GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Tesla sales should only be considered quarterly for a given market.

From a revenue generation standpoint if Tesla sells a similar number of Model S cars as GM does the Bolt EV, Tesla is generating far more revenue.

GM should sell 10x as many given the price point, problem is it isn't the right type of vehicle to do that.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts

·
Administrator
20,588 Posts
This is where Musk's wildly over-the-top claim that Tesla will be producing 5,000 Model 3's per month in December would seem to give people pause. But his base doesn't care, they like the story.

GM is seen as boring and plodding in comparison, but they actually delivered the Bolt on time, on budget at production rates in December 2016, basically a full year (maybe more) ahead of the Model 3. We still don't know when the Model 3 will be produced in any meaningful quantity.

And then there is the question of quality. Like my Volt, my Bolt is solid—though I have barely 5 months on it. No misalignment or other issues.

But perhaps Musks claim that his Model 3 assembly line will be a machine that builds the machine with few or no people will come to pass and teach GM and the others a new trick.

·
Super Moderator
6,361 Posts
This is where Musk's wildly over-the-top claim that Tesla will be producing 5,000 Model 3's per month in December would seem to give people pause. But his base doesn't care, they like the story.
I thought the thread was general about Tesla sales (S,X,3)?
There was a slow rampup with the S and the X as well but now they are producing as many as they need. How many years did GM, Ford, etc have to perfect their car building ;) -- like 100+ years -- with that amount of history suppliers are solid and lined up

IMO, certainly a good thing in the long run that the Model 3 production was delayed as it gives them more time to get feedback and make any minor adjustments. The reviews are looking good. I don't need a Model 3 but it is good for Tesla current and future customers in general. Continued S and X support ... continued innovative new cars like the semi and roadster. They sell as many
powerwalls (home) and powerpacks (utility) as they can make it seems so that keeps steady money as well.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Tesla sales should only be considered quarterly for a given market.

From a revenue generation standpoint if Tesla sells a similar number of Model S cars as GM does the Bolt EV, Tesla is generating far more revenue.

GM should sell 10x as many given the price point, problem is it isn't the right type of vehicle to do that.
If GM came out with the Model 3 it would struggle to sell 10K a year. A small sedan for $45K? No one would want it and everyone would mock it -- especially the jail cell interior -- as the "new Aztec". In the case of the Model 3 people are buying the brand not the product, which by any objective measure is pretty crappy.

Your points about sales are correct and perfectly valid. Selling the same number of $100K vehicles as $35K vehicles is far more impressive. However, the larger point -- the reality check so to speak -- would be that while everyone talks about how successful Tesla is, the fact is that GM has sold more electrics than Tesla.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
AND in October, the Bolt outsold ALL Tesla models combined. While Tesla should post much bigger sales numbers in December, there's a chance the Bolt could still top the S and/or the X, as Tesla did decrease their outlook for sales in Q4 for the S and X by 10% in their last earnings call. If the Bolt can post a 4k+ number in Dec, it may be enough to be #1 for the 3rd straight month to close the year.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Dude,
Nobody with any sense clicks a random blind link these days.
If you are going to post something at least give us enough background info so that we can decide if we think it's okay to click or not.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Dude,
If you are going to post something at least give us enough background info so that we can decide if we think it's okay to click or not.
People with even more sense will skip Yahoo Finance reporting. ;)

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Dude,
If you understand internet technology and see a link like: "yahoo.com....." you recognize it as legitimate. When you get a random aliased link, and don't check the actual URL before clinking on it, then you get what you deserve.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I click links willy-nilly myself. My AV protects me from most of them and if someone gets my IP and DDOSes me, I'll have a new IP in under 2 minutes. ;) Not worth the effort trying to CSI a link IMO.

Mike

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I click links willy-nilly myself. My AV protects me from most of them and if someone gets my IP and DDOSes me, I'll have a new IP in under 2 minutes. ;) Not worth the effort trying to CSI a link IMO.

Mike
No CSI needed. A quick hover reveals all of them. Until thieves figure out how to spoof actual addresses you are safe. But clicking willy-nilly and relying on your AV software is a recipe for disaster.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts

GM is seen as boring and plodding in comparison, but they actually delivered the Bolt on time, on budget at production rates in December 2016, basically a full year (maybe more) ahead of the Model 3. We still don't know when the Model 3 will be produced in any meaningful quantity.

And then there is the question of quality. Like my Volt, my Bolt is solid—though I have barely 5 months on it. No misalignment or other issues.

But perhaps Musks claim that his Model 3 assembly line will be a machine that builds the machine with few or no people will come to pass and teach GM and the others a new trick.

There is a striking similarity between Trump & Trump supporters and Musk & Tesla fans. Both sets are overhyping and their followers believe it, hook line and sinker.

They're both like cults. No rhyme or reason why the others are all wrong or fake news and they're not.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
There is a striking similarity between Trump & Trump supporters and Musk & Tesla fans. Both sets are overhyping and their followers believe it, hook line and sinker.

They're both like cults. No rhyme or reason why the others are all wrong or fake news and they're not.
Keep going. Let's not forget the last populist who just left office. Did you support him?

·
Registered
319 Posts
It seems that Bolt is taking a fair chunk out of Volt's sales. Rats! Well, I wish Tesla All the Best, but I predict that aging Model S sales (aging in appearance, primarily) will, likewise, get clobbered by increasing Model 3 sales. (assuming, of course, that they start hitting production level output) We hope for synergy, but sometimes we get cannibalism.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Model S sales in US do not equal production. This is why deliveries of Model S/X are weird, as they are probably concentrating on international deliveries in first part of quarter and US in second part of quarter. Model 3 will be all US when deliveries start, so there won't be the same quarterly ramp initially.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts