GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
So why haven't I heard about anyone reprogramming their Volt with ELR values? Software programs such as EFILive or HPTuners support the ECM (engine control module) but not necessarily all the hybrid parameters. HOWEVER, a GM MDI and GDS2 subscription would allow someone to program in the VIN of an ELR, reprogramming all the modules. From GMPartsDirect.com, it appears the modules all have the same part numbers.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
You go first. Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After looking at the ELR settings. It appears there are only around 6 tables that are actually programmed differently. No need to do a full reflash utilizing GDS2 & an MDI, HPTuners access is more than enough to alter them. Simpler than I could have hoped!

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I actually have thought about that. I do have a GM MDI but didn't take time to look into this. I'm not sure if it can program the modules of my 2013 Volt with the software of a 2014 ELR.
I also have HPTuners (my 2008 STS is programmed to run on E85) and will also compare the tables of an ELR.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
This would pose a interesting update, opened up battery window and more power.

Now what happens when something is missing or electronically different?

Time will tell

·
1,027 Posts
I suppose if they all had the same components you could do a full BCM reprogram and relearn. You'd probably need an ELR ECU as I don't think you can override the VIN once it is programmed, but all the other modules can be readapted.

Would be fun to try, but I suspect you are gonna end up with a few expensive bricks just brute forcing it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
wait4me has done it. I'll be visiting him soon to get mine done and will post results on the site, probably this thread since it is newer than the other one I posted in. I live relatively close. I suppose I'll have to get my post count up so I can post a link to YouTube video when I do. Stay tuned!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Very interesting. And here I thought the Cadillac ELR was just a well-dressed version of the Chevy Volt, kinda like the lexus, acura, and infiniti brand. I didn't know they actually tweaked the electric motor or at least the parameters.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Instead of just using GM GDS2 & an MDI to reprogram my 2013 Volt with an arbitrary 2014 ELR VIN, I went with Wait4Me's tune. He discussed what 6 settings are different and how he altered those and some more to overcome the set torque limits the E78 ECU demands. I'm at over 2200 miles and loving every mile so far. If you want the full 119-135kW, you need to be in mountain mode with the ICE activated (which I run E85 in). I prefer driving all electric only, and have the maximum output at 110-114kW currently with a very quick ramp up of the power band.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
But you don't get 12kwhr + out of the battery do you?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fuelverine,

119kw in hold mode and 110kw is all electric is almost stock for my 2013.

is your able to burn rubber from a complete stop on dry pavement ? is the torque limit changed or it's just the go pedal mapping like the sport mode ?

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've been hoping someone would crack this since I bought my car and learned the ELR used more of its battery.
Obviously, GM believes it won't harm the battery, or they wouldn't have done it.
I can't tell you how many times I turn onto my block and the gas motor kicks on to pull me in the driveway :|
Very annoying.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rmay: Correct, Wait4Me has not added additional battery depletion settings. Personally, I'd love to see that part changed; however, longevity of the battery was his key concern on that one.

Smog: I am only running 3-5% more power than stock and it does ramp up the power quicker. While Wait4Me has some wild tunes, I asked to start with a mild one. He has several additional options that do include a rubber burner setup. I plan on installing that one right before it's snow tire season. Will give video for evidence. Currently, with traction control disabled, it gives enough chirping to make me grin like a mad man.

Ringo: I had not heard that the ELR actually uses more of its battery capacity. I'd only heard it makes more use of its available instantaneous output. Can you confirm that it makes use of more than 10.5 kW-hr?

Today is my 2 month anniversary of owning the Volt. Made it 730 miles with only .1 gallon being used. Which was basically your situation, just around the corner from the house & it kicked on. Wish there was a 'NAV' setting that helped with that. If destination is within # miles, deplete battery to a max #.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The ELR uses 72% of its battery compared to 65% for the Gen 1 Volt. This extra 7% would mean a 2012 Volt would have an extra 1.1 kWh available for somewhere around 11 - 11.5 kWh on a full charge. Sign me up on this!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I've been hoping someone would crack this since I bought my car and learned the ELR used more of its battery.
Obviously, GM believes it won't harm the battery, or they wouldn't have done it.
I can't tell you how many times I turn onto my block and the gas motor kicks on to pull me in the driveway :|
Very annoying.
I think a better interpretation is that GM did the math and figured most ELR owners would not degrade the battery enough to require warranty work. Plus the larger profit margin means a replacement here and there is likely OK.
Whether they'd be willing to take that risk on a much higher volume volt that will likely be driven to the full extent of a warranty within the 8 years.. Who knows.
I'm gonna go with 'no', or they would have done it already. Would be a huge PR plus to say, "oh, by the way, your car performs even better now. Enjoy"

Not that I'm saying that extra 7% would make batteries die left and right. Just that the rate of degradation is greater than zero. We just don't know how much.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The other option is they don't want to open the window because all of their advertising on the new Volt claiming a 43% increase in battery range would now be false.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The other option is they don't want to open the window because all of their advertising on the new Volt claiming a 43% increase in battery range would now be false.
Any of us who know these cars well enough realize that the 2016 Volt range increase was mostly borne out of unlocking battery capacity.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Exactly why they don't want to do it on the Gen1. It would take some of the headlines away from the improvements on Gen2.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts