GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
Does anyone think that the stars have aligned for the 2nd half of 2017 Bolt sales?

a- Bolt made it to all states so there was some pent up demand
b- People are concerned that the $7,500 tax credit will only be available in 2017 so jumped on a purchase
c- Major competitor vehicles are not out for 2017 plus with 'b' (LEAF 2.0 and Model 3) -- obviously Nissan can produce them in quantity and by the looks of the sales in other countries people are very happy with the LEAF 2.0 & a few hundred [thousand] reservations for the Model 3 are still in play (and reviews are by in larger extremely positive)

The above seems like the obvious elephant in the room.

Given the above what do people think will happen to sales by June 2018? Predictions for *each* month through July 1st?

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
My hunch is it falls by 50% after Christmas and maybe gets back to 1500 or 2000 in July with heavy discounts. Might be worse if tax credit goes away.

I think Bolt EV is a transition vehicle that will go away in 3 years or so. That way they can offer a better equipped vehicle for the same money, and a cheaper vehicle with worse specs.

It is possible the keep Bolt EV just as commercial vehicle, but I dont see it getting many buyers due to it being a $40k compact hatch. GM needs to cut the price by $10k post tax credit, but how do you do that without upsetting owners? New models with different features. Volt will be dead in its current form post tax credit for same reasons.

I would buy the $44k premium model, but only with tax credit and maybe 10-15% off (GM average is 13% or so incentive), otherwise I would just get a LR Model 3 for the same price.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Make that a few hundred thousand to a half million Model 3 reservations. Tesla will eventually figure it out and blow everything else out of the pond. The current reality is that 20k cars (even 1M) is a pond not the whole market. We got a ways to go.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Bolt EV Premium trim qualifies for the December Employee Discount Promotion. $3114 off. That's a pretty great deal.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
My hunch is it falls by 50% after Christmas and maybe gets back to 1500 or 2000 in July with heavy discounts. Might be worse if tax credit goes away.

I think Bolt EV is a transition vehicle that will go away in 3 years or so. That way they can offer a better equipped vehicle for the same money, and a cheaper vehicle with worse specs.

It is possible the keep Bolt EV just as commercial vehicle, but I dont see it getting many buyers due to it being a $40k compact hatch. GM needs to cut the price by $10k post tax credit, but how do you do that without upsetting owners? New models with different features. Volt will be dead in its current form post tax credit for same reasons.

I would buy the $44k premium model, but only with tax credit and maybe 10-15% off (GM average is 13% or so incentive), otherwise I would just get a LR Model 3 for the same price.
The M3LR will be $50k at least to start with if you'll drive a black car.
Nobody knows if Tesla can make money at that price.

Something everybody forgets: Tesla still does not know how to make money selling cars. They make money by selling stock shares.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
The discounts are really low on Bolts and they still sell. I almost snapped one up when they were $6000 off MSRP, now I regret it.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts

GM plans to use Bolts for their robo-taxi fleet, so even if it eventually gets phased out, it will live on as an autonomous taxi for a while. And then there's the 20 other EVs GM is releasing soon, at least one being a direct Bolt successor.
I'm happy paving the way for superior BEVs

·
Registered
13,940 Posts
Make that a few hundred thousand to a half million Model 3 reservations. Tesla will eventually figure it out and blow everything else out of the pond. The current reality is that 20k cars (even 1M) is a pond not the whole market. We got a ways to go.
GM could cut Tesla off at the knees by introducing a $60k EV Roadster with AWD (2 Bolt Motors) and the same range as the Bolt, then add an option to hit 400-600 miles of range and 3 or 4 Bolt Motors for say 80-100k. Who wants to wait forever for the Tesla Roadster 2 to finally get released (most likely with additional production delays beyond their promised delivery date)?

·
Registered
6,672 Posts
I could be wrong but I think we are running out of folks that are willing to $40K+ for a BEV that can't be operated w/o limitations. Something is going to have to give.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts

Really no reason for the Bolt to go away. The form factor's reasonable. They'll just add other vehicles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts