GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm sitting at the dealer right now and they're looking at my car. 2012 Volt, 38k miles.

A couple of months ago when I went to charge the car (120v unit, only about 6 months old) it would only charge if I unplugged the charger from the wall, let it sit for 10 seconds, and then plug it back in. Whether it worked or not, the lights on the charger were always green, but the car wouldn't have the charging indicating light on the dash. Also whenever the car finishes charging at night, the blinking green light on the dash is no longer present. It's like the charger or car is disabling any connection between the two, but again the charger has all green lights.

Anyway, they say that they can't replicate the charging issue here and that maybe it's the wiring in my house. Plausible, except I tried it at work and the same issue is present. If the charger is unplugged for an extended period (like me driving from home to the dealer) it will typically work right away. Frustrating.

Has anyone had this specific issue before? I just want something to go off of. My Volt tech is awesome but if I can give her some hints maybe that would help since she hasn't seen this before either.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
If you could borrow another charger cord from someone and try it at your house, and it works ok, then the problem must be with your charger cord. If the borrowed one does the same thing, then you must have a problem with your house wiring.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
It would be nice if it is the EVSE, since that is trivial to replace. Can you reliably reproduce the problem? Maybe leave it at the service center for an overnight charge. If you can get it to reproduce for them, maybe they will try swapping out your EVSE for you to see if that fixes it. If it does not, they know to look inside the car.

By the way, I assume you have tried 8 amp charging?

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Troubleshooting suggestions.

1) Try your EVSE in another outlet, preferably at another location entirely (you've done this).
The problem persists so it is unlikely to be the outlet.

2) Try another EVSE if one is available.

3) Get an IR thermometer and monitor the temperatures of your EVSE, especially around the plugs and the back side of the case. It's possible you could have a temperature based expansion issue interfering with contact.

Depending on the environment you charge in, it might also be useful to get some contact cleaner (make sure it's alcohol based/plastic safe) and give the EVSE plugs (both of them) and the socket in the car a good snort to clean things off.

·
Registered
524 Posts
There are a number of L1 and L2 locations in Duluth shown on Plugshare. Try these to see if you can isolate the problem to your house wiring, EVSE or the car.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
...it would only charge if I unplugged the charger from the wall, let it sit for 10 seconds, and then plug it back in...
This sounds like the behaviour I would expect when the car is programmed for delayed charge. This is the sequence used to override the delay setting and charge immediately. Check your settings.

KNS

1 - 9 of 9 Posts