GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
This changes things for me. I have Verizon so there is an advantage to using the Volts AT&T LTE because it improves the chances that we can get coverage. We've already found places where AT&T has coverage and Verizon doesn't. This advantage is small so it's not worth a lot but it might be worth the $10 a month that they dropped the price to, it certainly wasn't worth $20. I just wish they had dropped the price of the annual plan because our data usage is going to vary depending on the time of year, i.e. a lot in the summer and very little in the winter.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I wonder if Canadian prices will follow suit...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I added the Volt to our AT&T family plan as another device which is $10/month. I'm not sure I will do this long term, but at the moment it is a lot more convenient than pulling over to make a phone hot spot for the kids. I also use it for my laptop, and it is much quicker to connect than setting up a phone hotspot. Thus convenient, but not really necessary in the era of smart phone shared networks. Anecdotally, the car seems to get better reception than my iPhone 6. I just wish it had some indication of signal strength somewhere. An interesting side note, AT&T shows the car's phone number on the bill, which actually has a local area code. AT&T thinks the car is an LG 440G phone on the bill.

I'm glad they lowered the prepay data charges. They were kind of absurd.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
This is something I might be tempted to add for a road trip. Still too expensive on a steady, monthly basis.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I wonder if Canadian prices will follow suit...
I'm guessing this wont come to Canada, since we get screwed with anything cell phone related because of the monopoly the big companies enjoy here.

Also kind of discouraging to read that you must have basic onstar service to add data as well. Not really an issue for those within their trial period, but it doesn't make sense why you should need onstar to add a data plan to a 'wireless device' which the car essentially is right now....just another way to force to to sign up for things you dont really need.

I'll stick with my $40/month wind mobile unlimited plan thanks much....wind does have spotty service areas in Canada, but I also have a work phone with rogers as a backup.....funny thing is that costs more than 2x what my personal cell on Wind costs and half of the labs in my workplace get zero service....and I can see a cell tower from my office's parking lot!...yay Rogers :|

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Also kind of discouraging to read that you must have basic onstar service to add data as well. Not really an issue for those within their trial period, but it doesn't make sense why you should need onstar to add a data plan to a 'wireless device' which the car essentially is right now....just another way to force to to sign up for things you dont really need.
Onstar Basic is the one that comes free for 5 years with new cars, and free for 3 on acquisition of an appropriate used car. All the Volts qualify.

·
Registered
478 Posts
... at the moment it is a lot more convenient than pulling over to make a phone hot spot for the kids. ... Thus convenient, but not really necessary in the era of smart phone shared networks.
Remember, the Volts' cellular antenna is larger than the one in your phone, and located in a better position. I have noticed on roadtrips that the car hotspot stays connected at LTE when phones are having trouble staying connected at all.

If you live in big sky country, that makes a difference.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Remember, the Volts' cellular antenna is larger than the one in your phone, and located in a better position. I have noticed on roadtrips that the car hotspot stays connected at LTE when phones are having trouble staying connected at all.

If you live in big sky country, that makes a difference.
From what I've read, the car's antenna signal is 5-6 times stronger than a cell phone's signal.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Still not worth it to us over using our smartphones which have copious data... And, as noted, they did not drop the annual plan, whch makes it of even less value... Clearly, GM has been feeling some resistance and is trying too lure in more subscribers...

This advantage is small so it's not worth a lot but it might be worth the $10 a month that they dropped the price to, it certainly wasn't worth $20.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My son can burn through 1GB of data an hours when he goes on an Octonauts binge.
I hear you !!! For me it was Ryan's Toy Review on the YouTube Kids app .... burned through my trial in little over a month and seemed to use more data than my cellphone for the similar stuff when I tested a few days worth of 'typical' use such as email, waze and nothing else fancy.

As mentioned above, costs in Canada are obscene for both cell service and for OnStar data ... and we dont seem to get any (most) of the Volt related offers ... but I do have a good data plan for my phone so until OnStar is attractive then tethering or cell data it is. Same principle with XM ... they keep offering me it for less than half price but with strings attached ... cut the strings and maybe I will bite, but the cancellation fees, automatic billing and 'possible setup fee' are instant showstoppers.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I added the Volt to our AT&T family plan as another device which is $10/month. I'm not sure I will do this long term, but at the moment it is a lot more convenient than pulling over to make a phone hot spot for the kids. I also use it for my laptop, and it is much quicker to connect than setting up a phone hotspot. Thus convenient, but not really necessary in the era of smart phone shared networks. Anecdotally, the car seems to get better reception than my iPhone 6. I just wish it had some indication of signal strength somewhere. An interesting side note, AT&T shows the car's phone number on the bill, which actually has a local area code. AT&T thinks the car is an LG 440G phone on the bill.

I'm glad they lowered the prepay data charges. They were kind of absurd.
Wish I could do this, but neither AT&T nor Onstar present me with any options other than their normal separate charges. I'd happily pay $10/month to have my car share my Family plan but I won't pay $10/month for a dedicated 1GB of data for the car, etc..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wish I could do this, but neither AT&T nor Onstar present me with any options other than their normal separate charges. I'd happily pay $10/month to have my car share my Family plan but I won't pay $10/month for a dedicated 1GB of data for the car, etc..
To get the car added to your family plan, the easiest thing to do is talk to the OnStar rep using the blue button in your car. They know what to do. They pass you onto AT&T with enough information for AT&T to add the car to your plan. For our car, they basically got the car's phone number from the OnStar rep. Otherwise you need to do horrible stuff like try to find the car's IMEI number, etc...

·
Registered
518 Posts
To get the car added to your family plan, the easiest thing to do is talk to the OnStar rep using the blue button in your car. They know what to do. They pass you onto AT&T with enough information for AT&T to add the car to your plan. For our car, they basically got the car's phone number from the OnStar rep. Otherwise you need to do horrible stuff like try to find the car's IMEI number, etc...
Thanks, but I tried that and all they could offer were the standalone plans with no reason as to why I couldn't add my car to my family share plan. Guess I can try again and hopefully another rep will have better luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks, but I tried that and all they could offer were the standalone plans with no reason as to why I couldn't add my car to my family share plan. Guess I can try again and hopefully another rep will have better luck.
I think you should try again. It should be easy. I think I said something like "I would like to add my Volt to my AT&T family data plan" and it just went from there. Took about 20 minutes, mostly waiting for AT&T's slow computer system, but there were no questions.

Here is the AT&T page:

https://www.att.com/shop/en/wireless/connected-car/gm-onstar/chevrolet.html

See note 2 at the bottom

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think you should try again. It should be easy. I think I said something like "I would like to add my Volt to my AT&T family data plan" and it just went from there. Took about 20 minutes, mostly waiting for AT&T's slow computer system, but there were no questions.

Here is the AT&T page:

https://www.att.com/shop/en/wireless/connected-car/gm-onstar/chevrolet.html

See note 2 at the bottom
I just called again and this time I did get a more knowledgeable advisor. He connected us (conference call) to AT&T's Connected Car advisor. The issue was that I have both AT&T Wireless and UVerse services on the same account which caused the two systems to not want to enable adding my car. They worked together and finally got it all worked out. They even set it up so that my complimentary data as part of the OnStar trial will be consumed first and then my car will start using the data pool from my Wireless account. Woohoo!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just called again and this time I did get a more knowledgeable advisor. He connected us (conference call) to AT&T's Connected Car advisor. The issue was that I have both AT&T Wireless and UVerse services on the same account which caused the two systems to not want to enable adding my car. They worked together and finally got it all worked out. They even set it up so that my complimentary data as part of the OnStar trial will be consumed first and then my car will start using the data pool from my Wireless account. Woohoo!
Great! I'm glad it worked out. It is also good info that signing up doesn't just erase your complimentary data. That will be of interest to the next person who wants to do this.

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
I hear you !!! For me it was Ryan's Toy Review on the YouTube Kids app .... burned through my trial in little over a month and seemed to use more data than my cellphone for the similar stuff when I tested a few days worth of 'typical' use such as email, waze and nothing else fancy.
Most phones tablets netbooks etc see wifi as "unmetered data, use all you want", so they'll do things like back up all your data and media, install updates, etc, that they generally avoid over their own potentially expensive mobile data. That's probably where a lot of that went.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts