GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Voting is now closed. Chevy Volt leaves Audi, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Infiniti in the dust.

#1 Chevy Volt (64%), #2 Audi A7 (24%), #3 Mercedes-Benz CLS550 (6%), #4 & #5 (tie) BMW X3 and Infiniti M Hybrid (both 3%).

"The Chevy Volt came in too late to be included in last year's Tech Car of the Year contest, but it comes on strong this year with the most innovative power train of our 2011 nominees. Driving the front wheels with an electric motor, the Volt relies on a battery pack with stored electricity and a gas engine acting as an electricity generator.
But the Volt's innovations don't stop at the drivetrain. Chevy fitted the cabin with plenty of technology as well. Through an OnStar app, owners can set charging times remotely. The center stack uses touch buttons, which seems like something from a concept car. The Volt may have faced a year of criticism, but most owners seem quite happy."

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-57337778-48/vote-for-the-2011-tech-car-of-the-year/

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Not surprising the volt won Tech Car of the year.. it deserves it.

(Also nice to know that the 100+ votes I cast were not really a tie breaker. I was surprised by the AUDI early lead so figured someone might be stuffing the box and since its a technology contest just used a bit of tech to add a few views.)

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
They forgot the "Mission Impossible" battery sourced self destruct command!
That command won't work. The Volt battery self destructed after a few weeks. The "Mission Impossible" self destruct has to occur after a few seconds. The enemy will get its hands on the Volt's secrets! Maybe the Audi self-accelerating or the Toyota brake failure can qualify as a "self destruct" command.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Reading some of the "knucklehead" replies on that page is quite funny. There are a few Volt owners that spoke up well (+!+)

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got asked at a party last night. "I heard that if it over heats, it catches fire"
This from a bright engineer type.

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got asked at a party last night. "I heard that if it over heats, it catches fire"
Use Top_Speed1's reply, "You didn't park anywhere near me, did you?" :)

·
Registered
484 Posts
(Also nice to know that the 100+ votes I cast were not really a tie breaker. I was surprised by the AUDI early lead so figured someone might be stuffing the box and since its a technology contest just used a bit of tech to add a few views.)
Just to be clear, this doesn't look like the final article announcing the award, just the same poll page as before. They should write another article soon with the "official" announcement. I hope not too many people voted like tboult, or else they might disqualify enough votes to make another car the winner!

·
Registered
923 Posts

Well, he is sorta right.........if you leave it for three weeks without draining the energy and the leaking coolant is left to interact with the energy cells, they might overheat and catch fire..........an Engineer should really explain himself.

·
Administrator
20,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts