GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Given that you may need a tow at some point, here is the instruction sheet (PDF) for the tow truck driver. In case you want to make sure they do things correctly, print a copy and keep in your glove box with your User Manual,and/or on your phone. Thanks, Mcgsp!

View attachment 2011Volt_Towing.pdf

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Thank you, Steverino!

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Tow Eye

In a related topic, there is a "tow eye" cover (the small diamond shaped panel) on the Volt's front and rear bumpers. If a tow eye where available, loading the Volt onto a tow truck would apparently be easier.

I want to use the Tow-Hook Plate Mount similar to other cars that have the Tow-Hook-Eye-Bolt Hole covered with a Removable Square Pop-Out Button Cover. HOWEVER . . . once the cover is removed on my 2013 Volt all that is seen inside the bumper behind the little cover is the Foam Bumper Block - I can't see from the Parts List Exploded Views on the various Chevy Parts Sites any hole in the Metal Bumper Bar behind the Foam Block. Has anyone got any suggestions for using the Tow-Hook Mount on a Chevy Volt
Tow-eyes are included for exported Volts only. See illustrations from the Ampera Owners Manual below. The domestic Volts have diamond-shaped two-eye bolt covers, but the steel bumper lacks a threaded hole, so no retrofitting is possible.

I found this posted online in a Caddy forum I saw this "It <tow eye> was not designed to be used to pull you out of a ditch, or up the incline of a flatbed. The bumper system was not designed to handle that angular load. From 2010 1/2 on, there won't even be anything to screw the hook into for domestic vehicles"

This seems partially at odds regarding the use of the tow eye with a flatbed tow based on the Ampera Owners Manual.

Ampera-Tools-Tow-Eye.jpg Ampera-Towing-Tow-Eye.jpg Ampera-Towing-Tow-Eye2.jpg

This video that shows what happens to the front air dam when you don't pull over fast enough when your front tire going flat.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks! This is going in my glove box!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Towed on Thursday. Tow driver was looking for the tow eye stored in rear of vehicle (of course not there) but after reading this realize he didn't use a wood block when pulling up onto flatbed. From video air dam should be ok but will be sure to check it out closer when it comes out of the shop...thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
This is great. Added to FAQ. Thanks Steverino!

·
Administrator
19,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What is a torque box?
Let Google be your friend. A torque box is designed to aid the frame in resisting twist. On perimeter frames, the areas where the rails connect from front to center and center to rear are weak compared to regular frames, so that section is boxed in, creating what's known as a torque box.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_(vehicle)

·
Registered
45 Posts
thank you Steverino.

Just got my first flat....tow truck coming in an hour. This will definitely help.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Is the eyebolt in the trunk under the inflator. What's it for? Towing?
As I recall from another thread, that's bolt goes in a left-hand female thread that's behind the small covered port on the passenger's side of the front bumper for towing, and while required for most European countries, it was not featured on the Gen 1 Volts. We just got a Gen 2, and I haven't checked out that feature yet!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Will need to do this via the rear wheel method to wench it out of the lawn to pavement only as stuck! Thanks....putting a copy in my glove compartment. Thought the manual mentions it too I think.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts