GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Although originally announced as selling for "well below $30,000", recent statements from GM executives suggest that the Chevy Volt will be available in late 2010 for approximately $35,000. Production will ramp up through 2011, with a target of up to 100,000 Chevy Volts being sold in 2012. Some bloggers have suggested that a "base model" Volt may sell for less while a "higher end" model may sell for more.

·
Registered
782 Posts
This just in .....

ME! Totally awesome experience, with a HUGE turnout. Since the drive home took 6 hours (traffic and fog) I'll post more tomorrow.
THANKS LYLE!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Picture of Volt Clay Model

Awesome experience at Volt Nation. Thank you Lyle. It was a pleasure to meet you NASAMAN. Lots of scattered tidbits, that I'll post separately.

First and foremost, the body style --> The clay model in this image is the shape of the new, more aerodynamic volt body.

The foreground of the picture is the interior mock-up. Interior goal is for the everything to feel like a snug suit with all controls within easy reach. Overall size goal is to be between compact and mid-size so that it has maximum appeal in all worldwide markets.

It's not a volt nation --> it's a volt world. Designs will meet all regulatory and safety requriements of every known market worldwide.

View my photo album at http://picasaweb.google.com/tlellenb/PicturesOfTheVoltNationTownHallMeetingAtTheNewYorkAutoShow

That's NASAMAN standing in front of both the Volt and Flexstreme (holding onto the picture of him standing in front of the Prius for blackmail).

Will try to add captions tonight. Can someone post the names and titles of everyone photo 22 from left to right that wrote them down? Unfortunately, my scribbles are just that.

·
Registered
198 Posts
First and foremost, the body style --> The clay model in this image is the shape of the new, more aerodynamic volt body.

The foreground of the picture is the interior mock-up. Interior goal is for the everything to feel like a snug suit with all controls within easy reach. Overall size goal is to be between compact and mid-size so that it has maximum appeal in all worldwide markets.

View my photo album at http://picasaweb.google.com/tlellenb/PicturesOfTheVoltNationTownHallMeetingAtTheNewYorkAutoShow
Why does GM have to tease us with that picture. I bet that lump of clay was more like 20% done. GM well know should have took the final clay close up. The interior mock-up is too dark to see some hint as well. I'm not complain that you show me the picture.:D

·
Registered
35 Posts
While it's definately a tiny/fuzzy picture I'm not liking the shape of the car to much, it looks pretty prius-esque. I really hope that it keeps at least some of it's cool looks when it comes to production. If I wanted something that looked like a Prius I'd buy a Prius.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tesla vs Volt

Why can a small company such as Tesla develop a performance vehicle that can get a 220 mile range while a large corporation such as GM can only give us a vehicle with a 40 mile range? They seem to use the same battery technology. Why can't we get a usable, affordable vehicle with a reasonable electric range?

http://www.teslamotors.com/

·
Registered
88 Posts
Why can a small company such as Tesla develop a performance vehicle that can get a 220 mile range while a large corporation such as GM can only give us a vehicle with a 40 mile range? They seem to use the same battery technology. Why can't we get a usable, affordable vehicle with a reasonable electric range?

http://www.teslamotors.com/
The Tesla Roadster costs $95K. The Volt will (hopefully) cost closer to $35K. The 60K difference buys a heck of a lot of battery technology.

·
Registered
2 Posts
same battery technology, lithium-ion, just more flash and style. I just want better range in an affordable vehicle.

·
Registered
198 Posts
same battery technology, lithium-ion, just more flash and style. I just want better range in an affordable vehicle.
Buzz,Wrong,Buzz

Correct info, It the same type of battery, but does not mean it the same Technology. The green thumb rule at this point in time is the bigger the battery the more it cost.

So if you want more range then go buy a Tesla Roadster that is affordable vehicle for some people. For people who want cheaper car that can run on battery as well. Then hopefully the Volt may be the one that people are seeking.

·
Registered
88 Posts
remember, if the EV-1 had been for sale, it would have cost about $85K. we're fighting a cost/performance curve for batteries. i think this'll go down in a few years when electric cars catch on in the mainstream--and they'd better!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Volt cost

Hopefully, the cost of the Volt will come down, much like the Prius which was initially offered at$60,000 USD but now can be purchased for around $22,000. I have a long term affection for GM products and wish to continue that association as a future purchaser of the Volt. I have no doubt that competition for battery vendors (especially from China) will be fierce resulting in a much more affordable Volt.

·
Registered
188 Posts
remember, if the EV-1 had been for sale, it would have cost about $85K. we're fighting a cost/performance curve for batteries. i think this'll go down in a few years when electric cars catch on in the mainstream--and they'd better!!
That is because they built less than 1200 by hand. If they had built 100,000 on an assembly line, the price would have been more like $25,000.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Batteries

If any VOLT batteries are made in China, I will not buy the car. That simple. I have sent too much of that garbage to the landfill already. :eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
But the Point of a Plug-In Hybrid is Cost

The FIGHT is over; and has been FOR 10 YEARS. The EV-1 needed 1000lbs of batteries to get 140mile range, but a 40-mile Series-Hybrid PHEV sill has enough capacity to totally eliminate gasoline consumption on most days for most drivers. The curious thing is that GM had showed a 40-mile plug-in EV1 at the 1998 Detroit Auto Show (presumably 300 lbs of batteries instead of 1000lbs), so they HAD it, but instead of switching over to the hybrid configuration they killed the whole product line?!?!??! If you've missed the point so far I'll state it clearly; if 1000lbs of batteries cost $30,000 then 300 lbs of batteries $9000 and that makes the PHEV-40 much more affordable than a pure EV.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If they had built more than 1150 and they had been mass produced instead of hand built, they would have cost less than $25,000. You can not spred $500,000,000. R&D and worthless ads across 1200 vehicles and get the cost down.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts