters will suddenly see this new Honda as the best thing since sliced bread!
Good news for EV.
Bad news for GM unless they act quickly and decisively to maintain their EV lead. It will take a 5k price cut for the Volt to keep a sales lead over this Honda if Honda makes the car available in all 50 states. The PIP does not have the EV miles and it will not seat 5 people and it is still about to pass the Volt. My hope is that GM will not squander the leadership of EV America. But, my fear is they will!
One more thing....Looks does not matter at all. The Prius is absolute proof that ugly sells fine if the numbers make sense!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I like what I've read about the Clarity PHEV. However, I've had Hondas (Acuras same difference) and a Chevy Volt. The Volt is way better built and has been more reliable. Nothing wrong with Honda, just don't see why anyone would think a Honda was so great. Age?

The PIP does not have the EV miles and it will not seat 5 people and it is still about to pass the Volt.
Given the number of Prius owners, my prediction was the Prime would easily outsell the Volt. The fact this hasn't happened is a bit of a surprise to me. While Honda is known for offering vehicles that get good MPG, it simply doesn't have a legion of hybrid customers like Toyota, so my guess is the Clarity won't have the same success as the PIP.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
I'm sorry but this car makes me want to throw up. There's no reasonably inexpensive way to cover up the ugly that's all over that car.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I hope I am wrong! Around here the Honda mystique runs pretty deep. Toyota may outsell , but it doesn't have the same stars in your eyes appeal. If it has Honda written on it....ATVs, motorcycles, small engines,outboards,generators, jets...It's golden to everyone I know!
Like it or not...if it has GM written on it, the baggage associated with the brand is an absolute anchor!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
If this hybrid is like the accord hybrid it will get goodcity metrics but the highway numbers won’t quite measure up to EPA and be didsappointing

·
Registered
675 Posts
If this hybrid is like the accord hybrid it will get goodcity metrics but the highway numbers won’t quite measure up to EPA and be didsappointing
The 2014 Honda Accord Hybrid is EPA 45mpg highway. The 2017 Accord Hybrid is EPA 47mpg highway. I've never driven a Honda hybrid. The gen2 Volt is EPA 42mpg highway and the gen2 Volt is able to get 42mpg highway at 65mph; maybe 70mph but only in perfectly ideal conditions (mild temperatures and no hills). I imagine the 2014 Accord would also match its EPA rating at 65mph as well; is that your experience?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Personally, I like the car's specs. I like the cars space. I like the car's range. The looks are clearly subjective and might grow on me once I have seen it in person. For the price, it looks like a very compelling sedan. I do not like the radio though. You might ask how do I know? Well, it is set up exactly like the Honda Civic with no buttons or knobs for the radio. The Civic's radio interface is an absolute mess. I took my daughter out to test drive one. We ended up not test driving one as we sat in the car for 15 minutes trying to work the radio and some other controls on that flat piece of glass that had absolutely no logic to it whatsoever. The sales lady tried to comfort us by showing us how to work it. It was hilarious as she sat there trying to adjust the radio using a knob "below" the radio that had nothing to do with it. I really liked the car other than the radio. It was an instant deal breaker.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I don't recall the article at the moment but one of the magazine's tested a prototype Clarity and the ICE can't be locked out even when there is battery range left. It sounds like it needs some engine assist at times. I don't like that.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A lot of people are put off by the Clarity's styling but when you compare it to the rest of the Honda car lineup, it's not much different. i.e. I whipped this up a while ago showing it against the Civic (sorry for low-res, cannot find my original)

Clarity vs Civic.jpg

(Maybe that means all Honda's are ugly to some)

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I don't recall the article at the moment but one of the magazine's tested a prototype and the ICE can't be locked out even when there is battery range left. It sounds like it needs some engine assist at times. I don't like that...
According to information released by Honda, the gas engine always comes on with full-throttle acceleration, even when the battery is full. It contributes to the car's maximum power and acceleration. But if you don't floor it, the engine will not come on when the battery has charge. Also, there is a detent in the accelerator pedal that you can feel that tells you how far you can press it without triggering the gas engine start, so you can still drive it like a Volt if you choose to.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't recall the article at the moment but one of the magazine's tested a prototype and the ICE can't be locked out even when there is battery range left. It sounds like it needs some engine assist at times. I don't like that.

Also while the Clarity has more horsepower it's way down on torque at 232 ft-lbs vs 294 ft-lbs for the Volt. Sounds like the electric motors are a little weak to me. Maybe that's why they need ice assist at times.
What I've read is that there is a "detent" in the accelerator that you can feel and have to push through to engage the ICE. I anticipate it will be similar to my old Fusion Energi when needing full acceleration. The thing I *really* disliked about the Energi (besides sub-20 mile EV range) was the fact that it went into hybrid mode when the battery temperature was high which happened often during north Texas summers, especially right after level 2 charging sessions.

I've still not seen any reporting on if the battery pack in the Clarity PHEV is active/passive and air or water based - that's going to be a key thing for me.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
A lot of people are put off by the Clarity's styling but when you compare it to the rest of the Honda car lineup, it's not much different. i.e. I whipped this up a while ago showing it against the Civic (sorry for low-res, cannot find my original)

View attachment 143793

(Maybe that means all Honda's are ugly to some)
It is not bad in that graphic, but that color, angle and resolution for the Clarity does not really reveal the rear fender partial skirt that is the most cringe-worthy feature, IMO.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is not bad in that graphic, but that color, angle and resolution for the Clarity does not really reveal the rear fender partial skirt that is the most cringe-worthy feature, IMO.
I agree that the rear fender skirt is not attractive but at least they say it is aerodynamically functional so it's not just aesthetics.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts