GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Actually, I come here today to ask what are the opinions between both Volts ? I own a 2015 Volt with 71000 miles on it and I have to say I'm very happy with it.
Now, my local Chevy dealer keep sending me this letter saying they want to buy my volt for $13000 :)rolleyes:) and they will give me some serious incentives to get another newer chevy for a fraction of the cost ....
I was thinking going for it and therefore get the newer Volt.
What do you all think about the 2nd gen Volt ? Is it as reliable as the 1st gen ?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
448 Posts
Personally, I've had a lot more problems with my Gen2 than my Gen1. The only issue I've had with the Gen1 was water getting into one of the taillights, and rusty screws on the stand-off bumpers inside the hatch (which I replaced with stainless steel).

With my Gen2, I've had a bad emissions sensor, the shifter (shift to park), sway bar link, a broken shifter cable, and now it's in the shop for what is likely to be a BECM replacement.

All that said, I like the tech and interior of my Gen2 much better, with the exception of the leather seats which were better on the Gen1. If I was in your place and my Gen1 was reliable, I'd keep it for another 2-5 years, and then buy something current production. There will be a lot more choices in a couple years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I thought when I read all the issues with the Gen2. So I guess I'll keep my Gen1 for a while lol It's been reliable since the purchase 2 and 1/2 years ago (beside the knock noise coming from the left front wheel which was the too small bolt from factory. I replaced both bolts myself, didn't cost me much)

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is very helpful. I too have a 2015 Volt with just over 71K miles that I purchased earlier this year, and have felt Volt-envy from reading about and now seeing Gen2 volts everywhere (I'm in California). I want to love the Chevy Bolt, but in my test drives it has felt zippy but not as comfortable as my Gen1 Volt. With the EUV, Mach-E, and GM's Ultium powered vehicles coming, I think 2022/3 look to be good years for purchasing a replacement.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had a Premier 2013 Volt and kept it for 108K miles with only one major problem, a HVAC valve replacement for $2k, it got 40-45 miles of electric range. I loved that car. I bought 2018 Volt LT that had 19K miles on it. Have put ~12k on in a year. I get 65-70 miles electric range, mostly on local streets, I buy almost know gas. I love the car as well as the 2013 except for the radio and lack of navigation (cell phone for navigation is adequate). Have had no problem so far with the 2018. If you can find a low mileage gen2, buy it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sebvegas,

I think you will get polarized advice on the 2016+ Volt reliability based on an owner's personal experience. Some have had no issues but some have had a few problems with transaxle and other failures, most are covered completely under warranty. I just had my 2017 transaxle with 44k miles fail last week! it is at a Chevy dealer getting fixed, a free loaner car was provided and all repairs were said to be covered under the "Voltec" warranty, other folks have experienced that too. The failure is annoying but can't complain about the car and in fact I love it, plan to keep it for as long as possible. If buying new, recommend searching for the best price in your state or nearby state and bring a quote of the car with the options that you requested in the quote to the dealer to negotiate a deal if you're in the market for a new car. Then at the last minute whip out the trade in offer. Keep us posted about you're decision and experience.

Stephen

Hi everyone,

Actually, I come here today to ask what are the opinions between both Volts ? I own a 2015 Volt with 71000 miles on it and I have to say I'm very happy with it.
Now, my local Chevy dealer keep sending me this letter saying they want to buy my volt for $13000 :)rolleyes:) and they will give me some serious incentives to get another newer chevy for a fraction of the cost ....
What do you all think about the 2nd gen Volt ? Is it as reliable as the 1st gen ?

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
When the Gen 2 came out I looked like an improvement overall, but not enough to trade my Gen 1. Now when I get those offer, I respond with they don't offer anything equivalent to the Volt or an awd suv with similar tech.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Gen1 was designed, engineered, and built with an open checkbook...Mr Bob Lutz demanded this from the GM board, after he convinced them to beat the Japneese at the hybrid game, and show that EV start-up company in California that GM had engineering muscle...The Gen 1 was overbuilt...it really should have had a Cadillac badge on it so they could recover their development costs with higher price points. (the ELR tried, but had few takers at $75G) The Gen 2 was engineered with costs at the forefront, still remarkable engineering (140 lbs lighter!), but many corners cut to reduce costs.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Having owned both a Gen 1 and a Gen 2, both cars are excellent. Bought the 2011 when it had over 70,000 miles on it, drove it for 5 years and gave to my son. Only real problem was the "servive high voltage system" problem. 100% covered under warranty, it was the sensor which is a well known problem, coolant level was fine. He still drives it every day.
Bought the 2018 one year ago with about 22,000 miles on it, just over 33,000 miles now with zero problems. I prefer the Gen 2 only because of the safety features, blind spot, rear cross traffic, stuff like that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I own both Gen 1 and Gen 2, Both are great cars but I prefer Gen 2 because it's faster, lower generator sound, and higher EV range.
I highly recommend upgrading to Gen 2.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
462 Posts
We went from a new 2013 Premium Volt to a low miles (14k) 2018 Premier. Both are good cars, but hands down the Gen 2 is our favorite. There are many improvements that were suggested to Chevrolet and they listened. The net result is that the overall driving experience improvements are exceptional. There too many to list but ACC, much better freeway acceleration, the quieter motor, improved range, improved fuel economy, less wind buffeting with the front windows open, conventional hvac controls, etc. all add up to a much nicer user experience.

FWIW, our first year with the Gen 1 was not fun. It was in the dealers 6 times for warranty defects. We were one visit away from the lemon law. The dealer finally called in a factory tech and after that it was good. Our Gen 2 so far has been flawless.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 2012 Volt was my favorite car (amongst Mazda 13B RX7, Lincoln Mark VIII, Toyota Celica, 2004 Prius, Camry Hybrid, and others since the 60s.)
I lost it in an accident in 2015 and took a swapalease on a Mercedes B-Class EV. From there I bought 2017 Gen-2 Volt and leased a 2017 Bolt.
Never had a problem in 30 years. Although I loved the Gen-1 Volt, the 2017 improved everything about it. except... They took away the feeling of a space-ship and replaced it with the feeling of a sports-car. Gen-2 Volt is my best car to date although didn't generate as much excitement as being the 6th person in my State to own a Prius (now just another "me-too" car.) All things considered, you'd love the Gen-2 Volt. The license plate on my Bolt already reads "Y TESLA".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've owned both. IMHO, the absolute best option (theoretically) would have been a Gen2 Voltec unit shoe-horned into a Gen1! Other than that, the Gen1 was a hands-down better, quality-built/over-engineered, quiet, solid car. The Gen 2 is a different platform, and basically a cheap, cheap, rattly, hollow, noisy consumer-level car. Ugh.

Everything I've touched, compared to the Gen1 (from light bulbs to door panels, fasteners and wiring) was below Gen1 par. I've owned and worked on (mid-to-luxury) German and some Japanese brands and the Gen1 was every bit as good, or better put-together, with quality components -- but not the Gen2, sadly. I expected improvements with the Gen2, but it was the other way around. The Gen1 was my first GM car and I was really impressed. The Gen2 took me back to disdain for GM, I'm sad to say.

But I must say, I do like the lighter, better-performance Voltec unit, even though it has an audible golf-cart-like electric whine. (I disconnected the noise-maker speakers.)

Reliability, you ask? I can't really say. I've only had my 2019 Gen2 for a year and it has less than 8K. No problems. (The hose-abrasion recall was already done at the factory.)

Good luck. Let us know what you end up doing..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your input.
overall, it seems the gen 1 is more reliable. Mine is getting close to 72000 miles and right now I drive it about 100 miles per day. So I think I’ll keep it since I really don’t think I’d be able to sell it for a good price.
when it’ll die, I’ll probably get the gen2 or the new EV from GM in a few years from now :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AAAAHHHH ! I just jinxed myself ! going to work and the driver's side window won't go up anymore ! I can hear the motor running but it seems the window went out of the rail or something ... Damn it ! Any advice on that issue ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
AAAAHHHH ! I just jinxed myself ! going to work and the driver's side window won't go up anymore ! I can hear the motor running but it seems the window went out of the rail or something ... Damn it ! Any advice on that issue ?
Replace the window regulator. I have had to do it twice now on the drivers door of my 2013.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I ordered the Dorman regulator w/ motor and obviously it is lifetime guaranteed so I should be good for a while lol Meanwhile I have to figure out a way to get the window back up since I don't want anyone to visit the interior of the car.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

It will be fun to go to the drive ins like that lol
Jokes aside, I wanna mention it was really easy to take the door panel off, it took me 25 minutes to do the first part of this job. Everything is actually very well engineered in there. This will be my 3rd window motor replacement (1 on a S2000 and the other on a trans am) and that one really surprised me in a good way compared to the others :)
Can't wait to receive the new part and be done with it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I loved my 2012 Gen 1 premium and drove it four years which I bought used in 2015. Traded it for a used 2017 premier last year. Yes, the gen 2 interior quality is not up to the same standard as the gen 1. Noises coming from the door panels, etc. But the gen 2 has so many improvements over the gen 1: Longer battery range, more miles per KWH, better pickup, no need for high-test gas, nicer-looking exterior (IMO), better handling, and many more safety features available (confidence packages 1 & 2). I plan on pulling the door panels and doing some anti-vibration fixes because I plan on keeping this car a long time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok so I finally replaced the window regulator, once again, super easy job, it took me roughly 30 mins taking my time. I still can’t believe how much the dealer will charge you for that, what a ripoff.
anyway, now, I have another issue (which I’m sure it’s not really) when I exit the car, it used to lock itself after a few seconds or if I pressed any of the door buttons. Now that feature doesn’t work anymore. Do you guys know how to activate it ? I went through the car setting on the infotainment but still no luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts