GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post in these forums, but I've been getting information about Chevy Volts for some time.

I'm in the process of getting a used 2014/2015 Volt or a new 2017 Volt. I'm getting the Volt within 5 weeks and I've been researching both G1 and G2 Volts.

The G1 Volt seems to have been a very reliable car, at least judging from long-term reviews by journalists and G1 owners on this site.

The G2 Volt is certainly a major improvement over the G1 in many areas. But given that G2 has been mostly re-designed, I'm concerned about the reliability on a new car design. Even as the G2 is considered an evolution over the G1, I consider it a new product and as such its engineering or parts selection may have not been ironed out yet.

I have read a few threads on these forums about G2 Volts breaking down while driving and asking the driver to put the car in park.

Chevy seems to be doing a great job at servicing the G2 Volts, but if these are design or parts issues, it may take until 2018 models for Chevy to fix these problems.

What are your thoughts about reliability between G1 and G2 Volts?

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
From what I've seen, the 2011-12 G1s had the fewest problems out of any model year.
I wouldn't be concerned about a new design. The problems that we have seen seem to just be the odd defective part. That can happen regardless of how long the design has been out.

·
Registered
68 Posts
No problem with reliability in my G2 so far. But IMHO G2 is a game changer with 50+ miles of battery (I get 60+) and no discernable engine noise.

ChuckJ

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Agree with adric22. Too soon to tell.

Suggest you consider at least the following...
--there are great deals on leftover/pre-owned g1s.
--how far is your daily commute?
--can you charge at work?
--in which do you find the seating more comfortable?
--you may find the rear visibility more limiting in the g2.
--over its lifetime how much gas might you have buy with a g1 vs a g2?
--if you want to wait a few years to assess g2 reliability, a depreciated g1 would make a great place holder.

I went through a similar process before trading my 2012 for a leftover 2015 rather than a g2.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide and why.

KNS

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
It is really too early to tell. It takes a good year or two to really know if a vehicle is reliable.
x2

Gen 1 is very reliable indeed. I spent a good deal of time researching before buying my 2012 last November.
Pull the trigger, used Gen 1 cars are a GREAT value.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Typically the best reliability occurs before a major change, so 2015 should be the most reliable and 2011 & 2016 the worst... in theory.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
--there are great deals on leftover/pre-owned g1s.
--how far is your daily commute?
--can you charge at work?
--in which do you find the seating more comfortable?
--you may find the rear visibility more limiting in the g2.
--over its lifetime how much gas might you have buy with a g1 vs a g2?
--if you want to wait a few years to assess g2 reliability, a depreciated g1 would make a great place holder.
My longest commute will be 18 miles each way, so I would have enough charge for a round trip on the G2. On the G1, I would have to charge at work if I want to use electric power only.

I started to consider a G1 first because they deals look really good. But when you consider $7500 federal incentive + $2000 NY incentive + educator incentive (I don't know the $ yet) + other tax deductions since the Volt will be used for work, the price of a new one starts to approach the price of a used one.

I can charge at work, but I'm not sure if they have a L2 charger.

I test-drove the G2 a week ago and it's a fantastic car. I usually rent a Cadillac ATS and the G2 Volt feels more comfortable to me. The ATS seems to have a more lively steering response though, but it's hard to tell for sure since I drove the Volt for about 10 minutes.

I did notice the visibility issue. I'm not sure how much I would be able to see of a Corvette right behind me.

I thought of leasing a Volt and then move to the Bolt after it's on the market for a few years.

I much prefer the looks of the G1 Volt. The G2 design looks and feels convoluted, particularly inside. I friend of mine, who's been on the G1 before, thinks the G2 back seat space feels smaller. I like the fact that the G1 is a distinct design, away from any other Chevy car or any other brand. The G2 Volt pretty much uses the Chevy Cruz surface language, which may make the Volt look cheaper to some.

Although, I have to say that having buttons on the console is much easier to use, particularly while driving.

Thank you all for your answers.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Gen 1 is an awesome value, especially since Gen 1 still has better range than other comparable cars (except Gen 2!). However, unless you can find a new '15 sitting on a dealer's lot somewhere (which would be a great deal), it's tough to compare a brand new car with a used--and all it's possible unknown problems. The one consolation is the exceptionally long battery warranty. My only hesitancy with buying used is that the tax credit is a game changer for the value proposition.

Also, you can't really trust Carfax and similar services to reveal a full repair history. I've looked up vehicles that I know where in accidents and part of insurance claims that had a "clean" carfax.

It's up to you in the end, but if the difference is just a few thousand between a used Gen 1 and new Gen 2, I think it's worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
My longest commute will be 18 miles each way, so I would have enough charge for a round trip on the G2. On the G1, I would have to charge at work if I want to use electric power only.

I started to consider a G1 first because they deals look really good. But when you consider $7500 federal incentive + $2000 NY incentive + educator incentive (I don't know the $ yet) + other tax deductions since the Volt will be used for work, the price of a new one starts to approach the price of a used one. I can charge at work, but I'm not sure if they have a L2 charger.
I routinely get close to 50 miles AER in my 2015 during mild weather and close to 40 during what passes for winter in NJ.

"Used for work" or to commute to work? The IRS has rather tight restrictions on if/when the cost of commuting may be deducted from income.

I thought of leasing a Volt and then move to the Bolt after it's on the market for a few years.
Purchasing rather than leasing provides the opportunity to move to a g2 or a Bolt EV when you are ready to do so rather than scrambling when the lease ends. If you have access to a credit union (you are an educator I believe) you might find that low interest rates make it easier to purchase than to lease.

KNS

·
Registered
968 Posts
I started to consider a G1 first because they deals look really good. But when you consider $7500 federal incentive + $2000 NY incentive + educator incentive (I don't know the $ yet) + other tax deductions since the Volt will be used for work, the price of a new one starts to approach the price of a used one.

I much prefer the looks of the G1 Volt. The G2 design looks and feels convoluted, particularly inside. I friend of mine, who's been on the G1 before, thinks the G2 back seat space feels smaller. I like the fact that the G1 is a distinct design, away from any other Chevy car or any other brand. The G2 Volt pretty much uses the Chevy Cruz surface language, which may make the Volt look cheaper to some.
A quick search in NY area, I quickly found a handful of 2015 Volts siting on dealer lots, so if you bought one of those new volts, you could still claim all the incentives that your looking for. And since you like the looks of the G1 better and your commute fits the G1 just fine then it seems like a no brainer. One thing I did notice was that many are still listing near MSRP 35k-39k but I guarantee you can negotiate and knock down a big chunk of that especially with G2 now much more available and with more EV range. Use that info as negotiating leverage. Good luck.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I regularly get over 40 miles range in my G1 (2015). I think you might be able to pull off your commute on electricity alone, depending on terrain and temperature, of course. I bought one of the last 2015's in CA and I couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Gen 1 is an awesome value, especially since Gen 1 still has better range than other comparable cars (except Gen 2!). However, unless you can find a new '15 sitting on a dealer's lot somewhere (which would be a great deal), it's tough to compare a brand new car with a used--and all it's possible unknown problems. The one consolation is the exceptionally long battery warranty. My only hesitancy with buying used is that the tax credit is a game changer for the value proposition.

Also, you can't really trust Carfax and similar services to reveal a full repair history. I've looked up vehicles that I know where in accidents and part of insurance claims that had a "clean" carfax.

It's up to you in the end, but if the difference is just a few thousand between a used Gen 1 and new Gen 2, I think it's worth the upgrade.
The Carfax thing is definitely correct. My previous Volt, a 2012, had $7k worth of undercar damage, and nearly $10k worth of hail damage, including a replaced rood and hood, amongst other things. And Carfax specifically stated there were no accidents or hail damage. So I wouldn't trust Carfax at all.

·
Registered
716 Posts
With your 36 mile round-trip commute, the G1 will be all-electric in summer, but will require a gasoline assist in winter (as you are in NY). Not to mention, you might find yourself reluctant to use the heat and defrosters. If you get a G2, you will probably be all-electric year-round, with enough margin that you'd be comfortable using heater, defrosters, etc without hesitation.

That said, my 2016 definitely has more niggling problems than the G1. My 2012 was flawless right off the line.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Got an internet invite to shop for a new '15 just yesterday. They are out there. My leased '13 was near-perfect, but so is my Gen 2. Chevy is pretty good about not releasing a new model until it is tested and ready, it seems. Oh, avoid leasing.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Gen I was likely overbuilt because GM engineering wasn't sure what would fail. So belt and suspenders. Gen II likely has cuts where engineering thinks cuts can be made.

I have a Gen I but I'd definitely get a Gen II. The range is awesome and the safety features more advanced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I really appreciate the engineering progress that went from the G1 to G2 Volt. The fact that no other car manufacturer has come close to copy the Volt formula speaks volumes. I wish Chevy had kept the Volt with its own surface design language. The risk of this is the Volt turning into its own brand, which probably doesn't play well with Chevy's overall brand strategy.

My wife is adamant about getting a car with a fifth seat, so I'm inclined to toward the G2 Volt. Although the G2 Volt fifth seat is more of a padded battery cover than a real seat. But I guess it'll do once or twice a year when we need it.

As with any new design with new parts, it's really difficult not to have faulty parts during the first two years. If I could, I would wait for the 2018 model, but I'll need a car soon. Hopefully, the early G2 will be more reliable that the early G1.

I got a quote from a local dealer to lease a 2017 Volt for 36 months for $386. This certainly seems that he's not transferring all the tax incentives into the lease. I can spec the same car from chevrolet.com and get a lower lease. He said he's forwarding all the tax incentives into the lease, but the quote says a different story.

It think it'll make sense to buy since I'll be in charge of applying for the tax incentives.

Thanks for all the advice so far. It's been really helpful.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts