GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Pacifica PHEV Hybrid Minivan Forum - The Largest Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Minivan Forum And Community!

http://insideevs.com/chrysler-pacifica-hybrid-plug-in-minivan-with-30-miles-range-80-mpge/

Introducing the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid minivan, which apparently is a superior name over just calling it the Town & Country plug-in. (Video of live debut from NAIAS at bottom)

Let’s get right to what it can do; Chrysler says it is equipped with a 16 kWh battery, that gives the minivan a ~30 mile range and allows it to hit 80 MPGe – answering an earlier advertised teaser.

One can’t help but notice the lithium battery, which is tucked underneath, just hits the threshold for the maximum federal credit – so the full $7,500 government kickback is on the table.

As for the petrol-burning part of the equation, Chrysler has equipped the PHEV Pacifica Hybrid with a 3.6-liter Pentastart V6 – the same power plant in the non-plug-in. However in the Pacifica the engine output has been lowered to 248hp with 230lb ft of torque.
Nice entry from Chrysler. I know some are not a fan of Sergio but this looks like a good start.

Note 2 hour recharge time at 240V would indicate a 6.6KW charger.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
We posted this at the same time roughly ;)

I am super excited by this vehicle. A minivan seems like a great powertrain for plug-in hybrid, as it mostly takes short trips around town with a few longer highway trips blended in. Fast charging is great for picking up kids from school, driving home for 1 or 2 hours, then taking them to practice, etc. This could save a lot of gas. Of course at current gas prices it doesn't save any money, but they surely won't stay that low for ever and it saves burning a lot of hydrocarbons.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Sigh, GM could have done this years ago. Maybe this will kickstart them.

EPA will probably be much less than the stated 30 miles considering it's a big vehicle (Minivan/CUV combination).

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Sigh, GM could have done this years ago. Maybe this will kickstart them.

EPA will probably be much less than the stated 30 miles considering it's a big vehicle (Minivan/CUV combination).
Same size battery as Volt 1, so probably not be significantly less than 30 EPA range. It is rated at 80 MPGe vs 97 for Volt 1, if Volt 1 range is 35 miles, 80% of that is 28 miles. Volt 1 also only used 60% of the battery too, this might use a lot more (like up to 80 or 85%).

Eric

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
All I can say is WOW!! I really, really like it. If it had AWD, I would be completely sold and it would replace our aging Saturn Outlook, as it stands now, I will have to "think" about it very hard :)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
To add:
For reference my '12 Quest minivan loaded with family gets about 22 to 24 mpg on the highway at 75 mph. My Volt gets about 33 mpg at the same speed with 1 person. In town my Volt gets 35 to 40 MPG and my van around 17 mpg. Minivans actually get pretty decent highway MPG, it is in the town where the big engine and weight really hurt. This is why I think an Extend Range EV version, like this van, is such a great idea, but they are also superb highway vehicles (best I think, long and heavy and fairly aerodynamic, much more so than higher SUV) so an excellent contender for extended range hybrid vehicle.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think this is potentially a very compelling vehicle depending on price.

For some technical information the Allpar forum has a good article. Allpar has a number of current and former Chrysler engineers that are active on that forum.

The article below has information on both the gas and PHEV models.
http://www.allpar.com/model/m/pacifica/power.html

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I think this is potentially a very compelling vehicle depending on price.

For some technical information the Allpar forum has a good article. Allpar has a number of current and former Chrysler engineers that are active on that forum.

The article below has information on both the gas and PHEV models.
http://www.allpar.com/model/m/pacifica/power.html
Love it, I first thought: "that sounds a lot like a Volt powertrain". Then I read: "The photo below is of Chrysler’s first motors-in-transmission setup, engineered mostly by General Motors", no wonder, this is exactly what GM should be doing. They were smart to develop tech first as other companies come to them to buy it and their expertise. Never thought I would see Chrysler buying tech from GM.

Looks like a mini version of the Voltec in the Volt 2 (very loosely) shoved into the transmission. Sounds like it doesn't make that much power from electric motors, any estimate of electrical kW from the two motors?

Edit: oh, and tell me that the 9 speed photographed doesn't look 10 times more complex than the Voltec. This is part of the reason these Electric CVT transmissions will take over.

Eric

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
It is rated at 80 MPGe vs 97 for Volt 1, if Volt 1 range is 35 miles, 80% of that is 28 miles.
The 2011 Volt only got 93 MPGe. (MY2012=94 MPGe; MY2013-2015=98MPGe)

So 80 MPGe would be quite remarkable for a minivan.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
To add:
For reference my '12 Quest minivan loaded with family gets about 22 to 24 mpg on the highway at 75 mph. My Volt gets about 33 mpg at the same speed with 1 person. In town my Volt gets 35 to 40 MPG and my van around 17 mpg. Minivans actually get pretty decent highway MPG, it is in the town where the big engine and weight really hurt. This is why I think an EV version is such a great idea, but they are also superb highway vehicles (best I think, long and heavy and fairly aerodynamic, much more so than higher SUV) so an excellent contender for extended range hybrid vehicle.
I would disagree. I think an EV minivan is a long way off. Minivans are family haulers. The average soccer mom may drive 10 miles a day, or 100, sometimes you don't know until half way though the day. It's also a vehicle to transport the whole family on vacation. As a kid I took many trips in the back of my moms van. When you have 3+ rowdy kids in the car, you probably want to get to your destination without having to stop every hour to recharge. My 7 hour road trips to the grandparents would have turned into 12+ hour trips in an EV.
Stick with EREV on larger vehicles. BEVs are great for commuting and in the city.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I would disagree. I think an EV minivan is a long way off. Minivans are family haulers. The average soccer mom may drive 10 miles a day, or 100, sometimes you don't know until half way though the day. It's also a vehicle to transport the whole family on vacation.
Sorry, you misunderstood me, I agree with what you say completely. When I said EV I mean any vehicle that can run primarily electric (BEV, EREV both included), specifically I was referring to an EREV. I would hate a BEV minivan, although they are not far off as I think Nissan is offering one in the next year or two. Would be a good delivery vehicle or taxi maybe. I updated my original post to make my intent clear.

·
2,358 Posts
It does look very good. I'm sure it will carry quite the price premium over the ICE Pacifica, but it will still be the most affordable 7-seat plug-in by far.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts
Finally a Plug In Minivan!

Because "Hey little girl, want some candy." doesn't sound the same coming from a Prius.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Love it, I first thought: "that sounds a lot like a Volt powertrain". Then I read: "The photo below is of Chrysler’s first motors-in-transmission setup, engineered mostly by General Motors", no wonder, this is exactly what GM should be doing. They were smart to develop tech first as other companies come to them to buy it and their expertise. Never thought I would see Chrysler buying tech from GM.

Looks like a mini version of the Voltec in the Volt 2 (very loosely) shoved into the transmission. Sounds like it doesn't make that much power from electric motors, any estimate of electrical kW from the two motors?

Edit: oh, and tell me that the 9 speed photographed doesn't look 10 times more complex than the Voltec. This is part of the reason these Electric CVT transmissions will take over.

Eric
Yup this appears to be a Chrysler updated version of the GM FWD two mode hybrid system. Daimler Chrysler was part of the Global Hybrid Cooperation when GM was trying to spread the technology to decrease costs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Hybrid_Cooperation

Just like the Gen II Volt (Malibu Hybrid) also appears to be a heavily updated version of the FWD two mode hybrid system.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Thanks, looks like GM makes a 2ML70 with 82 kW, so maybe that will be close to what this minivan has? That seems reasonable, although not great, but given powerful ICE more than enough to move the minivan around town as I am sure torque is high.

Eric

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
The new Bolt EV battry pack layout can be mounted under the Chevy Equinox floor, and the Volt's 5ET50 EDU up front, so an EREV Equinox is now possible. It will not carry as many passengers, but the Equinox is GM's second best selling vehicle and does sell more than all of Chyrslers' minivans together.

·
Registered
502 Posts
According to Green Car Reports, there's a good possibility for AWD in order to keep the "fold flat" third-row seating. If so, I WANT!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts