GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nothing super special here. I plan on keeping it updated month to month.

http://voltowner.blogspot.com/2012/07/volt-sales.html

I know there must be a better technical term for what I did in the second graph with the purple and yellow. If there are any statisticians that know how I should relabel the graph, to perhaps make more sense, let me know.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The sales spike in March - was that due to tax filers looking to get a bigger return? I know when they had the new home tax credit a few years back, you were able to buy a house in June and amend your prior year's return to get the money almost immediately. Just wondering if that could have been done with the Volt.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Site looks good and is educational.

I would suggest something other than "Does this look like failure to you?" which may correlate with some historical negative publicity and comments associated with the car. I am a proponent of positive mental outlook and communication sort of like NASA and "Failure Is Not An Option" . . . yes, they have had failures but progress comes from failure . . . .

My personal assessment is that, at long last, the American auto buying public is finally starting to change their assessment and hence buying criteria for cars and trucks. If this hypothesis is accurate, your graphs will go up instead of down.

Regarding the purple and yellow, the text works and is representative of the SAAR or Seasonally Adjusted Annual Rate http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/saar.asp or http://www.nada.org/Publications/NADADATA/default.htm

In summary, I think this is great! Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I believe that was the month they started to sell HOV Volts AND the month they introduced the .9% financing and cheaper leases, which was huge.

Automotive: Thanks for the comments. I am battling in twitter everyday. Large parts of the media are calling the car a failure, so I am attempting to take that head-on. Its a matter of style, in any event ;)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Nice! One comment: I would suggest removing the purple line. It has no reasonable value to it since car sales historically have specific peaks and troughs month-to-month.

To extrapolate an entire year of December-like car sales or an entire year of May-like car sales is justifiably a meaningless number and you would have to continously explain/defend that number.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The sales spike in March - was that due to tax filers looking to get a bigger return? I know when they had the new home tax credit a few years back, you were able to buy a house in June and amend your prior year's return to get the money almost immediately. Just wondering if that could have been done with the Volt.
Not a tax guy here, but the purchase would have to be before the start of the new year. Any March purchase would go on the next year's tax return for the credit.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I agree the purple does not help.. and its not a normal term/model to use -- sine he march spike, even if it continued to the end of the year at that level, would not give a yearly sales of that level (because jan/feb were smaller).

For fun, you might add another plot the original Prius launch (in months from start in US market), something like
[
but continued with the new data (and not going as far into the furture)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Nice! One comment: I would suggest removing the purple line. It has no reasonable value to it since car sales historically have specific peaks and troughs month-to-month.
It really was a scaler for the monthly sales, that don't illustrate well given the scale of the graph. Notice it is a mirror image of the above green graph. I didn't want the bottom graph to be circulated in a manner than would incorrectly assume Volt sales had been flat.

I like the idea of a Prius Sales/Leaf sales graph. I don't want to dig up a bunch of historical prius data. I'll let you handle that :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
This partially answers the question I just posted. I'd like to see Volt numbers by month sold from the beginning. Anywhere I can find that? Also what about production as well?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can type 'MONTH YEAR hybrid vehicle sales' in google and you will be linked to the hybrid cars report dashboard. You'll need to do it for every montht the Volt was in production.

As for production numbers, beats the heck out of me.

·
8,680 Posts
It really was a scaler for the monthly sales, that don't illustrate well given the scale of the graph. Notice it is a mirror image of the above green graph. I didn't want the bottom graph to be circulated in a manner than would incorrectly assume Volt sales had been flat.

I like the idea of a Prius Sales/Leaf sales graph. I don't want to dig up a bunch of historical prius data. I'll let you handle that :)
Here's the first six years of Prii, according to priuschat...

http://priuschat.com/threads/toyota-lexus-hybrid-unit-sales-history-usa.20859/

If we're still talking about it in four years, maybe I'll find a newer source. :)

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
I think graphing the cumulative sales of Volts and Prii from the month/year of introduction would be illustrative. Personally I'm not that keen on the monthly data because it jumps around too much. Basing a year's worth of sales off it just exacerbates the problem.

·
Registered
205 Posts
CarZin - nice charts & data. Well done.

One statistic that can be drawn from CarZin's last chart is that the total number of Chevy Volts sold this year exceeds the combined total sales of the Toyota PIP and Nissan Leaf. Well done, GM.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts