GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Bolt EV for a little over two months and have put 2,000 miles on the car. I have driven a 1st generation Volt for the past 6 years and decided to go all in on electric. I was not totally impressed with the Tesla Model 3 to spend upwards of $20,000 more than the Bolt. In summary, I am very satisfied with my decision.

Likes and dislikes - I am averaging over 260 miles per charge according to the DIC. That is significantly higher than the rated mileage of 238. I have yet to deplete the battery more than 50% but it does completely charge overnight with a Level 2 charger. I like the front and rear leg room. My son is 6 ft 4 and has plenty of rear leg room with the passenger seat almost all the way back. The rear hatch looks small but with one seat down there is plenty of room. This is definitely a fun car to drive. Plenty of pickup, from a dead stop or entering a highway.

One of the best features is the camera in the rear view mirror. It is crystal clear with a wide angle view. It also allows you to stack items in the hatch without worrying about rear visibility.

I am not satisfied with the way some of the safety features are reacting. The lane assist lights up on the DIC but randomly beeps if I drift . I also do not think the audio when I am backing up is reacting to objects like other vehicles do. Sometimes I get a beep and sometimes I don't when objects are close by.

I definitely do not like the XM radio interface. You do not get to see the station names on the preset list until you click up or down on the list. This is annoying as you have to remember what the station numbers are.

The seats are ok but could be more comfortable.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Congratulations!

Your range doesn't really surprise me. In my local driving, I see about the same. It's not until I'm doing sustained 70 to 75 mph driving that I really see a drop in the efficiency.

I believe you have some settings available to you to turn down/off the warning noises.

Also, on a side note, when you get into really hot temperatures, I'd recommend using Hilltop Reserve or Charge Termination to keep the battery below about 90% full.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had one of my lowest ranges yesterday, 65 miles took 27 kWh. Amazing what a little cold and snow do to range. The good news is the bolt has plenty to spare.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am averaging over 260 miles per charge according to the DIC. That is significantly higher than the rated mileage of 238. I have yet to deplete the battery more than 50% but it does completely charge overnight with a Level 2 charger.
This is a bit confusing to me. Are you saying that after driving for 260 miles and with the battery showing that is was down to 50%...that if you then drove until the battery was down to 0% that you would go *another* 260 miles?

-Jeff

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I am averaging over 260 miles per charge according to the DIC. That is significantly higher than the rated mileage of 238. I have yet to deplete the battery more than 50% but it does completely charge overnight with a Level 2 charger.
It is clear to me; the guess-o-meter shows 260 miles of range when the battery is full. When the battery charge is 50% depleted then ~130 miles range remains. By charging when the battery is still at 50% SOC it can be recharged over night at home using a Level 2 charger. Of course unless you set out on a trip to use nearly the full battery charge (not recommended) you have no way of knowing your actual range but probably more than the EPA estimated 238 miles. This is not surprising as many Bolt owners report ~300 miles of EV range; probably flatlanders who don't live in a cold climate.

·
Administrator
20,024 Posts
We always have plenty of range to spare, even in winter with snow tires, highway and heat and a 70 mile RT commute. I think of our bolt as a 70 mile Volt with a large battery "range extender". For us, no need for a gasoline engine. If we did, we'd take the Volt for that trip.

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
This is a bit confusing to me. Are you saying that after driving for 260 miles and with the battery showing that is was down to 50%...that if you then drove until the battery was down to 0% that you would go *another* 260 miles?

-Jeff
He did specify "according to the DIC," but yes, with the Bolt EV, it's perfectly possible to average 260 actual miles driven between charges.

Oddly, since GM reprogrammed it, the Range Estimator is actually more conservative in the upper 50% of the battery, so if the OP's is consistently stating 260 miles, they can more than likely drive 260+ miles per charge.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts