GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
I'd be very wary of longevity, safety, and service. Other than that...

·
Super Moderator
6,422 Posts
It would not appear that many (any?) USA manufacturers are going to get PHEVs in the China market. Honda? Wonder about BEVs? These 2020 ... 2025 years forecast are pretty far off based on China's speed of execution.

https://insideevs.com/byd-refreshes-new-song-qin-pro/
Look at the 2 PHEV's, very similar specs to the Volt but much faster 0-60
~200K PHEV's sold last year
https://insideevs.com/140000-plug-in-cars-sold-china-november/
China EV sales of 141.8K in Nov 2018! How does that compare to the USA if you consider population?

Population: USA 329093110 / China 1420062022 = 23.17%
32,861 USA equivalent = 141.8K * 23.17%
42,588 USA via InsideEVs below Nov sales

I bet if we do this calculation next year that China will be ahead of us.

Via: https://insideevs.com/140000-plug-in-cars-sold-china-november/
DEC 22 2018
It’s third monthly record in a row
According to the EV Sales Blog, roughly 141,800 plug-in electric cars were sold in China last month, which is the highest result ever registered – 18% higher than the previous record in October.

The pace of growth is remarkable – 59% year-over-year at outstanding 6.3% market share (partially because the overall market shrunk by 14% in November).

The latest update shows that more than 920,000 plug-in cars were sold in China so far this year [2018], which with one month to go means no only exceeding 1,000,000 but maybe reaching 1,075,000.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AT $4 a gallon they have more incentive to switch but I don't know how they afford them with an avg monthly white collar wage of $1300 and factory worker at $300. The PHEV version costs about 20k after subsidies

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I'd be very wary of longevity, safety, and service. Other than that...
That's the same thing they said about Honda when they introduced the Honda Cherry (N600?) in the 60's and what they said about the Hyundai Pony when they introduced the Pony in the 80's. Didn't take them long to get on top of it. While many equate Chinese products with being cheap like people did with Japanese products in the 60's (after all they made toys for Cracker Jack popcorn) remember they make the iPhone (which many equate with high quality product) and they did just land on the far side of the moon (no direct communication) which no one has done before. We underestimate them at our peril like the head of British Leyland did with the Japanese in the 60's ("Who would buy one of those pieces of junk"). One needs historical perspective if you want a window on the future.

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
That's the same thing they said about Honda when they introduced the Honda Cherry (N600?) in the 60's and what they said about the Hyundai Pony when they introduced the Pony in the 80's. Didn't take them long to get on top of it. While many equate Chinese products with being cheap like people did with Japanese products in the 60's (after all they made toys for Cracker Jack popcorn) remember they make the iPhone (which many equate with high quality product) and they did just land on the far side of the moon (no direct communication) which no one has done before. We underestimate them at our peril like the head of British Leyland did with the Japanese in the 60's ("Who would buy one of those pieces of junk"). One needs historical perspective if you want a window on the future.
I'm saying they will have a lot of convincing to do.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I'm saying they will have a lot of convincing to do.
That is true. As did Hyundai. I remember my brother saying about the Pony he looked at that it still had pieces of welding rod left under the mesh at the base of the windshield and just painted over. The second generation car, the larger Elantra my sister bought (lots of free options) had its interior fall apart, discolouring, warping in a couple of years. Took them three generations before they were up to par. Mind you we are at a point now where none of that would be acceptable and they have plenty of experience working with other manufacturers to know what the base line is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts