GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chevy or the dealership standing behind the lemon would be nice.
Issues
1. Every time it gets cold the car acts up.
2. Dealership does not enter the service into Chevy's database, so when you call you "volt adviser" they have no record of you car being worked on.
3. Even when they pull the service light codes and also get the codes from On-star they can't find a problem. Just told to bring it back when it acts up again and again.
4. The volt adviser just test you to turn it off and restart the car until the problem goes away.
5. Service engine light comes on and on-star pulls the code, tells you to take it to the dealership as soon as possible but the dealership can't get you in, but you are told you can drive it to another shop 70 miles away.
6. Told my cord was the reason my car did not charge and billed ($$$) for a new cord. Gave my old cord to a friend and he has used it for the last year without any problem and I still have issues with the new one.

Is the worst car I ever owned.

·
2,356 Posts
So to clarify, it sounds like the problem you're having is that the car won't charge when it's cold?

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
From the little information you've provided it sounds like you have a problem charging. Probably related to your line voltage or your outlet. In this case the car would stop charging and throw an error code which basically says there was a charging problem. No issue with driving the car and the code will clear on its own after a few charging cycles.

More information would either rule this theory in or out.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Have you tried charging anywhere besides your house? Does it charge fine at the dealership?

·
Registered
335 Posts
To me, it seems clear that you have had very poor dealer service. Don't blame GM or the car. If OnStar was able to pull codes, they should have been able to tell you what the codes mean. The dealer should also have been able to read the codes and repair the car, if in fact the car was the problem. The fact that the service doesn't show up in the GM database makes me think that the dealer knows that it isn't. I am inclined to agree with DonC, that the line voltage or outlet at your house is the problem.

If the cord was the problem (it wasn't, obviously), why wasn't it covered under the warranty?

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Welcome to gm-volt.com
What exactly are the DTCs that have been set? (those should be on your copies of the repair order)
Without that nobody here can be of much help (other than moral support that is)
I can assure you they ARE informing GM of what they found or did. Otherwise they don't get paid.

Also please keep in mind this site has no affiliation with GM or Chevrolet.
Just a bunch of people who drive (and for the most part love) the Volt

Let us know the DTCs if you can and we can give you some guidance in possibly helping to isolate the fault/s and dealing with your dealer service dept

WopOnTour

·
Registered
521 Posts
jxlang, from reading your other two posts, it appears you have had the car for 2 yrs now? And that being able to charge is the ONLY problem you have had?

I have had my Volt just over 2yrs, and have had a pretty good experience with my dealer in Frisco, TX. If you are in OK, maybe a trip across the state line is required to get a decent dealer service department.. (one bad independently owned service center shouldn't be used as a baseline for thousands across the country). Sorry about your experience.

Please be aware that not all outlets are wired equal. The dealer wouldn't have charged you for a replacement, if they had the broken one to send back to GM, because they would have made money on the factory warranty re-imbursement (part+labor). You ending up with two of them is... odd.

Maybe your electrical service, or the outlet itself. I had flawless charging at my previous house in Plano, but my new (1926) house will stop charging on 120V about once every two weeks. I put a UPS with monitoring on the line and I am running 126V most days, and peaks up to 138VAC have been logged. Are you in an older neighborhood? I expect my EVSE is trying to protect the car - which it is absolutely designed to do. I'll have an L2 up this month which should be able to handle the spikes better. Get an electrician out to verify your source and let us know?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
If you look at the OP past postings ( 2 ), which were almost exactly one year ago, its hard to understand why an actual owner would have similar complaints a year ago, no posting for a year and then this ... while anything is possible, its more than likely a troll account

·
Registered
249 Posts
Exactly! I got suspicious when he said they charged him for a new cord. I just got a whole new EVSE when I had a charging problem and it was covered under the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty. Something smells fishy in Big Cabin Oklahoma.

FWIW, I do think that the charge handle is a bad set up. It hangs out like a gas pump handle and therefore can get bumped by kids in the garage or passersby in a parking lot while charging. Seeing this as a possibility the first night we brought our Volt home, I moved the Volt to the far side of the garage to avoid people walking by. But the problem is still there in parking lots at chargers.

The charging handle needs to be relocated like that BMW one on top of the hood by the drivers side and/or a new handle that is flush with the body instead of protruding so much needs to be made

·
Registered
249 Posts
The Original poster MUST be a troll

I read his previous posts. He never responds to others and their offers to help. Just click his name, and read the threads yourself.

After two years, I finally had a problem that needed to be fixed. Thankfully the warranty covered it but it's a problem that will still be a problem long after the warranty doesnt cover it. The Charge Plug handle is not a good design. It sticks out too far. Chevy is going to have tons of Warrantee claims thanks to this.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Another possibility is that during cold periods the voltage drops due to increased higher loads and/or less production. In this case the problem would show up at about the same time each year and then disappear.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Another possibility is that during cold periods the voltage drops due to increased higher loads and/or less production. In this case the problem would show up at about the same time each year and then disappear.
Yup, I remember arriving to work one night at the plant and in our tech shop there was a voltmeter plugged into a 240vac outlet. The voltage at the time was already low and I was told by the outgoing shift that the power company had requested that we start shutting down equipment if the voltage dropped below a certain threshold. It was due to high residential heating demand in the cold overnight hours.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Its very unusual for winter to have low line voltages, its typically it's summer as increases line resistance due to heating which has larger voltage drops. When the last time you heard of a request to turn off loads in the winter, now think summer and all the times in CA when they are urging people to back off usage as the lines overheat and sag ...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That was the first thought, but I use different outlets with work and home. Also have another volt that uses the same outlet as i do at work without any issue. Other issues include blue tooth not working when it was cold, Volt adviser solution keep turning car off and on till problem goes away (that issue cleared up once it hit 40 degrees). Propulsion system error codes when it gets cold, once again goes away when it warms up again. Seat sensors needing to be replaced. My favorite was the charge door actuator being week and throwing a code and the best part is the car will not charge till the actuator was replaced (was told this is by design same as the seat sensors). The problem with the idea that the code will clear after a few charging cycles is that with many of the codes the car will not charge.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
not a troll the last time i posted was when i spent the day at the dealership and was just wore out with the problems. have tried many things including charging at different locations and even trading cords with another volt owner.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that could be but that does not explain why another volt can use the same outlet without any issue (may not have stated but there are 2 of us volt owners that work here and we swap outlets all the time and he doesn't have the issues).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
that could be but that does not explain why another volt can use the same outlet without any issue (may not have stated but there are 2 of us volt owners that work here and we swap outlets all the time and he doesn't have the issues).

Also work at a power company and have had the outlets checked and rechecked. issue is not just here it is also at home, mother in laws and even at the dealership (they said it was the cord and charged me for a new cord but it never fixed the issue and a friend uses the old cord everyday without any issue).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another problem and yes this maybe more with the dealership but GM should enforce. the dealership does not enter all the services into the gm database (and gm says they have no control of this) so when you get with the volt adviser group they are missing huge chunks of history on the vehicle. They only seem to enter something into the db when they say they found the problem but when they say they can not recreate the issue and thus can not fix it nothing gets entered into the db. My problem is that even it they can not recreate the issue and thus can not promise the problem is fixed a entry needs to be made with the engine codes so there is a history. GM does not seem to think this is a issue or they would make sure dealerships followed this guide line.

Like i said this is a cold weather issue as when it gets cold the car acts up and when it warms up the problems go away. they problems are not always the same issue and the only consistent thing is when it has problems 99% of the time it is cold. So when you take the car in and they put it in the shop (heated) there is not a problem the same as when it acts up and i just wait till the temp goes up, the problems go away.

Look i work with computers and know that you have to be able to recreate a issue so that you can prove when you have fixed it and i know consistency is great when looking at a problem. And yes i used to work as a mechanic and would hate to have this car to work on. The problem is harder to solve when neither gm or the dealership is worried about trying to keep a history on the issues so that they have a chance to solve this. for gm a database is great but if people don't use it, they have not solved anything.

The problem is still the same I paid a lot of money for a car that works well in warm weather but sucks when it get cold. If i wanted something that was only for warm weather i would have bought another motorcycle and saved a lot of money.

·
Registered
417 Posts
OP-

I believe you.... thanks for posting more information.

And I can certainly believe there are BAD dealers out there that would do things, like skipping service visit entries. Have seen worse.

My only guess right now - could this be a GROUND issue? All of these electrical gremlins, that seem to go away briefly after a restart. Sounds like one or more grounds in the car are bad and the cold weather resulting in metal contraction (perhaps with some dampness or salt spray in the mix too?) makes it worse.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts