GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Never saw this picture or some (pict/speaker "details") of the info before and thought I'd share.

http://www.boston.com/business/ticker/2011/01/chevy_volts_can.html

In all the hoopla surrounding the new Chevrolet Volt not many people have discussed the type of entertainment system in the vehicle. As you might expect, you can't have the usual in an unusual car. The Bose Energy Efficient Series sound system uses a proprietary design and exclusive Bose technologies. The new sound system delivers premium high-quality audio, but is 30% smaller, 40% lighter and uses 50% less energy than automotive sound systems with comparable performance.

Bose High Efficiency Technology
The Bose Energy Efficient Series sound system features Bose switching amplification, High Motor Force speakers and proprietary control circuitry to reproduce sound at concert hall volumes, while reducing its power consumption by half. The Bose amplifier runs cooler than conventional linear amplifiers, and uses a smaller, lighter heat sink, significantly reducing its size and weight. Using exclusive control circuitry and switching technology, its energy consumption is dramatically reduced, yet it delivers eight channels of custom equalization to power the speakers: three High Motor Force woofers, one located in each front door and one integrated in the spare-tire well, two 1-inch tweeters integrated in the A-pillar; and two 4-inch neodymium mid/high-range speakers, placed in the rear doors.

Using select materials and custom design, the system delivers the performance of larger, heavier speakers. Drivers and passengers will hear musical detail throughout the frequency range, including the deep low notes required to reproduce lifelike audio.

The Bose Energy Efficient Series system comes standard on the 2011 Chevrolet Volt [and is an option on the 2012 as some folks didn't want it].

For more information visit Bose <--click me. Check out the two videos there with these graphics.
See at click me above.

·
Super Moderator
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What's odd is having such a high efficiency sound system that you cannot turn off to save power. <g>
LOL - but the above is specifically about Bose system. You can turn the display off and turn the volume down to pretend it is off. I bet it is pretty efficient like that <grin>

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
"Spare tire well"??!? We have a spare tire well? :)

Everything but the kitchen sink seems to be in the spare tire well...

·
Registered
442 Posts

Well...everything but an actual spare tire!

Paul (Cari's husband)

·
Registered
317 Posts
I agree with everybody's comments on the sound system:
1. As good as or better than any factory installed system
2. Not as good as a top end custom system
3. Should turn off "correctly"
4. Sounds great

·
Registered
178 Posts
Peeves me off that they didn't include IBOC (HD Radio). There are two classical and jazz stations in my city (Fort Wayne) that broadcast on the HD 2nd and 3rd channels of the NPR station.

·
Super Moderator
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Peeves me off that they didn't include IBOC (HD Radio). There are two classical and jazz stations in my city (Fort Wayne) that broadcast on the HD 2nd and 3rd channels of the NPR station.
Would appear Bose in general does not do HD radio.

After a quick search it appears there may be alternatives. Perhaps you want to start new thread for this topic?
yes-you-can-add-hd-radio-your-bose-hu-heres-how
http://www.nissanmurano.org/forums/69-audio-electronics/12747-yes-you-can-add-hd-radio-your-bose-hu-heres-how.html which lead me to this: http://pac-audio.com/Products.aspx?CategoryId=38

·
Registered
208 Posts
I want to start by saying I am not trying to show off, or be negative, but I have a point.

I think the Volt has a barely adequate sound system considering the design and energy constraints -- and the rather severe price/cost limitations GM had. I has only four speakers of something like that, and its obvious it has very little power behind it - the volume seems rather anemic when I turn it to high (it really does not have a blast your earfrums high), and the low frequency (bass) particularly weak compared to others.

Now, I've been spoiled. Until recently I had an Aston Vantage with a 900 Watt (seriously) factory top option system that was the best sound system I have ever heard in a car or out: I think it could probably kill if one turned it up to full volume, but it had speakers everywhere, I think 16 or so, and was so linear and perfect at normal hearing range it was beyond belief. I have a Ferrari F430 now that has a 400 watt 11 speaker system that stickered for $9K option (included Navigation though) - its nearly as good.

By contrast the Volt is worlds behind them (okay, it ought be for the money) but also noticeably less real in the bass region than the system I had recently in my 2008 Lincoln MKZ. I personally think that the Volt sound system, like the heater, is one of the few areas where it (and maybe all electric cars) requires the driver to make a real sacrifice comapred to cars with a big carbon footprint. Power just matters in feeding lots of speakers with big massive magnets to assure perfectly linearity at low frequencies, giving a flat response curve up to high frequencies, and allowing a very high volume if you want it. To quote Joseph Stalin, "Quantity has its own unique Quality." The Volt's limitations here are a substitute I will willingly accept for the efficiency of an electric - but its a deficiency compared to "normal cars" and one all of Bose's engineering didn't accomodate, in my mind. I notice the relatively weak sound all the time when driving-- noticeably less full than the Lincoln, which was, frankly, just a gussied up Fusion.

I hope I don't come off as being too negative. I love my Volt, I just think I'm being realistic about the sacrifices I accept for the efficiency it gives me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Theres really no need to write so much about the "sacrifice" with the Volt sound. One look and you know that Bose basically brought their HT tech to the car, intending to make it boomy with a small driver and a big box. I get it. It small and delivers adequately.

·
Super Moderator
6,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lee, I get your points as I have a high end home theater. However, you certainly are being unrealistic in terms of price and electronic efficiency. Your comparison is like the Volt to a Vette in terms of performance ... it is an unrealistic comparison for what the goal is ($ and efficiency). No worries, tho. Thanks for framing your post in the considerate perspective that you did.

·
Registered
494 Posts

well, it's where the spare tyre used to be instead of the goo can...call it a Volt accessoires well....something like that...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Like colors, it is not for everyone. If you like deafening booming loud, then it is not for you. but if you enjoy fine, detailed, civilized sound then you will be pleased.

The truth is the Volt has a great standard sound system.

In the front seats, the sound of the Volt is quite detailed and dynamic and have a wide sound-stage. The sound seems to come from around you. In the back seats the sound still pleasant but it looses sound-stage and bass authority.

I have own 4 new BMWs and 2 new Mercedes Benz, all have nice sounding systems, but I like the Volt stereo the best.

As for the Bose upgrade: you may be surprised with the standard system, so do yourself a favor and give a listen to both before deciding on an upgrade.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Even in an EV a car is a horrible listening environment, so all this talk of top-notch audio components in a car is just silly, IMO.

Like lipstick on a pig...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Even in an EV a car is a horrible listening environment, so all this talk of top-notch audio components in a car is just silly, IMO.

Like lipstick on a pig...
You are right, a car stereo is no match for a good home/studio setup. But, it is not a wash, it does matter, better sound can make driving more fun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts