GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I dont know what to do.It initializes and has 3 codes theft detterrant and hood open door open.
Check engine light is on.The yellow engine block.Any help will appreciate.its a 2014 74000 miles.I replaced battery battery shows 12 V.Takes about 20 + seconds to initialize. Tried putting it on HOLD mode to get engine running,no luck,Took it to Pensky Chevy Cerritos CA. They Want me to authorize 700$ to touch it.I asked them Why they said it the charge module and some other electrical problems.I asked them if they could insert the plug into charge port to check if it can be charged,they did not do that.Last I recall I was charging it the battery showed 40 miles charge the green light started blinking I removed the charge cable and tried to drive, it did not start.I thought my 12 v battery may be week so I left it initiallised so that the battery may get charged,since my main battery had 40 miles worth of charge.
While I was doing that I also decided to plug the charge cable back so that I could keep my main battery fully charged.
It didnt charge,the light on dash should turn green or orange depending upon if the car is initiallised or not.It remained Black,I tried to switch off and unplug ,again plugging it back this time it turned orange.but then it turned black again.
I noticed that display showed --- MILES OF CHARGE.Instead of 40 miles.
Right now its back home I am still contemplating to tow it to a charge station my home charger died a while ago,and plug it in may be it will start recharging
I will try all of the suggestion here I really appreciate feed back and support,I am thankful to all of you.
If you have any more ideas please share with me.I am thinking it should be covered as I understand its 100000 miles or 8 years for electrical battery motor and related modules.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
How many volts does the 12v battery read?

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
open and DROP the hood - that may get the switch to close -- do not push down or try closing it slow

but a bad 12 volt battery can give a lot of bogus codes.

try a jump start from the terminal in the front ( which may still give a hood open error/light)

·
Registered
610 Posts
I would expect that if the car was left with an open hood, the 12V battery may have drained and led to this.

When the hood is open, the main battery disconnects and the engine tries to start. If the 12V battery is dead, you'll be left with a disconnected main and a no-start engine.

This is why the recommendations to close the hood properly and (if that fails to resolve the issue) jump the car per the special instructions in the owners manual should work.

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
I would expect that if the car was left with an open hood, the 12V battery may have drained and led to this.

When the hood is open, the main battery disconnects and the engine tries to start. If the 12V battery is dead, you'll be left with a disconnected main and a no-start engine.

This is why the recommendations to close the hood properly and (if that fails to resolve the issue) jump the car per the special instructions in the owners manual should work.
The 12V AGM battery plays no role in starting the Volt's ICE beyond booting up the Volt's 12V systems and computer. The Volt does not have a 12V starter motor like a conventional vehicle. The only means of starting the Volt's ICE is for power from the high voltage battery to flow to MGA while MGA is engaged to the ICE through planetary gear set A. The Volt's 4 cylinder engine then cranks as torque is applied from MGA as easily as if it were a child's top. Once the ICE starts and has sufficiently warmed the ICE is connected to the front wheels as well as to MGA; MGA sends power to MGB and any excess power goes to the lithium battery.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Valid suggestions from all, but why do I feel that this is one more one-and-done poster, who we'll never hear from again? No background provided (model year, mileage, previous issues). No response to any of the replies. The car is probably at the dealer by now, and the poster will never check this thread. May I respectfully suggest that, if a newbie posts this kind of thing, we stop guessing at solutions after 24 hours? Unless they actually engage, of course. At this point, what's the chance that will happen?

·
Administrator
20,591 Posts
None of the basics (year, miles, any previous issues) were given by the OP.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
I would say that by now he solved the problem.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
that's ok- all the good information goes to the big duckduckgo in the sky.

ONLY first posters that use the word RANGE go to GOOGLE.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
While I am still running around to get my car working I think I should also share with every one that the trunk does not open nor it has a lock or a trunk opener inside the drivers seat like other cars have. Thats my suggestion but I think GM are now discontinuing volts and hybrids. They are going all electric 19 new models are comming out by 2022.No hybrids.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am also thinking that the MGA may be powered by the main battery and if the computer has been reset and shows --- Miles of charge MGA will never turn ICE. Unless the main display shows 0 miles or 1 mile instead of --- MILES MGA will not turn the engine. Also the main motor is not responding due to the same reason .
What do you think ?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Kaleem ... as stated before, you need to provide more information for the engineer brains on this forum that can help answer your questions if they have the necessary information: Year, current mileage, model (LT or Premier), did you buy the car new/used/salvage title? These are all key points that could help people resolve your issue. You may also want to check your owner's manual, or look at one online, to see the process for starting the vehicle when the key fob might be dead. Just a suggestion ...

It's like you're asking for help making an omlette, but not telling anyone if you even have all the ingredients to do so.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
FYI, Kaleem has now added a lot of information to the first post.

Kaleem, tell us more accurately what your 12v battery voltage is. 12.0 or 12.6, for instance? And exactly how you measured it and under what conditions, like at the battery terminals with car off, etc. Did you replace the battery with a brand new fully charged AGM type?

Can you try jump starting the car from another vehicle?

·
Registered
241 Posts
FYI, Kaleem has now added a lot of information to the first post.
Of course he did... Because I let my inner cynic go public.
Kaleem,
Welcome to the forum! Stay engaged-- there are a lot of smart folks here (obviously, I'm not one of them!) willing to help.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
While I am still running around to get my car working I think I should also share with every one that the trunk does not open nor it has a lock or a trunk opener inside the drivers seat like other cars have. Thats my suggestion but I think GM are now discontinuing volts and hybrids. They are going all electric 19 new models are comming out by 2022.No hybrids.
Exactly how is somebody going to get trapped in the back of Chevrolet Volt? That's what emergency manual releases do. They keep you from being trapped in a car. If it's any consolation, I believe Teslas have no emergency release for the back doors, you must climb over the front seat.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
^Kaleem, there is a trunk release from the inside of the cargo compartment. It is on the hatch lid near the latch and hidden by a small removable plastic door. You need a suitable tool to release the latch. It is described in the owner's manual.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts