GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is the Chevy Camaro being discontinued after 2023?

GM has become an expert at dropping products, slashing expenses, and retreating. I think it has become a part of their culture.

Today I was thinking about all of the sedans I see on the road today, including Chevy Cruze's and the like.
There are people who could only afford those products either new or second hand, and there are a lot of them out there still. That market will not suddenly be able to afford higher priced SUV's, they will still be in the market for much cheaper vehicles. With Ford and GM moving out of sedan manufacturing, the market for those remaining manufacturers will grow before it ultimately shrinks if sedan trends continue. Just seems like this move leaves Ford and GM more vulnerable to market swings.

source:
https://uk.motor1.com/news/356723/chevy-camaro-discontinue-2023/amp/

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
GM & Ford are betting on oil prices staying at their near historic (inflation adjusted) lows. To maintain these low prices Republicans must remain in power in at least one of the three elected areas of our government (President, Senate, House of Representatives) to ensure Democrat policies to move us to a non-carbon based economy don't get implemented.

If the Democrats gain control of all three of the above then GM and Ford will be destroyed by a combination of market forces (high fuel prices) and political policy. These two companies have left themselves wide open to this by effectively ceding 20% of the market to their competition for short term profits.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Interesting that Nascar just switched the upper level Cup series to Cameros, Mustangs, and Superas (which personally makes more sense racing each other than Impalas, Fusions, and Camerys). Rules are the cars must be current production models, so I'm chuckling at the thought of Traverses, Explorers and RAV4s trying to turn 200mph laps at Talladega. Either that or the Nascar truck series will become the premier (or only) series.

2019 Volt LT, Pacific Blue, Power Convenience Package, LT Driver Confidence Package, Comfort Package, nicknamed "Voltemort".

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
GM & Ford are betting on oil prices staying at their near historic (inflation adjusted) lows. To maintain these low prices Republicans must remain in power in at least one of the three elected areas of our government (President, Senate, House of Representatives) to ensure Democrat policies to move us to a non-carbon based economy don't get implemented.

If the Democrats gain control of all three of the above then GM and Ford will be destroyed by a combination of market forces (high fuel prices) and political policy. These two companies have left themselves wide open to this by effectively ceding 20% of the market to their competition for short term profits.

Market forces are going to overwhelm the oil market regardless of who's controlling political policies. Renewables are already on a par with fossil fuels, and as their costs drop, oil prices may rise to remain profitable. Smart companies (e.g. Shell) are already heavily diversifying into renewables.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
And where are all the new EV's we have been promised? A performance car doesn't need an ICE.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Head down to the Chevy dealer and sit in a Camaro coupe. I think you will see immediately why the Gen 6 has been a marketing dud.
It won't be missed.

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Well, they cancelled it before back in 2002, then resurrected it 8 years later. I only wish Chevy would resurrect the Volt someday.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The current looks are a poor cartoon of the the first Gen Camaro. Proportions look like a 10 year old drew the body. Not a car that will stand the test of time- enough has been said by all reviewers about the cheap interior-Silverado truck has the same issue. GM is phoning it in right now.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
And where are all the new EV's we have been promised?

I believe they are slated for 2021- 2023, no? I don't recall any announcement that said 2019 for the new EV's.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I believe they are slated for 2021- 2023, no? I don't recall any announcement that said 2019 for the new EV's.
It takes at least 2 years to get a product into production, longer if you don't have all your ducks in a row. Pretty quick when you consider it took at least 5 years in previous decades. Honda was quickest and was able to bring out the newest technologies at least a year before the others which gave them a leg up to get to where they are now. Of course as time passes, others pick up and catch up. We are so impatient nowadays or perhaps it's just the pace of new technologies coming on stream.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
GM publicly stated in late 2017 that they would have two new vehicles in 18 months and 20 by 2023. We are going to see those new vehicles very shortly. One might have been the Velite 6 already. The other is going to be the new BEV2 CUV.

The new flexible global EV architecture at GM (BEV3) will show it's head in 2022. There will be a large number of vehicles on this architecture.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts