GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Just got a used 2012 Chevy Volt. Absolutely love it! It drive's wonderfully and I'm getting about 42 AER per charge.

I do have one issue I'd like to see if anyone has found a solution to.

I can't seem to find any speed dial options in the phone settings, the quickest way I can dial is by going to Incoming/Outgoing calls.

Is their any speed dial options?

Also, I'd like to be able to change the ringtone setting. When someone calls in while I'm driving it has a very odd and cringing type ring.

Any advice would be helpful!

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
Are you trying to make calls using the Onstar minutes or your cell phone? I use Bluetooth with my volt and iPhone all the time. The ring tone is configure in the phone. I have different ringtones for each family member, and can set the ringtone for general calls. I use Siri I lieu of any speed dial buttons.

When I had Onstar minutes I tried to place a call once by pressing the phone voice command button on the steering wheel. It took me forever to speak the number in such a way that the volt understood. After that one call, I let my 100 minutes expire without renewing. Biggest wast of 10 bucks. I should have never jumped in on that "deal"

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hello
If you are NOT using onstar for phone calls, you should be able to bring your numbers up on the center console screen for a quick pick at who you want to call AND you can do voice recognition dialing. With the voice rec. you have to say each name individually, so I have only done this for my top 6 or 8 numbers. On MY2012, the list loaded automatically when I paired the phone to the Volt.
On incoming, MYVOLT tells me who is calling (if it's on my directory list).
Take care and Happy EVing with your 'new' 2012

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply!

I am not using Onstar at all.

After I've paired by iphone 6 via bluetooth, the only options under call log is 1) Incoming 2) Outgoing 3) Missed. I feel like it's missing an option for Favorites. How do you guys make a favorite call? It sounds like you guys are using your actual phone and not the center console.

Also, I can change the ringtone on my phone to whatever I want but the ringtone through the car speakers is still a generic ring tone that sounds pretty bad. I'm looking to see if I can change that I don't see any options for it.

Could it be I need a software update?

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

I am not using Onstar at all.

After I've paired by iphone 6 via bluetooth, the only options under call log is 1) Incoming 2) Outgoing 3) Missed. I feel like it's missing an option for Favorites. How do you guys make a favorite call? It sounds like you guys are using your actual phone and not the center console.

Also, I can change the ringtone on my phone to whatever I want but the ringtone through the car speakers is still a generic ring tone that sounds pretty bad. I'm looking to see if I can change that I don't see any options for it.

Could it be I need a software update?
Rather than fumbling through all the buttons and menus on the center console, just press and hold the phone's home button and say "call my wife/my daughter/the butcher/my accountant" and let Siri to all the work. It works well through the car's audio system.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rather than fumbling through all the buttons and menus on the center console, just press and hold the phone's home button and say "call my wife/my daughter/the butcher/my accountant" and let Siri to all the work. It works well through the car's audio system.
Yea that's a good option, thanks! Are you able to change the ringtone through the car speakers?

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
Yea that's a good option, thanks! Are you able to change the ringtone through the car speakers?
Yes, just change the ringtone on your phone under settings->sounds (iOS). In fact you can assign every person in your contacts list a different ringtone if you like (in contacts). There's nothing to change on the volt to do this, just pair it withnbluetooth and whatever normally goes through the iPhone earbuds now goes to the car.

·
Registered
330 Posts
On the 2012 you have to program the favorites into the car. It doesn't directly use the iPhone contact list unless you go through a lengthy voice command sequence which is too cumbersome for your most common calls. AFAIK it doesn't support custom ringtones because I have some on the iPhone but I get just a generic ring in the car.

·
Registered
13,562 Posts
Plus, you might even be able to get to Siri by pressing and holding the talk button on the steering wheel. I recall 2014 models onward having that feature, alas mine is a 2013 so I have to push my home button on the phone. But I hand the phone off the CD slot (covers the volume know, but the steering wheel has volume up down buttons so I don't miss it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have an android phone, and all my contacts and phone numbers were copied by MYVOLT when I paired it. I do use 1) the center stack, 2)the call button on the steering wheel and say a name or 3)the phone. If it's a regular that I call - I say the name, less regular call - center stack and on those rare call occasions - the phone.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
On the 2012 you have to program the favorites into the car. It doesn't directly use the iPhone contact list unless you go through a lengthy voice command sequence which is too cumbersome for your most common calls. AFAIK it doesn't support custom ringtones because I have some on the iPhone but I get just a generic ring in the car.
Thanks Davemac, that is exactly the issue I'm running into. How do you program your favorites in? I don't see any option to do so, under phone settings/call log I only see Incoming/Outgoing/Missed.

Good to know about the ringtone, I didn't see a way to change it. Thanks for your input!

Edit: After reading all the posts, I do have my contacts in the center console from my phone but I'd have to scroll through all of them to find my most common. I'd assumed there would be another tab that would list all of my favorites but it doesn't exist on the 2012. Looks like the fastest way is to use Sire to call.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts