GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw in the article today on this forum that the Spark EV thermal management system is comprised of a liquid cooling/heating platform directly underneath the battery. The Volt's design has thermal plates carrying coolant between each battery cell, which seems like that would help maintain a more even battery temperature, though it is a more complex design. Do you think this will result in any long-term impacts on battery life for the Chevy Spark EV? Keep in mind that the Spark EV battery is covered by an 8 year/100,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I'm pretty confident that GM did a lot of testing on the Spark battery. They have stated that if you wanted to, you could use a DC fast charger every day without a problem.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
The A123 cell chemistry is pretty tough. Tougher (I believe) than the LG Chem Li-Poly cell in terms of thermal shift. And their next-gen model the EXT was supposed to work even better through a wider temperature range (think cell towers in the desert with non-Air Conditioned rooms holding standby batteries in case of grid failure - or cars).

·
Registered
820 Posts
LEAF manual indicates once per day (AFAIK) for it's air cooled battery.
Or air WARMED battery if you live in Phoenix! It's like putting your hand in front of a blow dryer here if you put your hand out the window of a moving car on an average July day.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Aside:
Or air WARMED battery if you live in Phoenix! It's like putting your hand in front of a blow dryer here if you put your hand out the window of a moving car on an average July day.
I get it! I went to college in Phoenix in a non Air Conditioned car. I did install a 12 fan but it was like a hair "blow dryer". My wife has never forgiven me for dragging her there in July while I completed my last two trimesters.

·
Registered
686 Posts
A123 promoted "nanophosphate ext", before their troubles, as a design that had a larger operating temperature range. It's generally one of the Li-ion advances I think we all expect will come. How much, how soon, is really where this question goes with the Spark. I'd be optimistic, and consider the Volt may have more than it really needed in the first place.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Aside:I get it! I went to college in Phoenix in a non Air Conditioned car. I did install a 12 fan but it was like a hair "blow dryer". My wife has never forgiven me for dragging her there in July while I completed my last two trimesters.
Trimester...hmmm...you went to DeVry didn't you? I graduated from there in 1995.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts