GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
http://insideevs.com/lack-of-samsung-sdi-and-lg-chem-battery-certification-in-china-results-in-first-victim/

As the price of the Bolt depends, to a large extent, on the cost of the battery, I would imagine that this loss of a Chinese subsidy would impact the price of the Bolt, if not immediately (due to contract) but down the road.
Shouldn't affect GM's pricing for Bolt batteries, since those contracts were probably signed off a couple of years ago. According to last year's investor report, Bolt battery pricing was locked in at least through 2022.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I doubt it matters for the Bolt EV. The cells for the Bolt EV batteries weren't coming from China. More likely this would affect the CT6 or the possible Voltec Buick Envision.

Seems like a protectionist Chinese move to reduce competition from South Korea to me. If China can't compete in a battery technology then plants making the higher quality cells won't be certified.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Seems like a protectionist Chinese move to reduce competition from South Korea to me. If China can't compete in a battery technology then plants making the higher quality cells won't be certified.
An ex post facto rule change by Chinese gov't has basically doomed the XALT battery plant (Midland MI) to extinction. Contract one day, no contract the next.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

Ok, looks like fixed pricing is set through probably MY2018 for the Bolt, not 2022...if that slide is still accurate.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Shouldn't affect GM's pricing for Bolt batteries, since those contracts were probably signed off a couple of years ago. According to last year's investor report, Bolt battery pricing was locked in at least through 2022.
Renegotiate, renegotiate, renegotiate.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
No, this only means that in China, LG and Samsung won't be eligible for tax subsidies for cars sold there, I don't think it would have any impact on battery cost.

China is probably protecting their own Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries. They might be lower capacity, but they provide more power and longer life span. I wish we would see these in more cars. Seems like a small battery plugin hybrid would be nice as it could have a more powerful motor and faster charge time than some other Li-ion chemistries.

Anyway, I think the news is irrelevant to the Bolt EV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts