GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I noticed that both Progressive and Nationwide are offering me "discounts" for safe driving. This is a feature on My Chevy App.
Has anyone persued their rates and coverage and compared it with your current insurance? (the Smart Driver portion of the app tracks some interesting stuff that I was not aware of)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I don't like the way they score me for hard braking on their Smart Driver. For example, I'm coasting down, then when I reached below 5 mph, and stepped on my brake at the very last moment to stop the car at the line, it is counted as hard braking. Moving slowly in the parking lot at less than 3 mph, and then slamming on the brakes, that too is counted as hard braking. From a complete stop, then I started to barely move, less than 2 mph, but then slam on the brakes, it is still counted as hard braking! Maybe if you are completely stopped, and then release and slam the brakes again, it is counted as hard braking. In these situations, there's zero danger of hitting or colliding with anything at such slow speed and yet all counted as hard braking. WHY?????

However, if the ACC is enabled and does all the hard braking for me, they're never counted as hard braking for the Smart Driver. Their algorithm for scoring isn't smart nor logical in these circumstances of braking.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Personally I would stay away from both these companies. Progressive's commercials just grate on my nerves. Nationwide's commercials induce me to believe their insured are all idiots who couldn't get insured elsewhere.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasn't even aware that they tracked this stuff until I happened to see it on the app. I guess "big brother" really is watching :)
I use ACC all the time and I guess that is why my score is so high and they are offering me discounts on my insurance. I haven't checked yet to see how meaningful the discounts are and that is why I was asking others if they were significant enough for them to want to switch insurance coverage. I am currently with Liberty Mutual.

·
Registered
294 Posts
So I noticed that both Progressive and Nationwide are offering me "discounts" for safe driving. This is a feature on My Chevy App.
Has anyone persued their rates and coverage and compared it with your current insurance? (the Smart Driver portion of the app tracks some interesting stuff that I was not aware of)
My2018 basic onstar plan has the smart driver, and I didn't get any offer in the first evaluation period. It told me to check back a few months later. Now those few months have passed, and the website still says to "check back on that date", but obviously that date has passed for like a few months already. Did anyone who are enrolled in Smart Driver get any offers after the 2nd evaluation date?

As far as I understand, OnStar will send my driving record anonymously to insurance companies and then the companies will send me offers. The onstar rep told me that's not the case. The guy kept saying smart driver is for "the purposes of onstar services only", and they don't work with insurance companies. He kept selling me these onstar packages for $15 instead!

Do I need to pay onstar so that they will send my driving records to insurance companies? This smart driver is supposed to be on the free plan.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I DON'T AGREE WITH THEIR SCORING OF HARD BRAKING!

If I was in a parking lot, traveling under 5 mph, let us say, as fast as a person walks, at 2 mph, and I stepped hard on my brakes, it is scored negatively as a hard braking, at 2 mph? How stupid can this scoring get?

Usually I hypermile in D, I coast to a stop, apply the paddle and near the stop sign, for a precision location stop, doing already about 1 mph or less, I step quickly but hard on my brake with the intention of quick release as soon as it is safe to recoil itself from locking, this way it is always free and not creating drag, the only downside is that it scores as a hard braking on OnStar! If I do the gentle braking, I usually end up with lower MPGe.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I agree about the hard braking, but I also hate the way they penalize me for late night driving. I work the evening shift and usually clock out around 1:00-1:30 AM, so I have to drive home in the wee hours. There's a lot less traffic at this time of day, so I'm spending less time on the road. Why would this be penalized?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I agree about the hard braking, but I also hate the way they penalize me for late night driving. I work the evening shift and usually clock out around 1:00-1:30 AM, so I have to drive home in the wee hours. There's a lot less traffic at this time of day, so I'm spending less time on the road. Why would this be penalized?
You are penalized because the few people on the road at that time tend to be more tired, or more drunk. And of course you may be more tired too.

As for braking and acceleration, the last time I did this with my insurance company the threshold was acceleration/deceleration of more than 7 mph/sec. For the Volt that means you have to take off almost impossibly gently because of the instant torque available. For braking you should not be penalized if you are driving less than 7 mph. Then again, their algorithm is just a stupid computer. If the requirements were written poorly then the thing will measure poorly.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
As for braking and acceleration, the last time I did this with my insurance company the threshold was acceleration/deceleration of more than 7 mph/sec. For the Volt that means you have to take off almost impossibly gently because of the instant torque available. For braking you should not be penalized if you are driving less than 7 mph. Then again, their algorithm is just a stupid computer. If the requirements were written poorly then the thing will measure poorly.
Yes I was expecting that OnStar's scoring system will be the same as those companies that have devices that measures acceleration and decceleration, but I think OnStar went cheap, and any hard braking regardless of speed, even those way under 7 mph is scored negatively as hard braking. I agree that if you're less than 7mph any kind of braking, even slamming the brakes shouldn't count as hard braking.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Yes I was expecting that OnStar's scoring system will be the same as those companies that have devices that measures acceleration and decceleration, but I think OnStar went cheap, and any hard braking regardless of speed, even those way under 7 mph is scored negatively as hard braking. I agree that if you're less than 7mph any kind of braking, even slamming the brakes shouldn't count as hard braking.
When I said "stupid" I meant it. These systems are thoroughly annoying at best. I know at least one person who did their level best to fake out the algorithm.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Do I need to pay onstar so that they will send my driving records to insurance companies? This smart driver is supposed to be on the free plan.
Smart Driver is indeed part of the Chevrolet Connected Access plan that is standard (for our 2019 for ten years). But why would you want your driving record sent to your insurance company? So they can evaluate it and find a way to increase your insurance premiums? No thanks.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Smart Driver is indeed part of the Chevrolet Connected Access plan that is standard (for our 2019 for ten years). But why would you want your driving record sent to your insurance company? So they can evaluate it and find a way to increase your insurance premiums? No thanks.
You don't have to send the data. Those who choose not to (who ostensibly have something to hide) can continue to pay ever increasing rates -- that they might be contributing to??? Those who choose to send there data can pay discounted rates because they can show the insurance company that they are definitively not contributing to increasing rates.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
They were monitoring my driving and it didn't go so well.

They cancelled my life insurance.
Wanted my house covered for collision.
And offered 50% off flight insurance.

:(

·
Registered
294 Posts
OnStar sends my driving history anonymously to insurance companies that are affiliated with GM/OnStar. If one of those insurance companies like my history, they will contact me with offers. That's how it is written in the optional "Insurance Eligibility" feature which is part of Smart Driver. Onstar is not sending the driving history to my insurance company. I don't share that information with them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts