·
Administrator
20,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
34 Posts
CNG at the airport

I drive CNG shuttle buses at work, and at the fuel station I often see Civic GXes. I have talked to some of the owners and they say there are enough CNG stations in the L.A. area that you can get around town easily, and even go as far as Las Vegas or up to the San Francisco area. I have been following this Volt site for a while, and would love to get one someday, but until I move into a house where I can plug in, CNG might be something to consider.

·
Administrator
20,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Every tech has pros and cons. The biggest con I see with NGV's is the one mentioned in the article: the space the tanks need, effectively removing any trunk space.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
Steverino,

If vehicles are outfitted with Quantum Technologies high pressure tanks:

http://www.qtww.com/tanks

then it won't take up as much room. The 70 MPa (10 kpsi) may well be enough to provide a reasonable driving range itself.

It is interesting that we are suddenly getting stories in the news in which we are now exporting ethanol (and have been exporting bio-diesel), and will soon be exporting natural gas, as enormous reserves have finally been reached. A story today has China scrambling to extract its own shale natural gas deposits. It may be reasonable to project that natural gas vehicles may reach a significant percentage of our vehicle fleets in the future. Moreover, this natural gas could be converted to methanol, which could power ICE vehicles, as well as methanol fuel cell vehicles.

The best part is, natural gas infrastructure can be immediately be used for hydrogen infrastructure, when hydrogen fuel cell vehicles become available.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
A smart move IMHO. I bet they're WAY cheaper to fuel than a gas car now. I would have bought a GM NGV a long time ago if one had been available. Although didn't Honda spin off its subsidiary that made the home NG fueling stations? I can't remember why. Simple lack of demand?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts