1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
151 Posts
Great looking car. I'm strongly considering pulling my deposit back that I put down on the Model 3

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
878 Posts
Thanks for posting this, bro! This article is a well-needed summary/reality-check of the mule-to-production on-road evaluation process evolved through hard-earned experience by most car companies, along with the typical timeline. We who have been long-time members on the forum directly witnessed this process via the Gen 1 Volt development (less visibly with Gen 2), but I don't recall the whole process ever being formally explained.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I think the Bolt is a good looking and has a very functional layout. At the Chicago Auto Show it almost looked good enough for me to overlook range anxiety and just use it for local and near local travel.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
"given Tesla’s history of late and troubled vehicle launches and seeing as many Bolts as I have on the road over the past year the fit on the car in my neighborhood this weekend, I’d be much more inclined to trust the Chevrolet than a Model III as a primary mode of transportation, at least in the early years of production."

Same here. I understand Tesla does fix issues, but the fewer trips to have a car repaired the better. I hope the interior fit of the production model is a bit better than I see in the passenger door alignment to the dash.

Bolt pre-production interior passenger door fit.jpg

·
Registered
741 Posts
"given Tesla’s history of late and troubled vehicle launches and seeing as many Bolts as I have on the road over the past year the fit on the car in my neighborhood this weekend, I’d be much more inclined to trust the Chevrolet than a Model III as a primary mode of transportation, at least in the early years of production."

Same here. I understand Tesla does fix issues, but the fewer trips to have a car repaired the better. I hope the interior fit of the production model is a bit better than I see in the passenger door alignment to the dash.

View attachment 111986
I am not sure about that photo since it shows grass for a floor board on the drivers side.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
I am not sure about that photo since it shows grass for a floor board on the drivers side.
lol, talk about being green! That had me going for a bit too until I realized it was a reflection on the driver's door window.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Good seeing them out in the "real world" being driven like owners will drive them. At 3/4 MPH charging a car like the Bolt could also test the homes wiring.

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
My ideal second car for decades has been a Volvo wagon. Safety, interior hauling volume, roof rack for the occasional sheet of plywood or long lumber. I realize the Bolt EV is not in the same size classification, but all in all I think it will be a decent, maybe great, replacement. I'll likely be getting one for May 2017. I still want to see and drive one. I hope Chevy rolls it out nationwide at the same time, rather than the staggered rollout they seem to prefer.

I have about 12 months to clear out the other side of my garage, haha.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
nice quick article and those two shots of the Volt in his neighbor's yard makes it clear it is a good looking car.

Still we have to hope he is merely visiting that home, Christmas lights should be down by now, even up there!

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still we have to hope he is merely visiting that home, Christmas lights should be down by now, even up there!
They are "Holiday lights"....good all year 'round! Just pick a holiday. :p

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
From the article: "The difference is that more experienced automakers don’t typically blame their customers for issues like this, at least not in public". This. Unbelievable how Tesla attacked the guy who had his wheel fall off. Bush League move.

The article makes a good point that hardware issues are different than software issues. It's great to fix the latter with OTA updates, but if the suspension fails because of galvanic corrosion a software update isn't going to help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would agree the Bolt would be more trouble free than the Model 3 especially in the first years of Model 3 production but the charging issue is a killer for me. I will go with the Volt for that reason alone and then in three years will see what is on offer as there will be a lot more choices available in 2020....

·
Administrator
19,980 Posts
I would agree the Bolt would be more trouble free than the Model 3 especially in the first years of Model 3 production but the charging issue is a killer for me. I will go with the Volt for that reason alone and then in three years will see what is on offer as there will be a lot more choices available in 2020....
If I could have only one car, it would be the Volt. All electric for most commutes, but no range limits for very long distance travel. I can get a Bolt because I'll also have my Volt.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
If I could have only one car, it would be the Volt. All electric for most commutes, but no range limits for very long distance travel. I can get a Bolt because I'll also have my Volt.
I am with you on this one, if they put in a CCS charger in Birmingham Alabama I would trade my Volt in on a Bolt but since my only "long" drive goes through Birmingham and a L2 charger there would add 6 hours to the trip that is a no-go. I will be keeping the Volt and probably leasing a Bolt instead of purchasing.

Keith

·
Registered
355 Posts
I try to make points like this daily on other forums, in an attempt to educate the 20-somethings that have no life/work experience and therefore believe every word that drops from Musk's lips. No offense to 20-somethings on this site, of course. ;)

When Musk said he was going to produce 100-200k Model 3s by 2018, I about spit out my lunch; yet in the next breath he said that the design wasn't frozen and that all the suppliers had not been chosen. ANYBODY working in the auto industry knows that what he stated is not possible. Not by a long shot. This brings us back to the validation discussion. You can't validate a vehicle, until the design is locked and the parts are being made by the production intent supplier on a production intend process. Then you can START to validate....which could take 6-12 months depending on the system or component being validated. The only way that Tesla can produce M3s in 2017 is if they skip validation. Who's comfortable with that?

Think about corrosion. There are accelerated corrosion tests, but these still take many many months to complete and need to be correlated with real-world data to be of any use. Not sure how Tesla manages this type of testing because they don't have a historical database to compare results to and they probably lack a facility to do the testing at.

I seriously question the long-term durability of the Model S. This is essentially the first, real, volume production car produced by Tesla. They nailed the styling and performance and that is what sells cars, but to maintain their momentum and survive as a company, they need to build quality...and you can't do that by rushing to production.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'm going to hang on to my Prius C until I'm comfortable with either renting for longer trips or I feel the charging infrastructure is adequate for the kinds of trips I'm likely to take.

The Bolt/Volt combination doesn't make as much sense to me because for trips longer than the Bolt can do the Volt burns more gas. It seems to me like there's a pretty small window where the Volt might be better for trips that are just shy of the Bolt's range and you don't want to risk running out of charge in the Bolt, but other than that by my calculations the lower fuel consumption of the Prius C makes it the better choice for trips beyond around 300km (200 miles), assuming the Volt starts with a full charge.

But if you've already got a Volt then it probably makes sense to stick with it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts