GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.gm.com/mol/m-2017-dec-1214-bolt-ev-top-10-engine.html

Chevrolet earns another industry recognition as the all-electric 2018 Chevrolet Bolt EV wins a 2018 Wards 10 Best Engines Award. The Bolt EV has an EPA-estimated 238-mile range on a full charge, and when it’s equipped with the optional DC Fast Charger customers can get up to 90 miles of range in 30 minutes.

“The Chevrolet Bolt EV is an affordable, world-changing vehicle that delivers on the promise of an electric car for the masses,” said Drew Winter, WardsAuto senior content director. “It is quick and smartly designed and its official range of 238 miles makes it attractive to a wider audience. Its 266 lb-ft of torque delivers thrilling acceleration, which makes it fun to drive every day, and it is available now in dealerships in all 50 states.”

For the competition, WardsAuto editors evaluate every new propulsion system available in production vehicles on sale in the U.S. Vehicles must have a starting MSRP less than $63,000. The editors score eligible vehicles on horsepower, torque, technology, observed fuel economy, relative competitiveness and noise characteristics.

“The WardsAuto 10 Best recognition of the Bolt EV propulsion system is an accolade for the entire team behind its design, engineering and manufacturing,” said Tim Grewe, general director for GM Global Electrification programs. “Chevrolet committed to offering the world’s first affordable, long-range EV and delivered. More than 20,000 Bolt EV owners are already benefiting from great range and performance thanks to its state-of-the-art battery and electric motor technology.”

·
Administrator
20,231 Posts
We really enjoy our Bolt EV. Just sold the fully trimmed Cadillac SRX it replaced. No regrets.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Yeah, I want a Bolt, someday...
But this part needs clarification:
"when it’s equipped with the optional DC Fast Charger customers can get up to 90 miles of range in 30 minutes."

Nope.
That only work that way in a very defined Temperature Range.
I test drove one and saw it sit there at a 50 kW DCFC station sucking it up at just ~20 kW.

When the battery temp can be user configured to allow it to successfully charge at the advertised rate while on a cold road trip,,
and when 'Super Cruise' is an option,,,
I'll stop sitting on my hands.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I like the Bolt EV too, but the charge rate would hold me back from buying it as my only car. The base Model 3 charges about 50% faster, and the long range model almost 100% faster. Than the 90 miles in 30 min claim from GM. Plus, there are many Superchargers within driving distance of me. CCS is a no go for me for long range travel as the closest is about 150 miles away in Madison, so if I wanted to drive to Chicago I would have to take a many mile detour through Madison, and it would be pushing the range at 75 mph in winter. Plus, CCS would limit me to only travel east. I need to go west, but there is a large void of CCS chargers that direction. I will probably just buy a used i3 unless something more interesting comes along.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
"when it’s equipped with the optional DC Fast Charger customers can get up to 90 miles of range in 30 minutes."
How many miles do you drive in a day?

I get a kick out of all this stuff. I only have to replace the charge I use. Most days that's less than 20 miles. Weekends just a bit more but with L2 3.3kW charging I haven't needed any petrol (other than ERDTT use this week). One time in the last year have I exceeded my Volt's range, but that's because my financial advisor's office is way out in the bean fields.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
How many miles do you drive in a day? I get a kick out of all this stuff. ...
Approx. 50 miles if I just commute to work. ~180 miles in a day if I make an airport run thrown into the mix. More than that if I then step out that night!
And I can do that with my current little S-box BEV, which charges great at the rated 50 kW when I make those 10-15 minute pit stops at a DCFC stations on long distance days, regardless of the weather.
AND,,without burning a drop of 'petrol' or doing any oil changes in the ~2.5 years I've owned it!!

See, we are talking about a brand new thing with long range BEV's. This is not about PHEV's.
But these new BEV's have to reliably charge at a DCFC station to be used for long distance travel.

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Approx. 50 miles if I just commute to work. ~180 miles in a day if I make an airport run thrown into the mix. More than that if I then step out that night!
And I can do that with my current little S-box BEV, which charges great at the rated 50 kW when I make those 10-15 minute pit stops at a DCFC stations on long distance days, regardless of the weather.
AND,,without burning a drop of 'petrol' or doing any oil changes in the ~2.5 years I've owned it!!

See, we are talking about a brand new thing with long range BEV's. This is not about PHEV's.
But these new BEV's have to reliably charge at a DCFC station to be used for long distance travel.
Sounds like a Bolt will work for you, no?

I'd consider it but every time I do something like this I wind up coughing up at least $20K cash. That's usually a tough hill to climb with my better half. Last time it took a year to get 'er done.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
...this part needs clarification:

Nope.
That only work that way in a very defined Temperature Range.
Which is exactly why the claim includes the words "up to". In other words, "that's the best you're going to be able to do". It makes no promises beyond that.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Which is exactly why the claim includes the words "up to". In other words, "that's the best you're going to be able to do". It makes no promises beyond that.
Ahh, good catch, and a "gotchu" for that claim. Nice marketing GM !

Only as I said, my little GM S-box BEV consistently charges at the 50 kW rate when I DCFC.
So I shall live with it for now and not spend money on a Bolt until this is fixed. Plus, I want some new tech, like 'Super Cruise'!

·
Registered
11,416 Posts
Ahh, good catch, and a "gotchu" for that claim. Nice marketing GM !

Only as I said, my little GM S-box BEV consistently charges at the 50 kW rate when I DCFC.
So I shall live with it for now and not spend money on a Bolt until this is fixed. Plus, I want some new tech, like 'Super Cruise'!
Oh, I remember now.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Just an FYI that relatively rigorous tests on Ampera-e's on 150 A (55 kW) CCS chargers in Norway showed the Bolt would charge to 100 miles in 30 minutes, 180 miles in one hour, and 215 miles in 90 minutes. We can probably assume that the Bolt would have the same characteristics on a 150 A CCS charger here in the US. The Bolt can not compete at all with the long-range Model 3 on charge speed, but if comparing 0-80% aggregate charge speed, it likely is pretty close to the base Model 3's net charge speed, as Tesla's tend to have more taper above 50% charge.

We just don't have many 150 A CCS chargers installed in the US yet. Most are 125 amps, which max out at 48 kW net output.

·
Administrator
20,231 Posts
An oft-used phrase in marketing.
Not always. But your mileage may vary...

I've had my Bolt since August. Use it every day for a commute that is almost twice as long as the typical commuter if 40 mile RT is typical. Half highway, half city. My wife has a bit of a lead foot and is not shy about using the heat either. She always arrives home with plenty of spare miles, we recharge at night. We've never needed a road-trip charge. I was considering a trip to Milwaukee in the Bolt, but took the Volt instead because it has snow tires. Maybe this summer.

Anyway, all the angst about supercharging and cross country trips is lost on me. I can count on one hand the number of times I used a public charge station in 6-1/2 years. It's more of a novelty for me than a must have. From what I have read, most Tesla owners don't drive cross country either. But certainly some do. I know ScottF here has done it in his (old, RIP) Model X and I suspect he will with his new one as well.

For me, a DCFC between Chicago and Milwaukee would be of interest, but to be practical you'd need a bank of them and all in working order and preferably at a rest stop or service oasis. I think Tesla's network is largely a ("I must have it!") marketing gimmick, but one that does have practical use for some on occasion. I would need it maybe 2-3 times/year, but I can simply take the Volt instead.

·
Registered
2013 Diamond White
383 Posts
We really enjoy our Bolt EV. Just sold the fully trimmed Cadillac SRX it replaced. No regrets.
Good to know. Traded our SRX in on the Volt. Now my wife is lobbying me to give the Volt to the grand daughter when she turns 16, in three years. Don't know if I'd replace it with a Volt, Bolt or something not even available yet. Sure love the Volt, though.

·
Administrator
20,231 Posts
Good to know. Traded our SRX in on the Volt. Now my wife is lobbying me to give the Volt to the grand daughter when she turns 16, in three years. Don't know if I'd replace it with a Volt, Bolt or something not even available yet. Sure love the Volt, though.
For me, the Volt and a Bolt are a great combo. And we are now almost entirely gas free. The Volt showed us what an Ev can do, how much range we actually need without the anxiety of "will we run out?". So we knew the Bolt would be like the Volt, but with a huge battery-based range extender.

Someone in another thread was very concerned about winter range loss in the Bolt due to the heater. My wife's response was. "Who the hell cares? I don't look at gas stations or battery range anymore." She has a 70 mile round trip commute with side trips and always arrives home with plenty to spare even with heater blasting. The drive train is silky smooth while the SRX was not.

If I was Cadillac I might wonder a bit at people dumping them for two different Chevy EV models. Cadillac should be the Tesla of GM, but GM's ELR was a styling success and a price/performance loser in that regard.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
If I was Cadillac I might wonder a bit at people dumping them for two different Chevy EV models. Cadillac should be the Tesla of GM, but GM's ELR was a styling success and a price/performance loser in that regard.

The Volt should have been a bigger size, over $50k Cadillac to begin with. And then have its tech trickle down to Chevrolet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I find it odd that there is so much emphasis on fast charging and charging stations. The Bolt has more than enough range for the vast majority of drivers in America and most could get by with standard 120 volt charging at home a few nights a week. I mean if you drive 100 miles a day you are an outlier and you need to move closer to your job.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I find it odd that there is so much emphasis on fast charging and charging stations. The Bolt has more than enough range for the vast majority of drivers in America and most could get by with standard 120 volt charging at home a few nights a week. I mean if you drive 100 miles a day you are an outlier and you need to move closer to your job.
Agree, move closer has always been my solution. Also, pick a place that's east of work if you have to drive there in the morning to avoid being blinded by sunrise and sunset...

My sister's place is exactly 120 miles from mine, and both times we have done the trip, the Bolt arrived with just above half a charge. The first time we went to a DCFC on the way home for a half hour to avoid running the battery out on the return trip.
This time I checked PlugShare for regular 240V stations and found a free one that was about 5 blocks away. Left it there for about 5-6 hours while we were hanging out. Got home with just over half a charge.

So I think I may be over my DCFC addiction that started with the Spark we traded in for the Bolt.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Just an FYI that relatively rigorous tests on Ampera-e's on 150 A (55 kW) CCS chargers in Norway showed the Bolt would charge to 100 miles in 30 minutes, 180 miles in one hour, and 215 miles in 90 minutes. ....
I'll bet this was while the battery was warmed to the point of accepting the 55kW for those numbers to be reported. Is there any mention of usage before the charging and ambient temps?

I and Bro, (who was on a road trip at the time), could not get the rated 48 kW from a 50 kW DCFC station.
I sat there seeing 20-23 kW and stopped the test and took the test drive back to the dealer and said "No Deal".

Sure the Bolt is a great EV and lots of owners are happy to never leave 'X Radius' from home and ONLY charge at home. To each his own.

But some of us, and many new (young) potential buyers, think the Bolt may be good as your only car,,,
if there is a way to make occasional road trips and use the ever-growing DCFC network.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts