GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
They have a great opportunity to capitalize being the first "mainstream" long range EV to market. I hope they do it right.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Just waiting for the Bolt order form to appear on the Chevy Website...:)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Having a point-of-sale cost reduction instead of a tax rebate would help too, he said. "It's very difficult to keep everybody up to speed and for dealers to even know what the incentives currently are.
You would think that if a third party was handing out multi-thousand dollar grants to help sell your product, you'd at least take notice. If dealers can't even be bothered to help sell the car, what's the point of having a dealer network?

You had one job to do...

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
You would think that if a third party was handing out multi-thousand dollar grants to help sell your product, you'd at least take notice. If dealers can't even be bothered to help sell the car, what's the point of having a dealer network?

You had one job to do...
And yet, the Cadillac dealer where I bought the ELR (and they also sold Fisker) had no clue that Texas had a grant of $2500 for alt-fuel vehicles. This included CNG.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
This title suggests that they haven't been marketing the right way in the past. Most here would agree.

However, there's a more troubling point made in this article, and it's that without incentives (of which the federal may be gone by the time it hits the market) selling in higher quantities may be a real problem:

Now, there's a fairly decent chance that GM will hit the 250,000-vehicle limit for the $7,500 federal tax incentive right about when the Bolt comes to market, so I had to ask how the Bolt gets marketed if the price tag jumps up a few thousand dollars. Balch was straightforward. "Well, we would sell fewer cars," he said. "It's pure and simple. ... We need the incentives to remain. We know that they're critical.

............. Balch said that GM is working with regulators and policy makers to show them this data and is making the case that the incentives need to be extended and maybe expanded.
You can market it to death, but if it's out of most people's price range...... Speaking for myself, $11.5K in incentives sealed the deal in late 2013.

·
Administrator
21,475 Posts
The tax credit does not disappear, it is phased out at smaller amounts over time

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
The tax credit does not disappear, it is phased out at smaller amounts over time
Yes.

IRS.gov said:
Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit (IRC 30D) Phase Out

The qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle credit phases out for a manufacturer’s vehicles over the one-year period beginning with the second calendar quarter after the calendar quarter in which at least 200,000 qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer have been sold for use in the United States (determined on a cumulative basis for sales after December 31, 2009) (“phase-out period”). Qualifying vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are eligible for 50 percent of the credit if acquired in the first two quarters of the phase-out period and 25 percent of the credit if acquired in the third or fourth quarter of the phase-out period. Vehicles manufactured by that manufacturer are not eligible for a credit if acquired after the phase-out period.
The time is 1 year. Note that in the article Balch uses the number 250,000. Balch may be estimating the final 50,000 will be the number sold in that final year, and ahead of the Bolt rollout.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Well, talk is cheap. I hope that GM manages to market the Bolt effectively but based on their complete ineptitude with marketing the Volt so far I'm not holding my breath. Then the is the problem with the vast majority of their stealerships not having a clue about EVs and their incentives and in fact having a perverse disincentive to sell EVs due to lost service income potential.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
It's great that GM marketing finally figured out that "the thing is, driving an EV is, in every proof point, better than a gas-powered car, except for charging." Yeah! And the charging is mixed since home charging is better than a gas station. Just not on trips.

The comment about reaching the limit for rebates seems highly inaccurate. GM has sold 83,000 Volts along with a small number of Sparks and ELRs, and the limit is 250,000. There is a phase out period but it's hard to see that coming into play before 2019 or 2020 even if it hits its sales targets. It could of course just sell in CARB states since this is where it needs to hit the green footprint numbers.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
The comment about reaching the limit for rebates seems highly inaccurate. GM has sold 83,000 Volts along with a small number of Sparks and ELRs, and the limit is 250,000. There is a phase out period but it's hard to see that coming into play before 2019 or 2020 even if it hits its sales targets.
I think it's a stretch too. But, it will happen at some point in the near future. So his point about lobbying for more incentives is still important. Even in the first 2 quarters of the phase out (whenever that is) expect to see sales numbers drop substantially.

Now if they can drop the prices substantially by then, it could all be just fine. I forgot to mention earlier that the $5K price drop in 2013 is what got me into the second test drive that sealed the deal.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Both Bob Lutz and former GM CEO Dan Akerson said that the Gen 1 Violt was losing money for GM. Given that, it's no surprise here that GM didn't make much of an effort to market the car.

We recently learned that the LG battery cells in the Bolt will cost $145/kwh. The Bolt's battery pack will probably be between 50kwh and 60kwr. Even at 60kwr, that's 60 * $145 = $8700 for the battery cells alone. Given that the Bolt will sell for a little less that $30K with the $7500 tax incentive, it seems reasonable to think that GM will make a profit on the Bolt.

I think GM will be delighted to market a profitable product. Not only will the Bolt be profitable for GM, but it will make for a great halo product for the entire brand. Just like the Prius did for Toyota.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
The sales limit is 200,000 not 250,000. My mistake but as MisterDave says, still a stretch. The phase out is complex. You get the quarter when you hit the limit. Then you get the next quarter. Then the phase out starts. Should be some rocking deals at some point.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Now if they can drop the prices substantially by then, it could all be just fine. I forgot to mention earlier that the $5K price drop in 2013 is what got me into the second test drive that sealed the deal.
This is interesting. The "price cut" wasn't so much of a cut as it was matching MSRP with transaction prices. Mostly it made leasing less attractive. But it attracted people like you are describing. So would cutting MSRP By $4000 be better than a $7500 tax credit?

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
The title of this thread should have been "Chevy to commit the volt marketing team right away" as in to an insane asylum. Yup, trying to market a car by ignoring it placing no Adam and hoping it sells really works.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
That is an important point. If the 200,000th GM electric car is sold on December 30th, 2017, the full credit gets reduced to $3750 on April 1st, 2018. If the 200,000th car is sold on January 2nd, 2018, the full credit gets reduced on July 1st 2018. GM has sold/leased less than 100,000 Volts/Sparks/ELR's. Even with improved sales numbers for the Gen II Volt coming soon, we aren't going to see the 200k mark hit by GM for a couple years. In fact, July of 2018 is a fairly decent guess as to when the full tax credit will go away, given the present $2 a gallon gasoline pricing. From 11/2015 to 7/2018 a whole lot of progress will be made on range, speed of charging and on pricing.
When GM, Tesla and Nissan run out of credits, the electric car world will be a very different, and better, place than it is right now.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

The sales limit is 200,000 not 250,000. My mistake but as MisterDave says, still a stretch. The phase out is complex. You get the quarter when you hit the limit. Then you get the next quarter. Then the phase out starts. Should be some rocking deals at some point.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Don, that is another good point. Reducing the MSRP has a larger affect than offering deals on the car, because most people don't know how to deal. Half the population looked at the Volt MSRP in 2012 and said, "I can't afford a $40,000 car!" Even though the Feds would reduce your taxes by $7500 and the dealers were putting $5,000 on the hood of the car, making it a $27,500 car, a lot of people just didn't get it. I talked to a Cruze owner a couple days ago. He thought the Volt costs $40,000, didn't know about the tax credit. He was dumbstruck that he could have gotten a 2015MY Volt, easily, for $22k.
GM needs to get the MSRP of the Volt down.

This is interesting. The "price cut" wasn't so much of a cut as it was matching MSRP with transaction prices. Mostly it made leasing less attractive. But it attracted people like you are describing. So would cutting MSRP By $4000 be better than a $7500 tax credit?

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
It's great that GM marketing finally figured out that "the thing is, driving an EV is, in every proof point, better than a gas-powered car, except for charging." Yeah! And the charging is mixed since home charging is better than a gas station. Just not on trips.

The comment about reaching the limit for rebates seems highly inaccurate. GM has sold 83,000 Volts along with a small number of Sparks and ELRs, and the limit is 250,000. There is a phase out period but it's hard to see that coming into play before 2019 or 2020 even if it hits its sales targets. It could of course just sell in CARB states since this is where it needs to hit the green footprint numbers.
Quarter that the _manufacturer_ reaches 200,000.
Plus 1 quarter
Then 2 quarters at 50%.
Then 2 quarters at 25%.

Dumb structure, since it encourages manufacturers to play games and hit the 200,000 mark only when they have a high production rate, which means low cost and high margin.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts